The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Does Australia Need A New Flag?

Does Australia Need A New Flag?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. ...
  14. 19
  15. 20
  16. 21
  17. All
Hi there Mr OPINION...

I dunno Mate, perhaps a nice rickshaw in the top left-hand corner of the flag? We might as well, they'll own us shortly with the amount of investment they're pouring into the country? Is any one of our overpaid politicians watching how much (quality) agricultural land and valuable resources the Chinese are buying up recently? How about the huge dairy conglomerate in Tasmania, the biggest and best in Australia, has been purchased by a Chinese Billionaire and is only waiting for the FIRB to sign off on the deal.

And what is it exactly that the 'Foreign Investment Review Board' is doing? Are they even open for business? And is it true, they're entirely staffed and administrated by the Chinese themselves, and answerable only to Beijing? Moreover, I've heard that it's soon to be gazetted, the 26 January 2017 next, Australia Day, is now to be known as; Sino-Australia Day!
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 28 January 2016 1:56:25 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well it does coincide with the Chinese New Year so why don't we combine the two events and call it Chinese New Year Australia Day. It's the future!
Posted by Mr Opinion, Thursday, 28 January 2016 2:01:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Mr Opinion,

Why select China?

Australia is no more Chinese than it is Indian.
Or any other ethnicity.
There are also many people
from the US, New Zealand, Malaysia,
Sri Lanka, Indonesia, just to mention a few..

They're all now Australian.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 28 January 2016 2:33:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Mr Opinion,

"I just took a look out of the window. And guess what, you're right, I can't see any Chinese in Sydney. I don't know how I got it so wrong. Do me a favour will you, and poke you head out the window and see how many Eskimos are in Adelaide."
None on my street. I thought I saw some but on closer inspection they turned out to be Chinese :-)

On a more serious note, what point were you trying to make? I don't dispute there are Chinese people in Sydney. As it's currently our second largest source of migrants, that's only to be expected. But that doesn't mean most people are Chinese. You can't determine the demographics of an entire city from what you see in Chinatown.

"If we are going to become a Sino-Australian nation then we need a symbol to demonstrate this. I think my suggestion of replacing the Union Jack in the canton..."
I'm quite surprised you don't think having a canton on our flag is itself a symbol of of our Chineseness :-)

"with a miniature of the red and yellow Peoples Republic of China flag is ideal."
Not for those who see it as a symbol of the PRC's corrupt and oppressive government.

"It will maintain our image of the southern land while providing for the incorporation of Chinese who will eventually count as the largest ethnic group in Australia within the next few decades. You and everyone else on The Forum needs to stop living in the shadows of the disappearing Anglo-Australian nation and start to embrace your new Chineseness."
It's been 228 years since the First Fleet arrived. In another 228 years it's a near certainty that most young Australians will have Chinese ancestry... but also British ancestry. And probably also American, South African, Vietnamese, Greek, Spanish, Maori, Indian and Indonesian ancestry. And also ancestors from Thailand, PNG, Japan, Korea or the Philippines. But they won't identify as any of those.

They'll identify as Aboriginal!
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 28 January 2016 2:42:35 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Many people seem to agree on a new flag.
And the removal of the British symbolism.
The three things that are being stressed
are - simplicity, Southern Cross, and
Green and Gold
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 28 January 2016 2:43:41 PM
Fox, "Many people seem to agree on a new flag"

That's your echo chamber.

Walk outside and see how people are out there demanding that government spend millions on a flag when there are other priorities.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 28 January 2016 4:00:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12