The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Does Australia Need A New Flag?

Does Australia Need A New Flag?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. 21
  11. All
It is time to change the flag to represent the new Sino-Australian nation. The Anglo-Australian nation has come to an end so we should definitely remove the Union Jack from the flag's canton and replace it with something that signifies our Chineseness. As such I would suggest retaining the Southern Cross and States' star but using the red and yellow flag of our new brothers - the Peoples Republic of China - as the canton.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 26 January 2016 7:57:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mr Opinion,

The Union Jack is not on the Australian flag.

Foxy,

Yes, keep the same flag but just remove the so-called Cross of St. Patrick.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 26 January 2016 9:59:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Foxy. I do think we should change the Australian flag.
I think there is too much blue on the current boring flag, so I would like to see warm Australian colours of red and gold added to the current flag.

We need to keep the southern cross stars, but not a Commonwealth star, as some have suggested.
We need to move on from Britain and add Aboriginal symbols like a kangaroo or boomerang.

Maybe I will design one myself :)
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 27 January 2016 12:07:35 AM
Foxy,

Seen them before. Just saying that's the best one if we do decide to change flag.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Suseonline,

A kangaroo that includes a boomerang is better than one or the other.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Is Mise,

The Union Jack is the pattern of the British flag. We certainly do have it on the Australian flag at the moment.

WTF do vexillologists have against the Cross of St. Patrick?

Mr Opinion,

Though Australia has a long history of Chinese immigration, the actual numbers of immigrants are much lower than those from the UK. Even among recent arrivals they're only slightly lower than Poms, and way behind Indians. Chinese people may be more visible (as they tend to live near CBDs and universities) but it's likely most of the people you assume to be Chinese aren't.

And more importantly, we don't have constitutional links to the PRC (or the ROC or any other Chinese territory), nor even strong cultural links. Whereas from Britain we inherited a lot of laws and a language, and we source a significant proportion of our media from there too.
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 27 January 2016 1:41:25 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//Yes, keep the same flag but just remove the so-called Cross of St. Patrick.//

Feck off. The only change the union flag needs is the addition of the cross of St. David or the Welsh wyrm.

//The Union Jack is the pattern of the British flag. We certainly do have it on the Australian flag at the moment.//

No, we have a union flag: the term jack only correctly applies when it is being flown on a naval vessel.

As for a new Australian flag: I like the eureka stockade flag.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 27 January 2016 3:41:50 AM
I believe there are more pressing issues to deal with than the superficial nonsense of flag changing.

John Key in New Zealand has committed $26M(NZ) to discuss the 'New flag' non issue. Certainly a non issue with most Maori. Firstly there were thousands of entries from the sublime to the ridiculous, one a giant black kiwi with lazer beams shooting from its eyes (it didn't win). NZ had a vote and five contenders were picked from I think 20 nominated by an expert panel, what a flag expert does when he's not experting flag contenders is anyone guess.
Now the 5 contenders are going to go up against the existing flag (which for some Kiwi's looks too Australian) in another vote off.
Key is doing all this as a distraction from the other problems facing NZ.
I asked my partner if she was going to vote in the referendum? Her reply; What, waste my time voting for a piece of pakeha rag when our people suffer the way they do at the hands of such people.
The United Tribes of Aotearoa had their own flag in 1835, long before the European produced his. Another interesting story how that flag came about. Aotearoa shipped a boat load of trade goods to the NSW Colony (Sydney) to sell. The NSW Governor confiscated the entire cargo and the boat on the illegal flimsy grounds the ship did not fly a recognised flag. NSW still owes the Maori $40m (today's value with interest) for that boat and cargo.

o sung wu " I would like to see it replaced with the existing Aboriginal flag with it's striking colour mix." You are not as conservative as you pretend to be. You can't be conservative and have a conscience at the same time, one or the other will have to go, otherwise you are in danger of being labeled a "progressive", by you know who.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 27 January 2016 4:39:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. 21
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy