The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Unions A difference Exists

Unions A difference Exists

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
I am both forever and ever a trade unionist, and not too far from a centrist in politics,welded on to my ALP.
Do most understand not all unions are the same?not all act alike? that differences even in who votes what way exist?
The current debate about the Rudd IR changes has a few frothing at the mouth and saying it is a sell out.
But is it? it is my view ,a lifetime view, that unions should not take it for granted that our message sells its self.
That some people will never understand some union actions are not majority union ones.
I find no challenge in the Rudd Gillard system as it has so far been presented.
Unions will be free to represent workers again and it is a true chance for real reform.
A reform was needed , workchoices in no way was reform it is a dreadful insulting king hit to the Aussie fair go.
Do not put the actions of some loose cannon union officials down as standard unionists at work.
It is no measure of a union or officials worth to look for the biggest thug or mug.
I have seen union delegates from more conservative unions threatened with a bashing from lunatics better suited to be doormen at some lower value club than an official.
A to me that type is unwanted in the movement.
While different unions under Rudd will prove they can work in mainstream Australia and not harm IR in most cases, but a difference exists it is worth understanding it.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 5 June 2007 6:43:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly
the greatest act of honesty and sincerity that a 'good' union could ever do, is to stand shoulder to shoulder with other Aussies at the door of one of the BAD unions like the ETU or some of the CFMEU offices and BLOCKADE them... (until police come when they will disperse peacefully) and have signs which point out that BULLYing and THUGery and INDUSTRIAL TERRORISM have no place in Australia, and that the perpetrators of such are the absolute scum of the earth and in reality nothing better than criminals. (of course some might see some hyprocrisy in 'bullying' the bullies, but I disagree... it is making a stand for right,in the name of the people against pernicious evil.

Another sign would be "DON'T SUPPORT FOR ISLAMIC TERRORISM"

THAT is the day when I will support good unions :)

I'm also ready to stand with other unionists who don't want their names blackened or tarred with the same ugly brush at those doors. In fact..I'll be right out there in front.

So.. words are cheap mate :) actions speak louder.

Arrange 20 blokes and give me a call.. ETU is the target. Dean Mighell supports suspected terrorists (by describing their arrest as nothing more than anti Islamic 'racism')and BRAGS about how he bullied Employers etc etc

Kevin Reynolds.. he seems of the same ilk as Mighell.

Life can be such an adventure when we actually DO things.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 6 June 2007 6:22:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
woops.. lousy grammer there.. no 'FOR' in that "DON'T SUPPORT....
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 6 June 2007 6:24:08 AM
David Boaz
Well said. What people like Belly dont understand is I dont want to be a member. I am able to pick and have and have choice of where I work and the conditions I work under.
I dont want want myself or kids[if I had them] being forced to pay fees to a service I dont want.
Let people join if they wish- sure.
However I saw the stress the uni kids went through being forced to pay.
Wrong Wrong Wrong.
Belly had a belly ache because she thought a country saw mill owner ought to pay a full days wages for his staff to go to an Anzac day March.
Well thats her story anyway.
An all day Anzac March David?
See this is the mentality of these people. When I suggested had they asked to attend the March without pay for a couple of hours then return to work she went loopy.
Just imagine the effect this lot would ha ve on small business owners if they get in and force people to be in a union.
No Ticket no Start.
Talk about a free country

Its hard enough to get good staff and once you have them you certainly treat them very well indeed.
I dont need to donate to keep little union bosses in jobs to bully small business owners.
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Wednesday, 6 June 2007 6:47:45 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly=SHE ?

Yes.. PALE you introduce new and important points to the discussion.

For me..its about justice. Justice must be intepreted in the light of 'viability'. You can't ask for 120% of your wage if it adds 20% to the price of your product which is ALready more expensive than your competitors.

Well..in truth you can ask.. demand... beg.. intimidate..whatever.. but the outcome might be the loss of your and every other employeess job as the factory or business closes down.
Mudgenberry Meat works
Mayfair Hams (Bendigo)...

That Mayfair hams thing is something else. I went for a walk through the HUGEEEE and vast complex, and being deserted, and dilapidated and falling apart, it looked like a set for Mad Max or Chernobyl-the movie.
It was erie.. scary.. LONELY... all the ghosts of the former now UN employed workers.. the fading images of the continuous card game the union wanted so workers could have extended (like half the damn day) lunch breaks etc... the unions destroyed that business AND the livelihoods of the workers.. How ? Simple..

STEP 1 Promise great things.. high pay, less work, more entitlements... (with zero regard for the business to afford them)
Then, you get 'elected' (based on greed and selfishness)

STEP 2 "Deliver" the goods by arranging strikes, blockades, pickets, threaten and harras non union labor entering the place..

STEP 3.. provide for the workers who lose their jobs as a result of the unstainable promises that got the union bloke elected... OH..WAIT.. no.. they don't/can't do that do/can they? at least not for more than a couple of weeks maybe...

Then.. UNION BOSS comes out with a grim expression (in his BMW) and speaks eloquently about "OOOOoh.. the workers MUST have their entitlements" (now that we have destroyed their jobs) as IF.... he cares about anything other than his own position.

Then.. the Union bloke drives back to his 'Luxury Apartment' on the new Docklands.

Of coure (Belly) I'm talking here about the BADDDD unions, like the ETU and the BADDDDD unionists like Dean Mighell and his big mouthed thug/crimo/racist/anti_Australian(in my view) mates.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 6 June 2007 10:58:31 AM
Something else you might like to consider is the role journalism unions are playing at the moment.

Freedom of Information laws have been used against journalists to stop them from telling us all sorts of things we'd like to know - like the real effect of bracket creep, the real impact of Workchoices, how decisions are made about where paedophiles live when they're released, which restaurants don't measure up to standards.

Exactly how telling us about this stuff is against the national interest is anyone's guess.

Unions are supporting the campaign against govt secrecy. Not everything they do is destructive.
Posted by chainsmoker, Wednesday, 6 June 2007 1:42:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy