The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should religion be taught in public schools?

Should religion be taught in public schools?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
Nathan how do you determine which groups should get a special opportunity to present their beliefs/values?

Would you also have a die hard meat eater in to spruke the benefits of eating meat?

If you are going to have a repesentative of Islam in will it be a Sunni, Shi'ite or maybe some far smaller branch? I get the impression that the Sunni's are the largest branch so then someone needs to decide who represents that group best, perhaps someone from the ISIS (you might have noticed them in the news a bit lately). They do seem to be pretty enthusiastic about their beliefs.

A fairly rough example but I hope it gets the point across, there ar value judgements involved when you start doing what you are proposing. All well and good when those you agree with make the decisions but not so good when its those you disagree with (and to that extent I agree with runner to a point).

The education system does need to make some changes to gets more kids engaged, I'd be starting with hard questions about parts of the curriculum before bringing in groups to promote their beliefs. Eg forcing modern teenagers to study poetry for a subject thats essential for tertiary education is a pet hate of mine.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 17 June 2014 1:00:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
iTS KEY/TO KNOW THAT KIDS NEED BE taUght/before the age of eighT
AFTER THAT/they wil only leaern what affirms with what they know.

so im all for rAISING KIDS WITH SANTA CLAUSE;CHARITY[not xmass gluttony]..so i see nothing wrong wiTH LETTING THEM LOOSE ON A FEW RABBIES OR priests..after that age/before then i would [refer we allowed them firmly to find a peace in the living loving good[with children knowing clearly/early..THAT ALL LIFE ALL LIGHT LOVE MERCY GRACE..COMES FROM GOD...[THAT GOD HAS SENT MANKINd many messengers..ITS HANDY IF THEY KNOW/The names.

sure there are good godless/atheists
but like most agnostics..many 'seem; to have emerged via the homes of believers/but simply rejected the good goDGION/MESSENEGERS/SAINTS OF/THEIR Pa*rentals.

FIRST..its ok to believe in the strer rabbit the satan clause and the good of god/thE FIRST TRINITY..IS GOD MUMMY DAddy ,ade you you/so we caN LOVE GOD THROUGH YOU..in time you will loose the lust for chocolate on christs re-birthday/on exodus eve..AND IN TIME YOU WILL LOOSE THe urge to give from CHARITY..EVEN ON THE DAY OF HIS BIRTH..BUT GOD WILL REmain with you allways.THROUGH EVERY REBIRTH.

IN TRUE HEAven/hell..there are nO RELIGIONS
JUST CHARITIES..INTRESTS/OCCUPATIONS WE ENJOY AND SHARE
we being by joining others.on goDS SABBATH DAY..TO FURTHER COMprehend our savious place and time.

its not complicated to give simply facts
ask questions without fear god WILL REJect us
its we alone who reJECT THE ALL LIVING ALL LOVING MERCYFULL GOOD

just let that be clearly understood.
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 17 June 2014 3:35:35 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think that rather than being taught perhaps it should be offered as an alternative to say history, because let's face it, history is now just a 'google' away. Perhaps it already is.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 17 June 2014 3:54:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The essence of Christianity is: God is revealed through character, actions and wisdom all of which entails pure motives intended to enhance the lives of people. God is not spatial but spiritual and of whose admirable character, pure actions and divine wisdom we were made to image. Religion should not be taught comparatively as a subject as it confuses young minds. The basis of Christianity is the study of the person i.e. Christ [Representing God on Earth]. So it is essential to recognize the character, actions and wisdom of Christ as lived by Jesus and unless the person accepts this they have not learned Christianity
Posted by Josephus, Tuesday, 17 June 2014 4:02:01 PM
@NathanJ, Tuesday, 17 June 2014 12:10:46 PM

We would be intellectually impoverished and denied the fullness (layers of meaning) of literature if we did not have a good appreciation of the beliefs and stories of various religions. There is a rich tapestry in all to be explored.

At the same time the coverage and depth of the necessary knowledge does offer alternative ways of perceiving the world and direction and choices for those who want to pursue them. Their choices and they should be personally accountable for those choices. Should a child have choice and when?

As well, I do believe that prayer and the belief in a supreme being can be of tremendous help, especially in times of personal strife and when those complex ethical decisions have to be made. There are reasonable, well-informed concerns though about certain religions and religious leaders/structures.

Reasonable tolerance must be our path, but tolerance does not extend to the proved noxious creeds that challenge our Australian Law or act to restrict or compromise individual's rights, particularly affecting children.

While not a church goer myself, through experience and especially voluntary work I would emphasise that I have met, know and would vouch for the many wonderful caring people who are parishioners of the mainstream churches.

We should not be too inclined to throw out the baby with the bathwater. We should be very loathe indeed to countenance more State interference in individual lives and choices. The secular 'Progressives' for instance might believe that they always know what is best for others, but their record does not bear that out and they are most reluctant to be held accountable themselves.

We seem to have the balance about right in Oz ATM and we should not allow such nasties as Sharia Law.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 17 June 2014 4:10:21 PM
When I was at high school, as part of our end of year school magazine I was the only year 12 student with a 'passionate' title with my name - all the others in my year level got funny titles next to theirs. What does this say about our community? There is a lack of philosophy, personal belief and value.

There should be at least some time set aside at school to talk about moral, religious and topical issues to get students minds 'thinking' outside the square.

People of all different valued backgrounds should be allowed to speak at public schools - including people affected by a range of issues worldwide - religious or not - and may have never studied as a teacher. This may include a person affected in a certain way because of their religious background for example.

Unfortunately too many people working within our education 'factory or supermarket' just want it kept the same - as it's easier to manage - but what about the future of the student, in terms of their 'whole' life?
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 17 June 2014 4:23:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11