The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should religion be taught in public schools?

Should religion be taught in public schools?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
I know Foxy you don't want to talk further on this topic - but I am 100% not in same category as Josephus.

In terms of religion and education - it is about for me weather there should be more education in public, wherever this is. Its not just left in a private school, an outback territory where an Aboriginal person may live or any place of religion where people gather.

This is where the misinformation gathers and people don't understand why certain people live the way they do. For example when I went vegetarian my mother threw a plate of meat in front of me and demanded I eat it - and I said no. My parents still don't 100% like the fact I'm vegetarian.

I had one woman speak to me and say the wearing of full middle eastern style of clothing that covers the whole body (from top to bottom) was an invasion of human rights. I said, if had the political numbers to force people to stop eating meat - would the majority of Australians say yes - no. There would be the biggest protests occur in Australian history. She understood my point - I was simply saying the clothing element is generally freedom of choice.

So for me its a question of breaking down the barriers of religion across the board - and Australia doesn't address that by avoiding it as a subject.
Posted by NathanJ, Friday, 20 June 2014 7:26:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Nathan,

Australia does not avoid the subject of religion.
I don't agree with you on that. On the contrary
all Australians are free to follow any religion
they choose, so long as its practices do not break
any Australian law. Australians are also free not to
follow a religion. As far as breaking down religious
barriers. That today is part and parcel of a student's
education. In the current educational environment
teachers are constantly expected to address issues in
the classroom which extend a student's own "world
view." They cover a range of topics such as -
the Australian character, migrants, Aborigines,
pressure groups, poverty, computers and technology,
unemployment,
energy, pollution, conservation, various religious beliefs,
human relationships, families, human rights, crime
and punishment, to mention just a few.

I think that your concern is commendable, but you need
not worry. We have experienced educators dealing with
the many necessary curriculum materials.
The students are in good hands.

Cheers.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 20 June 2014 8:40:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Since it seems to be the basis of most aspects of culture, religion should indeed be taught in schools, but it should be an overview of ALL religions rather than just one.

A history of religion should also be taught, discussing how it evolves and changes to suit the times and the brutality and cruelty it has spawned over the centuries and not the Hollywood, spaced-out Sunday School mythology most accept as historical fact.
Posted by wobbles, Friday, 20 June 2014 11:57:33 PM
I believe a good grounding in ethics is a laudable outcome from schools. However, as an atheist, while I believe that chaplains are generally well meaning and ethical people, their faith gives their teachings a subtext that is incompatible with what many people believe, and as such has no place in public schools that are meant to cater for all creeds and cultures.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 21 June 2014 9:08:36 AM
Good post SM. wobs if you support teaching of ALL religions in schools will you also support the teaching of BLACK MAGIC in schools. If not why not! it's a fair question, if your going to teach about Buddha etc.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 21 June 2014 3:33:33 PM
Paul,

READ what I wrote. I did not at any time advocate the teaching of all religions or any religion. The easiest way to cater for all cultures and religions is to provide a secular education.

I do not have any objection to a public school providing on demand access to a chaplain outside of school hours.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 21 June 2014 4:36:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All