The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should religion be taught in public schools?

Should religion be taught in public schools?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All
I'm of the view that at the scale involved for school based curiculum its to difficult to avoid at least some adherants given access to the classroom trying to use that access to evangelise. There was a large discussion on OLO some time back at a point when Scripture Union in QLD were claiming publicly that they did not evangelise but their web site was full of terms in relation to their school program that gave a very different message. The website changed some key content during the course of that debate (which was also to some extent being played out elsewhere).

I don't believe that our school get adherants in to teach key points of history in relation to their groups role in events that might be taught. No doubt teachers bring their own biases to the classroom on all sorts of topics, I don't know how that can be avoided but at least they have some training on what their role should be and maybe an knterest in keeping their jobs which might temper missiinary zeal a bit.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 16 June 2014 7:08:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Religious studies in a nation that overwhelmingly followed one religion were not an issue. Religious studies in a multi religious school system, as we have today, is an issue if racial issues evolve...it could be derived as exhibiting division.

I asked some of the teachers I live with and they said that Christian Scripture of a non denominational nature was in place in secondary schools in NSW, with every school having a chaplain. There is also a dedicated prayer room on Friday’s only for Muslims......they tell me that neither are well attended.

Do the kids care?
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 16 June 2014 7:24:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
NO, no, no ! Keep that idiotic nonsense away from our kids. If as young adults they're silly enough then let them join some outfit but prohibit indoctrination at a young age.
Any religious nut hanging around schools should get the same treatment as a paedophile.
In many past cases they were one & the same anyway.
Posted by individual, Monday, 16 June 2014 7:30:23 PM
yep be dumb enough to keep teaching children that they evolved from apes and that moral relativity is quite acceptable. Then introduce useless programs to try and reduce std's , teen suicide, mental breakdowns, total disrespect for authority, out of control acholol and drug taking. Yep teach the kids the idiotic unscientific notion that we come from nothing and then ask dumb questions as to why. Yep teach them a little about all religion but don't dare mention that one day all will be accountable to God. Then all those pushing such dumb ideas might need to look at their own lives. And we could not have that could we. Just keep wasting millions on useless studies and remedies.
Posted by runner, Monday, 16 June 2014 9:38:01 PM
Foxy, I don't see your point.

I think our public schools need to have more vibrant philosophical attitudes, towards students in some ways to get a message out - that there are people of different lifestyles out there.

By having a range of people from religious/spiritual groups - these people can 'show' and 'educate' students at the same time.

If a student could see the activity of a Hindu, or Aboriginal, Jehovah's Witness, Christian or Jewish and what they believe - I don't think this is bad thing - say at a school - having a peaceful religious day? Students could understand there are some people that may live differently than they do.

There is more to a public school than just reading a book.
Posted by NathanJ, Monday, 16 June 2014 9:48:04 PM
Properly taught, English literature covers all that needs to be known about religions and more.

It is the prevailing political correctness that should be challenged and removed from State schools. That and the busywork caused by heavy 'management'/administrative overheads in the education departments.

More male teachers would help but not if the sieve only allows simpering metrosexuals and 'male feminists'.

Religion is the last concern. There is much more to do to improve education for students.

Sorry Nathan but it would be frivolous to spend another minute on that old done-to-death topic. What about a thread on improving literature for boys, and how to give students some head space away from political correctness, endless indigenous stuff (someone has to say it) and the gender wars?

What I appreciate about your threads is that you don't usually get bent out of shape when some disagree. Young men should be heard more.
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 16 June 2014 10:08:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy