The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What does Australia Do when the oil runs low

What does Australia Do when the oil runs low

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
So Robert, what's wrong with us using our own oil?
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 4 March 2014 2:07:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there HASBEEN & IS MISE...

Why ever would we condemn a hapless horse to a life of everlasting servitude, by requiring the poor creature to live in a city like Sydney ? With some of the lousy crooks and garbage I've had to deal with, sitting majestically on the poor buggers back !

We may well possess significant oil and gas reserves contained in shale, ready for 'fracking', but Shell's just sold, and closed down their remaining Refinery at Kurnell. Therefore Australia's last remaining oil Refinery has ceased production. As a consequence we (Oz) now have to rely on all our petroleum needs to come from abroad.

Now that's a real nice state of affairs, both strategically and tactically, in military speak ! Thus, if we have a 'blue' with Indonesia, we may well have to meekly ask if we can purchase a litre or two of petrol from them ? Compliantly and submissively explaining to the Indonesian Generals of our fuel situation, before we can ever prosecute any sort of war with them ?

Nothing would surprise me, nothing !
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 4 March 2014 2:50:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Too true o sung. I have advocated on a number of occasions that we should make it a condition for companies selling liquid fuel in Oz, that at least 50% of what they sell must be refined in Oz.

This is one area where we can provide jobs, without it costing anyone anything, other than the companies selling the stuff.

Once we have no refining capacity, just watch the price of the refined product sky rocket.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 4 March 2014 3:09:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*So Robert, what's wrong with us using our own oil?*

It's nearly all gone
Posted by Robert LePage, Tuesday, 4 March 2014 3:41:42 PM
This is the second time recently that I have heard that Australia
imports 90% of our fuel. However our consumption is about 1Mbd and our
production is 450Kbd which is 45%.

o sung wu, Shell has sold the Geelong refinery and closed the
Sylvawater refinery in Sydney. The Caltex Kurnell refinery is still
operating but is due to be closed this year.

I hear reports of undeveloped fields in the Barrier Reef area and Jayb
mentions Longreach. Think about it, the oil companies have increased
their search and development capital expenditure by 50% to 80% but
their reserves have fallen.
That is a large expenditure for such a poor result.
They have reached the stage of selling assets so as to be able to pay dividends.

Why then when they have underused refineries here would they close
them if there were viable undeveloped oil fields here ?
It just does not make sense. I would suggest that the fields are too
expensive or too small to bother with them.
I am certain there are companies already active in the area like Linc Energy that would jump at them.

Many times I have read reports of oil fields that would be "massive"
or will be a bonanza etc etc but when you look at the figures and
divide them by 85,000,000 you find that they would supply the world
for about a month or perhaps even a week !
No you can bet with the world oil supply in the state it is in if
their was a sniff there you would be knocked down in the rush.

As for shale oil, properly known as tight oil, well that Ponzi scheme
is reaching its end after 5 or 6 years.
The Australian tight oil field around Coober Peady is being surveyed
by Linc Energy now, but the catch is where will the get the fracking water ?

No it is easy to jump at the sniff of oil, but reality is different.

Welcome to the Post Peak Oil World
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 4 March 2014 6:39:05 PM
I was told once a long time ago that the Bass Straight Oil field is Heavy oil & unsuitable to make petrol. I don't know what type of oil is produced off WA.

The Longreach/Richmond field were found by the Yanks in 1944/45 & capped as reserves. I joined the Army in 65 with a bloke from a Cattle Station out that way. He said there were large concrete slabs everywhere on his fathers property marked with the type, depth of the oil, etc. He said they were on all the surrounding properties as well. I've never seen them myself. My long dead aunt came from Roma. When they discovered Oil & Gas there in the 60's she said that she had known about the Gas & oil since she was a child. She could understand what all the big surprise was about.

So I'd say they know exactly where the oil & gas is, it's just being kept a big secret. The 20, 50 100 year plan in advance that we're not supposed to know about. Things like the planed International Airport at Anthill Plains in Townsville. That's why when you buy a block of land out that way you sign a document to say you won't complain about the Aircraft noise. Everybody thinks it's the little training one on Golliwog Farm they are talking about.
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 4 March 2014 7:22:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy