The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The real issue, is SPC worth saving, if so, why?

The real issue, is SPC worth saving, if so, why?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
So with all the name calling and fights about who is telling the truth and who's telling lies, why don't we cut to the chase and discuss the real underlying issue here, is SPC worth saving, with tax payers dollars (remembering they are now scarce) and if so, why?

When responding I would ask you to keep these points in mind.

1. Apparently wages and associated employment costs are not part of the problem.

2. The Australian dollar is at record four year lows

3. It is unlikely that cheap imports will cease in the future.

4. The carbon tax is about to hit transport adding additional costs.

So, I ask again, is it worth saving, if so, why?
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 8:41:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rechtub thanks mate, I could kiss you! at ease very unlikely that will ever happen!
Yes wages are not the problem.
So wade in with what I see as the positives in keeping it open.
It is the last fruit cannery in this country so we are told, what happened to Golden Circle?
Its workers are far from the only folk who need it to remain open.
Farmers growing the fruit even beans caned there go broke or out of the game if it gos.
We supplement chocolate a host of things but the day this country puts imported farm products over our hard up farmers we will be lessor
In a single blow in this Liberal home land community Abbott looked his people in the face and said we do not care about the fate of your COMMUNITY!.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 2:45:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think in all fairness Belly, Tony Abbott has more in his mind than just that community.

What about the rest of the country? Is there value for money in saving this community, at the expense to many other projects, remembering that we now have no money and any such support will be with borrowed funds.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 4:08:55 PM
Exactly, rehctub. It's funny seeing the big spenders (of other people's money) that almost sent us to the wall on failed, hair brained schemes are now bitching because there's no maor moneys left in the coffers to save their mates?

Shut it down and teach them a lesson in saving for a rainy day.
Posted by RawMustard, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 4:24:18 PM
Belly
Sadly it is all about politics.
If the factory was in the seat of any of the cabinet members I imagine the money would have been found.
It is the way of politics and politicians and is not confined to any one party.
They treat us, the voters, as fools. Maybe we are.
Nice day here. Might go fishing this evening.
Take it easy.
SD
Posted by Shaggy Dog, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 4:26:46 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-05/sharman-stone-reveals-discussion-with-pm-on-spc-ardmona/5239450
Maybe this is the real issue.
Politics aside this country, under both forms of government has always supported our primery industry.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 5:26:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy