The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The real issue, is SPC worth saving, if so, why?

The real issue, is SPC worth saving, if so, why?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
One more point, I read what Joe Hockey said about government financial
support of companies today.
He said that when government gives money they have to borrow it.

It struck me, that being so why don't the companies, eg SPC, go to the
banks themselves ?
If they say the banks won't lend the money, does that mean then that
the business is a bad risk ?
If so, no point in the government throwing money at it !
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 6 February 2014 9:10:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a progressive and a believer in sustainability, I cannot support the idea of government throwing billions at what are seen as ailing business. This is done without any firm commitments or guarantees from the business, often extracting nothing more than a vague promise to continue operations in the short term, and thus providing a few jobs. Invariably despite this injection of government capital there is no structural change within the business and the crises is merely forestalled for the short term. Future decisions about these relatively unimportant operations in Australia by multinationals will be made in the boardrooms of New York or Tokyo, and not in Canberra, Australia will have no say. For the politician the throwing of money in this way is "good" as it can, and does, in the short term shore up voter support in the local electorate, "I have saved your job" and does go down well with the locals. I am the first to say people have to be looked after and protected and in no way should they be thrown on the scrap heap, which constantly happens long term to many effected by this very problem.
What is the alternative for a better long term sustainable outcome. We need to work smarter, not harder! We need to exploit our advantages and take risks. If private enterprise is unable or unwilling, as often seems to be the case, governments need to take the initiative and develop long term strategies to combat these systemic problems facing Australian industry.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 7 February 2014 6:31:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How does "sustainability" factor into private enterprise save via interventionist state policies?
In a free market competent businesspeople succeed, incompetent businesspeople fail.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Saturday, 8 February 2014 10:18:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy