The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Get Rid of the Lord's Pray?

Get Rid of the Lord's Pray?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. 19
  13. All
Peter Clack,
Our politicians do need a daily reminder they are not the absolute power and have responsibility to higher ideals and values than they might be inclined to live. Perhaps they need an exegesis of what it means rather than a incomprehensible chant.
Posted by Josephus, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 10:22:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't think the Lord's Prayer would be deemed offensive by many, but I don't think its appropriate either given that we are amongst the least religious of all western societies. Only approx 7.5% attend Christian churches! which means the Lord's Prayer is not relevant to much of the population. Around 60% of the population view themselves as Christian but for many that relates to their heritage rather than them practising anything. A 2008 survey ranked Australia's youth as the least religious in the world.
So I don't think most of Australia care, and I don't think its relevant.
But I doubt many would find it offensive, but there is meant to b a separation of church and state so it makes sense to remove it.

I do think opening parliament with a welcome to country speech by an indigenous elder is correct. Because that is about recognising our history and trying to make up for injustices of the past.
Posted by Northernoutlook, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 10:32:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I actually go along with Josephus. Let's get rid of the Lords Prayer. & replace it with something modern that would be a ritual opening Oath. Such as;

All the people of Australia.
We, your elected representatives, respect the Character of the Australian people.
The Culture of the Australian people is worthy of our respect & retaining.
What you ask of us will be done to the highest value in a bipartisan spirit.
We will look after the needs of Australia & the Australian people before all others.
We will manage the Australian environment and resources well, so our Countries needs are met.
As your elected representatives we will not violate another's character and help us be forgiving if others violate ours.
We will not be led into the temptation of being dishonest, lying or deceiving the people of Australia in any way.
For your government reflects true nature of the Australian Character.
This, I swear.

I think that would be too much for any Politician to accept don't you?
Posted by Jayb, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 10:36:16 AM
Josephus, come on you are believer in god, what's this about "have responsibility to higher ideals and values" reducing god to abstract ideals and values, why not just come out with a responsibility to god.
We Greens never hold a meeting without expressing our respects for the traditional owners, past and present, of the land on which we are meeting. I think parliament should do the same and members could voluntarily take turns of reciting the affirmation.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 11:06:09 AM
Jayb,

Great post, but revolutionary thoughts such as you propose will have you on ASIO's watch list.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 11:21:10 AM
Too late & I saw my File in 71. Don't ask, they'd have to kill you. ;-).
Posted by Jayb, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 11:32:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. 19