The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Avoiding catastrophe will we do it?

Avoiding catastrophe will we do it?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
We know that eventually the earth will be stuffed and all life on earth will be extinguished. This is absolutely certain, because in a billion years or so the sun will expand to a red giant and the earth will be fried. It is also certain that long before we get to that time the earth will suffer many global catastrophes, such as a nearby star going supernovae, a giant asteroid hitting the earth or just a series of super volcanoes. The only question I wonder about is will humans stuff it up first.

The possibilities as I see them are:-
1 We start a nuclear war. It is hard to see how this can be avoided over the course of centuries.
2 We so pollute the Earth that the basic life support mechanisms collapse.
3 Climate change becomes so extreme that civilisation collapses.
4 Humans are wiped out by a manmade super bug.

Therefore I believe that the only hope for humans and ultimately all life on earth is move out into the solar system. First we need to build outposts on the Moon, Mars and eventually build a giant self contained space ship capable of supporting millions of people and a vast array of necessary life forms.

Science has given us the knowledge to do this but are we willing to accept the challenge?
Posted by warmair, Tuesday, 31 December 2013 1:09:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While some will find the thread weird, others a lefty plot, it has a truth we can not ignore at its core.
Other great civilizations have lived and died on this planet.
To not understand we too may not survive is to be blind to truth.
A world we would not recognize will exist in my view not century,s away but maybe by the end of the next.
Man is not playing or living well together.
But if survival and true progress is to come,we those left after a war yet to come must improve on that.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 1 January 2014 6:02:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If the bugs don't get us an asteroid will --what a wonderfully positive uplifting post for the new year ;)

Actually we don't "know" any of those things will happen, they are not certainties only possibilities --along with a thousand others we haven't yet imagined. But none of them are insurmountable [and if you harbour doubts about us being able to tackle a supernova have a look at what Freeman Dyson thought-up:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere --Ok, he wasn't aiming to control a supernova -- but it's in the same ballpark, like Leonardo's sketches of helicopters]

Our biggest stumbling block may lay nearer to home.That the Green/left alliance will sell us out.That the most science savvy parts of humanity will be mortgaged and eventually bankrupted by the left/Green agendas that ostensibly seek to address problems but only succeed in hamstringing those with the wherewithal to advance science.

But, I agree with warmair in one respect, we need to move beyond Earth into the greater solar system, ASAP. This should be one of out major priorities; start moves towards settlement of Mars (FFS! thousands have already volunteered to go)
Posted by SPQR, Wednesday, 1 January 2014 6:30:57 AM
"the earth will be fried"
"star going supernovae"
"a giant asteroid hitting the earth"
"super volcanoes"
"nuclear war"
"basic life support mechanisms collapse"
"civilisation collapses"
"manmade super bug"
Warmair, you forgot to mention the greatest possible catastrophe of them all that could beset mankind.
TONY ABBOTT GETS RE-ELECTED FOR A SECOND TERM. and channel re runs the complete series of 'Big Brother' from the day the morons go into the house, until the final eviction of "Toad" from the asylum.
After much consultation with the Astrofools, and a long chat and a beer with me neighbor Merv over the back fence I can confidently predict all of the above will take place, 27th Feb 2014, about tea time, give or take a billion years.
SPQR is the left/Green movement a counter radical mob, intent on destabilizing the true revolutionaries of the Green/left movement? I note you refer to both in your above post.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 1 January 2014 8:06:55 AM
And Paul has unwittingly (his default mode) given us an insight into his viewing habits:
<<Big Brother>>
<<Big Brother>>
<<Big Brother>>

But in his defence, the TV is always on Big Brother at Green party HQ,
Adam and Christine get very upset is someone changes the channel.
Posted by SPQR, Wednesday, 1 January 2014 8:22:16 AM
Dear Warmair,

Why does it concern you?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 1 January 2014 8:30:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy