The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Merry Christmyth from the Atheist Foundation of Australia

Merry Christmyth from the Atheist Foundation of Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 34
  7. 35
  8. 36
  9. Page 37
  10. 38
  11. 39
  12. 40
  13. ...
  14. 72
  15. 73
  16. 74
  17. All
Ozspen,

Think I deleted my answer to you just now. So will try again.

This is my first computer, and my brother set everything up for me.

Thank you - I asked a simple question about whether my e-mails could be made public, and you have answered my original query for me.

No, being new to this, I assumed that anything written or sent by e-mail was secure. So far this is the first time I've heard about 'harvesting'.

Was so pleased with my new toy I sent an e-mail to my brother, along with some family chit-chat. He rang me straight away to tell me that my e-mail to just him had gone out to all the contacts he'd put on the computer for me. Think I must have pressed a cc which he says is the same as sending out carbon copies of a letter. Apparently I had also broadcast his e-mail address too. Then I got a load of mail from the recipients saying maybe I'd been hacked. Brother assured me this was not so, but told me to stay away from cc in future.

I've asked him how to retrieve a deleted item, but he says I can't do it because I deleted the contents of my trash bin twice, which makes it a permanent deletion. First one sends it to the recycle bin, then from there you permanently delete it. I do this every time I receive unwanted mail.

Obviously, in this particular instance I now wish I hadn't done this, as I have no proof to offer David, or those members who think it is a fabrication on my part. Though why anyone should think there was any ulterior motive in my question is still beyond me, especially as I concur with some of his views.
C'est la vie!
Posted by worldwatcher, Wednesday, 26 December 2012 4:03:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
World watcher it is easy for me to believe you made a mistake.
I have made every one of them, some twice.
Of an age that will never have the understanding or control an 11 year old already has.
You made a mistake,and if reporting right, your brother did too.
In telling you cc sends out to every one.
It must have been sent to ALL that is ALL in your address book.
Harvesting is a fact but avoidable, just get the right email server and spam is not going to get to you.
I want however to say this, it hurts me to come back here.
Several posters irk me, I truly am trying to regain a foothold here.
By not having contact with them.
Here is a truth, my actions have been in defense of this site and its owner.
Ever now and again, both have been targeted wrongly.
Yet this is and will remain, long after you and I are gone, the best in this country.
It worldwatcher needed no PC skills, just one humanity, most of us has, the ability to say sorry I got it wrong.
I will while here avoid hurting your one sided fragile feelings by avoiding YOU.
See from the start you have had no trouble finding fault with me.
But have been blind to your charge being wrong.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 26 December 2012 5:51:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Atheist Foundation of Australia Inc,
So yo deny that attitude, character, motive, behaviour have any reality. These values are the reality of the person, not the flash and bones that are merely borrowed from other consumed life forms and substances to give us physical presence.
Posted by Josephus, Wednesday, 26 December 2012 6:16:04 AM
Belly,

<<QZSPEN gday and welcome.
Rest easy, world watcher at best has made a mistake no such action is likely to have taken place.>>

worldwatcher has told us that it DID happen and he/she has deleted it from Inbox and Trash (I use Thunderbird). Let's accept that as the truth from someone who is not experienced with email communication.

<<Harvesting is a fact but avoidable, just get the right email server and spam is not going to get to you.>>

I have a top flight email server with a national reputation, but I still get the occasional spam, some in the form of sending an email virus link. I got caught once - only once - but I'm with a very secure provider and with sound virus protection on my PC.

<<It worldwatcher needed no PC skills, just one humanity, most of us has, the ability to say sorry I got it wrong.>>

This is an assumption you are making that worldwatcher "got it wrong". That may not be the case at all. He/she could have received an email from an atheistic source. Some of the spam, virus links I receive are fabricated to come from my son or daughter to me. Harvesters and spammers pick up on who sends email to me and target my email accordingly.
Posted by OzSpen, Wednesday, 26 December 2012 6:34:15 AM
worldwatcher,

I am blessed that you, in spite of your novice abilities with the computer, including email, are prepared to come here and interact with us.

I hope that the criticism you have received from some will not deter you from coming here to provide your input.

<<I've asked him how to retrieve a deleted item, but he says I can't do it because I deleted the contents of my trash bin twice, which makes it a permanent deletion. First one sends it to the recycle bin, then from there you permanently delete it. I do this every time I receive unwanted mail.>>

My son is an IT professional. I'll ask him if there is any way you can retrieve an item that has been deleted from the Inbox and Trash. I have never had to do that over many years of working with email, but he should be able to provide me with the answer.
Posted by OzSpen, Wednesday, 26 December 2012 6:41:22 AM
washed,

You wrote: <<No myth is filled with such life, he said. The entire premise of your argument is refuted by people who never believed that Jesus is God. Your assertion that Jesus is a myth and the NT is unreliable is exposed as completely unreasonable by people with no dog in this fight.>>

In support of your claim, why don't you take a read of this new article that appeared on 24 December 2012 and was published on Australia's ABC radio network's, 'Religion and Ethics', programme by John Dickson, 'A fight they can't win: The irreligious assault on the historicity of Jesus', at: http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2012/12/24/3660194.htm. John Dickson is a Sydney evangelical Anglican, Founding Director of the Centre for Public Christianity and an Honorary Fellow of the Department of Ancient History, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia.

His challenge is: 'if anyone can find a full professor of Classics, Ancient History or New Testament in any accredited university in the world who thinks Jesus never lived, I will eat a page of my Bible, probably Matthew chapter 1. It's been a year since I first tweeted the challenge and religious critic John Safran retweeted it to his 60,000 followers. My Bible remains safe'.
Posted by OzSpen, Wednesday, 26 December 2012 7:12:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 34
  7. 35
  8. 36
  9. Page 37
  10. 38
  11. 39
  12. 40