The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Merry Christmyth from the Atheist Foundation of Australia

Merry Christmyth from the Atheist Foundation of Australia

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 72
  8. 73
  9. 74
  10. All
(Extract)
The Atheist Foundation of Australia wishes the non-religious and religious alike a very merry Christmyth season. Many people are unaware that the tradition is drawn from celebrations surrounding the pagan Saturnalia and was usurped by Christianity around the 4th Century CE.
(Full article here: http://atheistfoundation.org.au/media-release/merry-christmyth/)

David
Posted by Atheist Foundation of Australia Inc, Monday, 17 December 2012 11:01:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi David,

I thought I'd jump in and wish you a very Happy
Festive Season and all the Best for the New Year.
I think it was CJ Morgan who first introduced
the concept of Saturnalia on OLO. CJ passed away
some time ago - and your mentioning myths - brought
back quite a few memories. As CJ would say,
"A Merry Mistress, And A Happy All Year!"
Cheers.
Posted by Lexi, Monday, 17 December 2012 1:38:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Merry festive season David. Just a seasonal comment re Xmas and religions.

The term atheist is a logical nonsense, as is the term theist. How can you be a committed believer or non believer with absolutely no proof one way or the other?

Agnostic is the descriptive the thinking man goes with I believe.
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 17 December 2012 2:45:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It isn't just proof that is lacking, sonofgloin.

>>The term atheist is a logical nonsense, as is the term theist. How can you be a committed believer or non believer with absolutely no proof one way or the other?<<

Evidence for the existence of a supreme being is in particularly short supply also, would you not agree?

In the absence of the slightest skerrick of evidence - even circumstantial evidence, the weakest form of all - the logical course is to accept that gods do not exist.

>>Agnostic is the descriptive the thinking man goes with I believe.<<

Nah.

Agnosticism is merely a lack of courage to believe anything at all. Far from being the choice of the "thinking man", it is a position that requires absolutely no thought whatsoever.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 17 December 2012 4:47:19 PM
Lexi,

Thanks and I return the good wishes. Yes, it is important to acknowledge and celebrate existence the whole year round.

David

sonofgloin,

A Merry Christmyth to you also. But I do wonder what “thinking man” you were referring to. Could it be the ‘thinking man’ that doesn't understand the difference between philosophy and practicality or is it the ‘thinking man’ who is unable to make a choice with the idea of gods but has no trouble with fairies and past and present gods of other cultures and the myriad of other mythological beings and entities. Or is the ‘thinking man’ who assumes that there is some kind of equal situation with the existence or not of gods.

Maybe you can elaborate.

David
Posted by Atheist Foundation of Australia Inc, Monday, 17 December 2012 4:48:51 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes thanks to all and a merry xmas.
CJ Morgan had it right.
Long before it became Christmas it was a partying time.
Lets enjoy, non of us can know if it is our last.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 17 December 2012 4:56:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 72
  8. 73
  9. 74
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy