The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Christians do not have the right to wear cross?

Christians do not have the right to wear cross?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9136191/Christians-have-no-right-to-wear-cross-at-work-says-Government.html
The link is from the English Telegraph Sunday 4.50 pm our time.
It tells Britain is fighting AGAINST the rights of two women to wear the Christian cross at work.
Why.
I a nonbeliever can not believe this, we see other faiths openly wearing what they wish.
We see Christmas decorations changed to make it a neutral appearance.
I do not wish to introduce anti any one or faith diatribes.
As a nonbeliever think no harm is done to me by such open show of faith, why would any one think so.
One point, if health and safety is involved even wedding rings should be removed or safely covered.
Why would a Government in the western world take this stand?
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 11 March 2012 4:20:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
name names belly
these things are raised..to collect numbers
and many other things..[like redirect news]

its not new
thus isnt news

of course the issue is bullshhhhh
but still those taking the air in the debait
appriciate..the extra publicity

its a numbers thing for them
see haters...numericly..are less than 13%..of the readership

so for every 100 who read this
13 will think that is just fine

one in 100 will take it further
[too far]..see you give publicity
re hassling re the cross..

unheard is the other bad fruits from bad law
Posted by one under god, Sunday, 11 March 2012 6:00:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was shocked too, Belly, so I checked the article:

With much relief I found that it is not a case of government forbidding people to wear a cross, nor does it involve the public service, but only that government refuses to intervene when private employers forbid their employees to wear one.

Shame on those employers, also they are fools because they will lose their best and most dedicated and honest workers, but it is their right: so long as working conditions are mutually and freely agreed in advance, they may just as well require their employees to come to work topless.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 11 March 2012 6:11:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While the Cross has been widely used over the past few thousand years as a symbol of Christianity, the cross has a history stretching further back than the death of Jesus on a cross.

There is much archeological evidence of people using the Cross as a symbol in ancient times, for example -its four arms are interpreted as the four elements, the four directions of the compass, or the four parts of man , in various cultures and traditions.

Thus, in actual fact, Christians cannot call the symbol of the cross their very own.

Therefore, I fail to see why the British Government should ban people from wearing it at work for 'religious' reasons etc, unless it is a safety issue.

The Cross is an ancient pagan symbol that is probably a part of all of our history, in one way or another.
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 11 March 2012 6:19:12 PM
Suseonline,

Yes, all of that is true...but in our contemporary world if you meet someone wearing a crucifix, you don't think to yourself 'now here's a person wearing an ancient pagan symbol' - of course you connect the symbol with with its contemporary symbolism of Christianity and,therefore, presume that the person taking the trouble to adorn themselves with it is of Christian faith.
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 11 March 2012 6:27:39 PM
Dear Suseonline,

"Therefore, I fail to see why the British Government should ban people from wearing it at work for 'religious' reasons etc, unless it is a safety issue."

The British, or any other government, should not ban people from wearing any symbol whatsoever, so the history of the cross is simply irrelevant.

(I should add here that a government has no right to ban people from wearing whatever they want EVEN if it is a safety issue, but that would be the subject of another discussion)

However, if you read the original article that Belly presented, the British government DOES NOT ban people from wearing a cross, thus it is a storm in a tea-cup.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 11 March 2012 6:45:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy