The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Who can change the Law ?

Who can change the Law ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
individual,

You really don't get it, do you.

My point is that we as a society are so busy indulging in consumer culture that we have no "time" for our young people. They are simply fed into the system and allowed to trundle along on the conveyor belt. Any society who neglects their youth will soon reap what they sow.

When there is nothing left for a father to pass on to his son or a mother to her daughter. When organic family and community relations are ditched for a time-poor,stunted, and generic upbringing then we are left with the limited option of trying to redress the problem after it has occurred.
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 19 November 2011 12:18:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poirot,
I do get your point, a point which has been flogged to the point of pointlessness. Your point is that our society is rotten. Mate, we know that ! I want to get people interested in making a move to change things. I'm working on getting those who can change the Law to change it. Not constantly bleating the obvious. Get three individuals to provide their names & address & phone nr & send a proper constitutional petition to the Governor General. I can't get two more people who aren't so scared as to not being concerned enough to provide their details.
Let's get onto Parliament & bring down the age for juvenile offenders. Change the Law in favour of the victim instead of the perpetrator no matter how young. The damage & cost to the victim does not somehow lessen simply because the offender is young. thirty Grand do not magically become only thirty Dollars because the mongrel who broke in & stole my computers was only 15. His parents are of fairly high standing in the community so why can't they compensate me for their little treasure's activities. I know they'd have a problem with that kind of money & I understand that. What I don't understand is that when his mother tried to get help because she could see he was going off the rails she got no help either from the do-gooders. I feel sorry for her.
The kid was sent to an institution only to return even more qualified in matters stealing. He is now so confident that he is openly taunting the local Sergeant with impunity. That impunity needs seriously looking into & needs to be removed.
Give the victim the benefit of doubt instead of the mongrel. Civil libertarians wake up !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 19 November 2011 6:45:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Individual,
Well, I for one would oppose what you are suggesting and would work just as vigorously to prevent you from suceeding.
I flatly disagree with your assessments.
Further I would recommend you to study the ABS data on crime trends, where you will see that crime, especially violent crime, is in fact falling in all capital cities in this country.
I believe that your efforts are misguided and are based on an emotional response to sensationalised - and largely fictitious - media beat ups.
Frantically punishing might make you feel good and righteous, however, there is a mass of data that shows that reductions in crime are a consequence of enlightened social policy.
The fact is you cannot frighten people into behaving the way you want them to. (Leadership 101, or, just ask the Soviets).
On the other hand, let me share with you just one piece of data, well studied and consistent.
When tough abortion laws are introduced to a society, street crime increases dramatically between one and two decades later. This has been shown in many places but the most detailed studies have been carried out in states in the US where abortion laws have been changed making abortion illegal.
The increase in sreet crime is due to the increase in unwanted children growing to be teenagers who have felt unwanted and valueless since birth.
Your solution would be to punish the kids, when enlightened Women's Rights laws would have prevented the problem in the first place.
My point with this example is that cause and effect are not as simple as you are implying.
Before taking action it's useful to understand what's really going on. Knee jerking rarely achieves more than painful knees.
Cheers,
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Saturday, 19 November 2011 9:51:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi AnthonyV,

I'm having difficulty following some of your reasoning, can you help me out?

1) First, you tell us:
<<CRIME, especially violent crime, IS IN FACT FALLING in all capital cities in this country>>

Yet, a little further along tell us:

<<The INCREASE in sreet crime...>>

So what is it, is crime increasing or decreasing?

2) Shortly before admonishing Individual for thinking he had a "simple" solution you propose the following:

<<The increase in sreet crime is due to the increase in unwanted children growing to be teenagers who have felt unwanted and valueless since birth. Your solution would be to punish the kids, when enlightened Women's Rights laws would have prevented the problem in the first place >>

To my knowledge --and I will allow that I could be wrong --no society has been able to "prevent" crime, street crime or otherwise. But if you are so cocksure you have a solution I'm sure it would be enlightening to hear your expand on how <<enlightened Women's Rights laws would have prevented the problem>> please provide full details!

Cheers!
(PS I know you like your two morning teas, but please go steady on the wines made from Middle-earth Dorwinion grapes, I'm told it's very potent...or, was it the mushrooms from Bamfurlong!)
Posted by SPQR, Sunday, 20 November 2011 7:18:52 AM
individual..there is nothing unique in your attacking back at the system that saw a criminal steal from you...[but the thing has been the constant for years]

recall tough love...tough on crime
the war on drug users...mate there are two reasons to go to court

personal injury..[like the theft of ya computers]
in which case you got to the courts..
and lodge a civil claim for damages..!

the other is statute/law
...[applicable to those having special powers,,'under the act]

see if you make any claim for powers under the act
like regestering birth/or transportinmg goods..
or business..booze or marriage

then your subject to the 'act'...
[and any violation of the act..sees you in court]
and subject to the penalties..'under the act'

now you know you got hurt bad
and the kid hasnt learned his lesson
so sue him/her via civil suit for damages

next case please
Posted by one under god, Sunday, 20 November 2011 7:47:22 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi SPQR,
Just to take one piece of your confusion and dissect it, if you read my comment carefully, i.e. on word at a time, you will see that I specifically say that street crime is falling in this country, i.e. Australia.
In my cause and effect example, I am equally careful to note that the research I'm referring to is in the US.
Please try to keep up. It's not that hard; you simply have to concentrate, instead of trying, (and failing), to be clever.
Cheers,
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Sunday, 20 November 2011 8:20:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy