The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australian Media Inquiry.

Australian Media Inquiry.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Censor ship, can be a Cowards tool.
Before debating our current process, Luke warm that it is we must confront some truths.
Media, all of it, is private property.
Do we have the right to control other than who owns it and how much they own.
Now see that bucket over there? put your current opinion in that.
Then tell us, if most of our media was owned by me, and I slanted it toward Labor would your view change.
My heading Censorship is heart felt, any of us, yes ever single human on the face of the planet, who thinks their view alone is right, is quite wrong.
News papers, we all can chant, free press free speech free investigative and free to protect sources.
Is it still like that.
Is it true one media giant, will public very few comments and opinions they do not support.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 11:05:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
im all for media spying on those in power
im only upset they dont report the full facts

they follow 100.' of leaders
lets hear what they found

bet the guy dies and we hear nuthin
as for alp bias..[lol]

peter beatup beaty fixed that..he gave all advertising to one news paper..and the one he hated shut down[went broke]

mate its all alp bull in qld
you want an alp bias..come to sunny qld

you chose who you read
i chose to get my info from tv/magazines/books and the web

i dont give a penny for biased reporting
was writing dont give a fk
..but thought better of it

mate it only fools those who love to be fooled
[its a confirmatiional bias]

just like you love alp/unions and carbon tax
thus refuse to question either

yet you hate tony
so want all of us to hate him too

no one is going to buy a paper
that defends those issues you dont like

so start your own
and you can do the same
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 11:51:45 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Robert Manne has suggested that any controversial article, presumably published in The Australian, should be accompanied a right of reply, a contrasting view. So an article SHOULDN'T be published UNLESS it is accompanied by a contrasting view ?

So all 'the other side' needs to do is to herd its cats and make sure that a 'contrasting view' is not forthcoming, and any article must thereby remain unpublished ? Apart from the inevitable delay in publishing anything even if a 'contrasting view' was forthcoming, whose 'contrasting view' would take priority ?

Ah, I see - that of some designated 'public intellectual' - all other views would be ruled inadmissible, ignorant, uninformed. So we would have to rely on Robert Manne, Clive Hamilton and David Marr ? And if they did not deign to put forward a 'contrasting view' ?

Oh well, so much for freedom of expression :(

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 2:29:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well we differ again OUG, inventions often take the place of reporting.
And our media is in festered! with commentators expressing their own views, in the form of questions.
I agree with right of reply, but would rather we step with care, I want the media to always look for truth.
So we should, in this case, see handcuffing them is dangerous, but no more than not monitoring them.
I doubt this inquiry, this government, wants a true review.
And have no doubt, not a bit, as bad or worse takes place here as phone hacking and questionable closeness of Conservatives and NI.
The influence and power, even contracts, given and gained are a concern.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 3:39:04 PM
Dear Joe (Loudmouth),

I'm surprised at your reasoning concerning
Rober Manne. I would never have picked him as
arguing about shutting down any debate. On the contrary,
I would have thought that he'd be a staunch supporter
of freedom of expression (one of the cornerstones of
a democracy).

What I think Manne objected to in the
past was that "no single proprietor should be able
to own 70% of print circulation."

Anyway, I'll have to do a bit more research on this topic
before I can comment further.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 3:47:23 PM
Lexi,

Yes, I was as amazed and shocked by Robert Manne's reported proposal as you are.

After all, what's sauce for the goose, etc., and imagine the effect of such a requirement being imposed on the National Indigenous times or New Matilda or Green Left Weekly.

Or on OLO, for that matter - how would Graham cope with such a requirement ? Would he have to scout around for counter-opinions of every article put up for publication ?

Obviously, if this report about Robert Manne is true (it is so out-of-character and oppressive of freedom of speech, I can scarcely believe it), it would shut down discussion on all serious topics, except Kim Kardashian's every movement. No, sorry, you're right, that's not a serious topic :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 4:41:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy