The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australian Media Inquiry.

Australian Media Inquiry.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/trolls-of-tv-and-radio-would-not-last-a-day-under-print-rules-20111124-1nwy5.html
A well written, if frighteningly true article.
It reminds me, I have called the inquiry wrongly a media one.
It should be, now do we truly say/want free press/media?
Is the grubby list of shock jocks ok to do what the current offensive grub has done?
Sorry but our apathy warns me the answer may be yes.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 25 November 2011 3:11:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,

I can well understand that people are offended by what some of these shock jocks say, and I personally think that most of them are pratts including Allan Jones. I avoid listening to him or KS, and admit that I mostly listen to the ABC simply because I prefer to hear all opinions.

However, I find the requirement to provide opinions from the other side of the issue extremely disturbing, as it is essentially dictating what the presenter has to say. Imagine a priest in the pulpit or a radio show having to give a "balanced" opinion from the "other side".

Jones, KS, and even Pauline Hanson have the right to free speech. We have the right not to listen.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 25 November 2011 9:58:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am glad SM we agree my descriptive term is a bit worse than Pratt's but same thoughts.
But Sydney Telegraph front page this morning.
Once a Packer publication, long before that the Labor day,ly.
So not known for balance but once so very much better.
Its front page was? well mate it was inflammatory junk.
Australian? sorry it should be softer paper it is of use in only one small room.
Look at Sanderlands
Is that ok.
I bet you would jump into help me if he said it in public in front of us.
My hobby is radio, gee if I could get a few hours at his desk.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 25 November 2011 5:17:58 PM
Newspapers with inflammatory headlines? gosh that's new.

What they said was exactly true. Gillard has capitulated to the greens and wiped the immigration slate clean of any deterrent, and the costs are going to be shifted from the federal budget to the state welfare budget. No wonder the states are P'ed off.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 26 November 2011 4:07:05 PM
If Shadow Minister, you truly believe that Abbott and his close supporters do not share the blame you have my deepest sympathy.
I have however never questioned your intelligence.
So am forced to say I think you understand as well as I do Doctor No, wants his toy.
He wants this issue more than border control.
Tony Abbott his close supporters, a shrinking number, are putting the dream, an Abbott government, before AUSTRALIA.
A day will come, that puts a spotlight on his betrayal of LIBERALISM, and the push of Howard and others, including the Gutter press/toilet paper press.
All willingly betraying the Westminster system and our country.
It remains true Gillard is no leader but true too Abbott tells more lies in a day than she has in her life.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 26 November 2011 4:34:26 PM
Any day Labor wants to use Nauru it can. The only thing stopping it is pride.

If Juliar tries it and it doesn't work, then she can legitimately call on Abbott to try the Malaysian solution. Until then she has the Pacific solution that worked spectacularly that she refuses to use because she will lose face.

Abbott if backing the Malaysian solution would then be guilty of the worst hypocrisy.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 26 November 2011 5:51:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy