The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Watch out oldies.

Watch out oldies.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Let us not forget the Returned Servicemen and Women whose benefits get less and less year by year as they, themselves, get less and less.
It's a toss up which will come first.

Lest We Forget.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 6 August 2011 4:26:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I volunteer @ both HACC and our Nursing Home, I have seen none of these 'acts of cruelty' that have been spoken about on this thread. My mother was widowed at the age of 70, in Kalgoorlie, bereft of her family she came down to live where we reside., She rented an aged persons unit, enjoyed her life until she became demented. We put her in an Hostel attached (UMR) to the Nursing Home, she was treated with dignity and respect, the people seen 'supported' by a sheet in a chair were few, but it did stop them slipping down to the floor. I visited my Mother every day for 8 years.
The Residents' own Doctor's' made "house-calls" when requested by the Nursing Home, and on nice days they were taken down by volunteers.
My mother had little money, but what she did have was 'hers', and her pension was sufficient to pay for her keep etc.
I was volunteering at the NH when it was inspected by the Powers that Be, who arrived unannounced. The verdict? The best Nursing Home in W.A., if not Australia. I had the privilege of being with my Mother when she eventually passed over at 85 y.o., the next morning when I had to return to the NH to remove Mums' personal effects from her room. I was greeted by tearful carers, and a bed, freshly made and strewn with Rose petals. We had a memorial service at the nursing home and the place was absolutely chock full of other Residents and Nursing staff, even those who were off duty.
I cannot complain, maybe I live in the right place, but here in the Communtiy that I live in, the elderly are well respected by those who are younger, and they are not 'invisible' when out and about.
Yes, we did pay 12%+ interest on our Home Loans, 24%+ on HP worked from aged 15 - 65, raised kids (and worked), now I enjoy the pension each fortnight, and and I know where I will go when I am all alone.
NSB
Posted by Noisy Scrub Bird, Saturday, 6 August 2011 4:54:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For those interested the Gillard policys will be released at 2,30 Monday =www.pc.gov.au

rehctub,

Good grief Bob Katter ah- you have gone all out. Your comments are spot on. Bob should do very well at the next elections. Hes got Rob Moore on just grounds keeping the possum stirred. How is the poor old chap?
He*was making the right noises up there about building more abattoirs. Haven’t heard much more but with ACCO doing the feasibility study - I think the industry may have made him a donation to his party Hehe.

Your comments bring a smile to my face just remembering real people still exist , thanks T/C

NSB

Sad but lovely story thanks for sharing. & what a lovely daughter You don’t say how long ago or if it was a country town. That is the way people used to be treated yes.
Also I was referring to state Government hospitals. Yesterday I spoke with the Federal Ministers advisor & she confirmed they too knew of & had heard of some real horror stories under state government. That’s the problem they are aware but don’t remove them. You worked from 15 to 65 and you have every right to be treated as well as your Mum was. So has everybody else who worked and paid their taxes- my point.
Can’t imagine you being too alone- nice parents tend to pass their good genes alone .And of course you are aware your Mum will be watching over you as I am sure she is now.
Sadly not all oldies are treated well NSB & its got to stop .

Is Mise

Last but certainty not least

Let us not forget the Returned Servicemen and Women whose benefits get less and less year by year as they, themselves, get less and less.
It's a toss up which will come first.

Yes Lest We Forget Indeed- How did you go with your fire wood?
Can you explain about the payments getting less for returned soldiers pls
Posted by Kerryanne, Saturday, 6 August 2011 5:50:05 PM
Here is a thought;
After death duties, will they come after you for carbon tax when they
put you through the crematorium ?
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 6 August 2011 10:30:54 PM
LOL...I'll pay that one...lol top shelf:)

Bazz on ya....

LEAP
Posted by Quantumleap, Saturday, 6 August 2011 11:24:55 PM
Dear Is Mise,
Thank you for your lovely post, yes, I am aware that some Seniors are treated unfairly and sadly, badly. I have a great respect for Seniors, they have created much of the things that we enjoy today.
My Biological Father died at aged 32, when I was just 7 y.o., after being sent in to Nagasaki after the second bomb was dropped. This left my very young Mum (still in her 20's) without much income, as the war widows' pension was about $14.00 per week(todays currency)., a fellow Royal Marine of my Father dropped around and was courting my Mother (I was nine by then), she married him and our life from then on was horrendous. However he did bring us to this great Country in 1959, and life improved a little.
Many years later, after Step-fathers' death, I asked Mum why she married him....her answer was this: "I was two days away from having you and your sister put in an Orphanage", she, in my eyes, made a Supreme Sacrifice, most of our Older Seniors, have had a very hard road to travel, if I had to, I would lay down my life for any one of them. Again, thanks for your lovely words, and yes, I know and feel for those who no longer have a voice in some so-called Nursing Homes.
Cheers,
NSB
Posted by Noisy Scrub Bird, Sunday, 7 August 2011 3:33:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy