The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Christmas Cards

Christmas Cards

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the flood of snail mail Christmas cards this year is less than usual, and I'm wondering whether the Christmas card has had its day.

On the business front we'll be sending out electronic cards to our clients, as have a lot of businesses. It is less personal, but it's easier.

With respect to personal friends I'm still tossing-up. There are not too many people that I feel I need to reach out to because I haven't seen them during the year. Most of my friends are on Facebook, or turn-up from time to time in my email in-box.

Is this a common feeling and experience, or have I just been hit by a touch of the Scrooges?
Posted by GrahamY, Friday, 17 December 2010 12:07:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think, or at least I hope, it's a general phenomenon. I confess to giving up sending Christmas cards about ten years ago. After a few years our friends and acquaintances obviously noticed we weren't requiting their Yuletide greetings, and the stream slowed to a dribble until last year we got one - yes one! - pro forma card from some real estate agent I couldn't even remember!

Bah! Humbug!
Posted by Peter Hume, Friday, 17 December 2010 1:02:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Phoowey to Christmas!

I wish my friends a good break or a happy holiday or a happy summer solstice. But that Xmess business, nope it went by the wayside years ago!

So Graham, you might be a wee bit of a Scrooge McDuck, but compared to me your scroogery is infinitesimal! ( :< /
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 17 December 2010 1:28:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Me too ,and what a relief.
Last year was the first shrinking from about 30 to just a few.
e mail rose but not by much.
I am no fan but have one card this year!
one
And from a woman I am having trouble remembering!
Merry Christmas every one this is your only card you will get from Belly savings go toward a bottle of Bundy, knew him a long time before he found that while bear.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 17 December 2010 1:48:47 PM
Graham:

I usually send out quite a few Christmas cards, mainly overseas, and ones to people that I won't be seeing. And this year I must admit that I did narrow the numbers a bit, as well as thus far we've been getting less as well. So, yes, I would definitely agree that numbers have noticeably dropped.

PS: I don't like electronic cards - you can't hang them up and display them and I must admit I love the old-fashioned cards that add a certain lustre to a room. It's also nice to get a personal hand-written message from a friend. I also love the Christmas-letters that people write - but that's just me.
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 17 December 2010 2:54:48 PM
I have never been much on sending Christmas cards.

That is perhaps why I have lost contact with quite a few people with whom I would now like to be in contact, even if just occasionally.

It is as you get close to becoming history, that your history, & the people in it become more important to you.

Make the effort to stay in contact.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 17 December 2010 3:12:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy