The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Oh dear, oh dear ( Australia) what have you done now ?

Oh dear, oh dear ( Australia) what have you done now ?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Last night I channel switched and based on what I saw This election has/will deliver the worst possible outcome. I watched, except from SBS, was an unedifying display of constant Liberal partisan denial/ arrogance . Particularly that female Liberal senator from NSW on ABC. Tony Abbott's premature' all but victory speech'. Are we about to get John HOWARD by not so remote control. A mandate?

“The people have spoken” ..true but denial of the clear undercurrent of the message being sent by the electors. “a pox on both your houses”.

*So much for the inanity of blank or informal vote or the protest vote. One wonders in a few months how many of those 'protest voters ' will wish they hadn't been a bit more cerebral with their vote.

*You have un straight jacketed the 'Mad Monk' instead of Tony Abbott the Prime Minister.

*You have rewarded the fear based campaigns of BOTH parties particularly the Libs solely negative .

*You have created 3 years of unpopular/unstable government!

**Clearly in the name of Democracy the first govt forming opportunity should go to the Libs.**

Finally my Switz army knife grinding is to restate that in Party driven Politics the win is everything not necessarily common sense, good government or the will of the people.
Consequently we have Visceral manipulation by both parties and over crowding of the lowest Common Denominator.

The result is yet another blow against sensible government.
Posted by examinator, Sunday, 22 August 2010 10:27:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think it is a good result.This could be the beginning of the end of Labor and make way for a another polical force that actually represents the people instead of large corporate interests.

Let Labor tear themselves apart in their corruption and depravity.They have sold their principles for money and power.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 22 August 2010 11:37:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay:>> This could be the beginning of the end of Labor.and make way for a another polical force that actually represents the people instead of large corporate interests.<<

Arjay, historically we have been a 50/50 electorate with a couple of seats being the difference. The impetus that Labor received in 2007 because of work choices has now gone back from whence it came, delivering us the traditional 50/50 split again. Labor is not "failing" they are status quoing.

Re the big business aspect, the days of a party for the workers and party for the bosses has gone. It began with the corporate greed of the eighties, the era that the current lot of Labor power brokers grew up in. The Labor party of Ben Chifley is dead and the polarization of the Labor and Liberals has diminished, both houses are now headed up by Lawyers and barristers.
Posted by sonofgloin, Sunday, 22 August 2010 12:56:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
examinator: The result is yet another blow against sensible government.<<

E, what do call it when an adjective and a noun are diametrically opposed, well it escapes me at the moment but "sensible government" is that dichotomy.
Posted by sonofgloin, Sunday, 22 August 2010 1:05:42 PM
This is the best election-result under the circumstances.
Now the big parties will be forced to do what they hate most - consult with and listen to the people!

Either there will be a joint government (Labor+Liberals), where the parties will agree to consult the people of Australia by referenda on the main issues, or at least the voice of the people will be heard to a certain degree through the independents.

Congratulations, Australia.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 22 August 2010 1:21:44 PM
Sonofgloin,
Are you hinting at an oxymoron?
In which case I have to disagree, I'm not ready to dispense with the great common underbelly of Australians yet, let's call the term an aspirational one.

Yuyutsu
I find your naivety refreshing but there won't be any real conversation or real change in Coalition policy.(given democratic principles they should form a minority govt.

Last night Abbott unleashed, made it clear he believe he has a mandate to trash the sound polices of the Labor as well as the nonsense ones. The independents won't get much real say. I doubt they will as a block Lib key promises and force a re election. They will compromise for benefits to their electorates...their job. No, it won't be a horse trading exercise for trough wallowing rights, but they will support the Libs in to govern...budget and key policies under the guise of "stable govt".

What I'd like to see are the negotiations done under public scrutiny (fat chance).

I'm afraid this side of a miracle Labor doesn't by democratic standards have a mandate to govern.

I do believe that independents will have a greater chance of influencing policy with the Labor than the Libs.
These Independents *if they do their job properly* will be under obscene pressure should be applauded. However, I have my doubts particularly Bob Catter Jr. I hope to be surprised.
Posted by examinator, Sunday, 22 August 2010 2:26:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy