The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why do workers get paid by the hour

Why do workers get paid by the hour

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Why pay by the hour?
In 1904 The truck act was made law, to prevent people like you paying workers with food, potatoes and the like. They were made to pay cash.
The forty hour week replaced the forty eight hour week. All these conditions were won by workers who had to fight to get fairness and fight to keep fairness. Mate it is the LAW and John Howard eventually failed to smash unions on your behalf so why don't you learn how to get the best out of you workers by treating them as if they are humans and give some respect. you will be suprised when respect is returned your productivity will go up.
A good rule of thumd is, the worker will giv 95% because they want to and 60% when they have to.
Wake up it ain't rocket science, just decency.
Lorry
Posted by lorry, Tuesday, 11 May 2010 10:51:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey rehctub,
I had a company secretary exlain his butcher boss's super scheme. It would suit you just fine.
What this particular butcher did was to set up an employee contribution fund for his chain of 10 shops in the suburbs.
He would match dollar for dollar after they served ten years. If the employee left before ten years the employee forfieted his or her entitlement.
This employer, lets call himm the Good Butcher and his wife were the trustees of the fund.
So what he did was sack each worker when they got their service up to 9 years and 9 months. Ultimately he closed his chain of shops down and the monies left in the fund reverted to the trustees to disperse. Lo, and behold, the only ones left in the fund were his missus and he.
LOL I told you this scheme would suit you, did'n I.
Posted by lorry, Tuesday, 11 May 2010 11:56:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rehctub , I think your post is the closest thing to fascism i've read on this site.

Workers in the US haven't had a pay increase in 20 yrs or longer and hence the abominable tips regime. A system born of the haves and have nots. How demeaning do you think life should be for others in order that you can continue improving yours.

I am loyal to my employer out of habit, but the fact is, in my industry that the hourly award rate is never paid to retail sales people. Payslips falsify the hours worked by a salesperson each week.

These people spend 55hrs+ a week at work but their payslip says they only spent 40.
As well as receiving a persons productivity (and paying for it in commissions), the employer also receives their time. 15 hours of it unpaid each week.

All of us only have one life Rehctub. Time is money!.

If an employer were to receive 40 hrs labour from an employee and then say ," I'm only paying for 25 hrs", millions of people would be out in the street protesting with or without unions. And yet this illegal practice is common in retail sales in our country.

On tips I've had one employer who sent a memo round, " that deemed all tips for service etc as officially belonging to him". Meaning slabs of beer etc. Tips are a form of charity, not a guarantee of better service or higher wages..

All people need time for their own life. 15 free work hrs per week over a person's working lifetime takes a huge chunk out of someone else's life and times without compensation, other than keeping their job. Loyalty is a problem in my industry because the only way to improve your wages against rising prices/inflation in real terms, is by changing employer. But you could be out of the fat and into the fire? by doing that.

Having more respect for your own employee's and their situation might be a good place for you to start enjoying your own life, Rehctub
Posted by thinker 2, Tuesday, 11 May 2010 7:23:50 PM
Rehctub, when you eat out do you leave a tip?

If the price is right, by that I mean well prices for what it is, the food is good and the service is good, then yes I do.

Hi lorry

Havn't seen you before, welcome to my fan club!

BTW, my books are perfect and all entitlements, including super are always paid.

Paul, whoever you are, people in glass houses shoudn't throw stanes mate. You threw mud at me so I returned serve.

BTW, well done, I like to see people succeeding, unlike my fan club of 'tall poppies'.

Gee you lot are thick!

You just can't get your head around the fact that I do look after my staff well.

It's like a game of cricket were you are all trying so very hard to get me out.

Next batter up please!
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 11 May 2010 8:40:32 PM
thinker 2

Belly is more up to date on the dud IR laws under Gillard, but when I was organising I took employers to court for wages up to six years back.

Anyone working those extra 15 hours, under direction and not off their own bat, can claim back, or could claim back, up to six years unpaid wages.

And superannuation on ordinary hours.

Employees are not allowed to work unpaid overtime, for a number of reasons, including problems with workers comp.

This sort of behaviour is part of the 'we take you give' mentality of some employers I wrote about above.

This is what unions are for.

But, if not in a union, the workplace inspectors do the work for you too.

I took one employer to the inspector years ago for sacking me miles from home, and to my great suprise and delight, ended up with nearly a $1k back pay for all my travel time, wrong classification, and various allowances.

My complaint was the first time anyone had lodged one with a well known bad-boss in a small town, and gave the inspector an opportunity to go through his books and pick up underpayments for the remaining fellow too...all given 'willingly' by the time he had finished with the bar-steward.

Take no prisoners when you get dudded...attack with all your weapons.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Tuesday, 11 May 2010 8:46:47 PM
Rehctub
"You just can't get your head around the fact that I do look after my staff well."
This is your assessment of yourself. Based on your posts, even if you do look after staff well, your looking for an opportunity not to do so.

"It's like a game of cricket were you are all trying so very hard to get me out"
Rehctub you have been cleaned bowled a number of times, but like your workplace you make all the rules and wont take the umpires decision.

TBC

Like most employers Retailers both large and small are very much profit driven, and use child exploitation as their biggest tool to boost the bottom line.

Cheers Paul.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 12 May 2010 5:44:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy