The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why do workers get paid by the hour

Why do workers get paid by the hour

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Agree completely with both Pynchme and Antiseptic.

Am now watching for pigs flying past my window.

Working in film, I get paid an hourly rate if I do extras work or a flat fee if I am featured. No matter how many hours I may spend on set, a contract fee is always better money than hanging around for many hours as an extra.

However, extras and crew tolerate long hours and poor pay because of a love for the industry - the creative process. The same cannot be said of most 'treadmill' work, such as factory production line, cleaning, sales or low-level office work.

Pay structure tends to be hierarchical where the lowest paid may well be working harder - such as apprentices, cleaners, care-workers. It is all about the status - on that alone a boss or manager may well feel an entitlement to ensuring that they are rewarded well over and above their employees. Rehctub exemplifies this attitude consistently.

Maybe Rehctub would like to pay his employees by weight and only hire anorexics.

:P
Posted by Severin, Sunday, 9 May 2010 11:41:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Agree completely with both Pynchme and Antiseptic."

I hope that your head does not explode from trying to hold that together ; )

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Sunday, 9 May 2010 12:41:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
R0bert

Head not exploding, just laughing.

:)
Posted by Severin, Sunday, 9 May 2010 12:47:06 PM
May I join in with the sentiments of Severin, Antiseptic and Pynchme.

and Poirot - thankfully rehctub does not represent all employers or the workers would be living in hovels and under bridges.

People are paid for their labour rehctub, regardless of whether the apple they place on the shelf is 50g or 55g.

Try and think of labour as a product - 10 hours of work = $x.

Sheesh...
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 9 May 2010 2:08:51 PM
Try and think of labour as a product - 10 hours of work = $x.
Pelican,
where does that leave bureaucrats who, despite being utterly unproductive, yet get higher pays than your average apple sorter ? Therein lies the inequality many try to draw attention to.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 9 May 2010 2:32:20 PM
individual
If it makes you feel better yes many public servants are overpaid when compared to the industry sector but not in all areas. The public service is too top-heavy and the SES needs to be trimmed. The problems with the APS are that too many frontline workers are sacrificed in budget cuts while senior levels remain relatively unscathed. This has flow on consequences to program delivery and the more customer service focussed roles and lack of service to the very public who pay for those services. You.

Public servants do produce something in the form of a service, whether it be the Centrelink worker who faces abuse each day from disgruntled customers who have had to queue for hours on the phone or in person because of cuts to the coal face, or those who are helping to reduce homelessness or list a heritage building.

individual, there are too many important functions to list here, but I am not sure what this has to do with hourly rates in terms of rehctub's essential point.
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 9 May 2010 2:45:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy