The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Community Benefits from Discriminatory Immigration policy

Community Benefits from Discriminatory Immigration policy

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All
Banjo

Excellent question from Jewely:

"...what I keep saying is that I like the Lebs, always have but here they act different and what did you do to them if they are okay everywhere else?"

See, it takes two to have a difference of opinion.

Jewely

I have never had a translation of a Haka - all I know is if I was a warrior and a mob of Maoris were facing me off with a Haka, I'd jump back into my canoe and skedaddle quick smart.

Maybe Aboriginal elders could team up with a few Maoris - sort out land rights and equity here in OZ.
Posted by Fractelle, Wednesday, 27 May 2009 1:11:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hiya Fractelle,

Didn't the Maoris come over ages ago to give the Aboriginals a hand? There were many comments at the time in NZ about the poor Aussies.

I don't know how they got on but I'm sure the two native races have very different feelings for their lands.

Hey check this one out...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2773496/ka-mate-all-black-haka
Posted by Jewely, Wednesday, 27 May 2009 1:49:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jewelry,
What is our way of life? Well you have been here a while and you have lived in the Middle East, so you must be able to see a big difference in the way we live to that of people in Middle Eastern countries.

Fancy someone in Aus refering to you as a 'pakeha'. I had to look the word up to find it meant a white Kiwi. I would just call you a Kiwi whether you are Maori or not.

Now, it was you that said We (Aussies) had 'fully corrupted' the Lebs and i would really like to know what made you come to that conclusion. If i knew we had corrupted them i would not have to ask.

I know you liked the Lebs in the Middle East and how do you know they are the same everywhere else, except Aus. Your Kids teenage friends told you of their reputation here.

Arabs does not seem to be a term that is used much here. Middle Eastern People usually refer to themselves by their nationality. e.g. Iraqi or Egyptian and so on
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 27 May 2009 9:57:37 PM
"What is our way of life? Well you have been here a while and you have lived in the Middle East... (word limit) to see a big difference in the way we live to that of people in Middle Eastern countries."

I am confusing the two different threads now. What I have noticed (where I am) is no particular way of life... same as NZ except no link to your aboriginals or a particular dominant church etc.

Hey you know what, it might come from me fostering. How your department treats the kids compared to NZ. From what I have seen (again getting a bit scared now and do not want to be shot) the children are not treated as a primary importance.

I suspect you Aussies for all your bluster don't concider yourselves as having a huge amount of worth and I have seen this reflected in your care of the little state wards.

"Fancy someone in Aus refering to you as a 'pakeha'. I had to look the word up to find it meant a white Kiwi. I would just call you a Kiwi whether you are Maori or not."

I called him many things back, none racist, more to do with what he had in his pants. He didn't seem to know that we are Pakehas but in the middle east they would ask if "Kiwi" was a polite term. Maori's perfer being called "Maori" (means "normal" in their langugae).

Hmm... I only hear all Arabs in Oz referred to as "Lebs". Like calling all white people dutch or something I guess. Okay corrupted, nah we are going to go in circles, I keep saying you did it and you keep asking how and then I'll go you tell me and you will say nah you tell me.

I don't know why the Lebs arn't nice here but it certainly has had a personal impact on my children that they arn't and I haven't been in Oz long enough to own that problem beyond telling my lot off if using the wrong race name when abusing them.
Posted by Jewely, Thursday, 28 May 2009 2:06:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy