The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Christianity for real?

Is Christianity for real?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
The concept of trinity was a Roman construct of the 3rd century in an attempt by them to explain 3 spatial beings as one. However God is not a spatial being - He is the purest spirit of life outside all created form to whom we ought to aspire.

God is manifest through the spirit of those who accept the character, attitudes, actions and sacrifical life that Jesus Christ revealed as truly God incarnate. That he is the true template for human living. We ought to give devoted admiration to the ideals of His character and expression (eg Love) and live passionate and sacrificial lives for our fellow man. Jesus said follow me.

Christians ought to live by the teachings of Christ and not by the ancient laws that governed an Israeli nation 3000 years ago. The Bible is a record of growth in human history and thought and gives the background for current attitudes and views. It gives credibility to the principles of existence. It is the search for meaning and how those who sought found their answere.
Posted by Philo, Thursday, 19 February 2009 7:58:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I guess that you must be sincere in your confusion OP2, but you have to admit that wasn't particularly clear from your opening post.

I think you may have fallen into the trap of questioning your faith too closely.

The way you seem to be approaching the issue is akin to the different ways people can look at an oil painting.

Let's take Titian's "Three Ages of Man" as an example.

When you first look at it, it seems to be a handsome picture, that elegantly summarizes man's passage through life. The sleeping babies under the angel's watchful eye. The spunky guy in his prime, pleasantly exhausted after an encounter with a shepherdess. And the old bloke staring at a couple of skulls, presumably contemplating his final days.

However, the closer you get, the more confused it becomes. The babies' skin looks coarse and blotchy. What appeared to be the face of slaked pleasure turns out to be nothing more than closed eyes. While the look of terror on the old man's face sort of dissolves into individual brush strokes - very clever brush strokes, but ultimately just a series of coloured stripes.

And when you get very close, it has become completely incoherent. Just blotches of dried paint, with no apparent form or framework.

It's the same with religion.

From an appropriate mental distance, it all looks very attractive.

There's security and warmth in imagining that someone is looking after you. And there's the forgiveness of sins thing to make you feel better about yourself.

But if you look too closely, all you will ever find is contradictions and inconsistencies.

So, my advice would be, if you need religion in order to feel comfortable in the world, step back.

Don't look too closely.

And don't ask such simple, unanswerable questions as "If Jesus' word isn't good enough for a Christian then whose is?"
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 19 February 2009 8:31:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thankyou for your explanation Pericles ... I am not a Christian.

The question "If Jesus' word isn't good enough for a Christian then whose is?" is the most important question a Christian should ask themselves. Most never reflect on what their preacher is telling them.

The "Trinity" genie got out of the bottle and Philo is correct. The trinity was a "Roman Construct" or a "construct of man".

Jesus said in John 14: 28 ... "I am going to the Father for he is greater than I" These words totally undermine the concept of the trinity as taught by many churches ... The Son of God said he was a lesser being than his father God! Sad (for many) but true this is what this statement says!

Jesus' word, actions and deed should be the basis of Christianity. So for Christians to truly understand God they need to fully understand that Jesus' word is "The Word" and in their hearts and minds they need to reflect heavily upon his words ONLY.

Most importantly if this "human construct" is wrong then what else being taught in churches is wrong?

In many churches they only allow "confirmed" members of their church and other visiting members "confirmed" in their own churches to take communion. During the last supper in Luke 22:17-20 Jesus is basically saying "Take communion in memory of me".

MOST IMPORTANT - He makes no statement that says only "confirmed members of his church" may do this. In fact the bread is his body and people who aren't confirmed but are believers want to take part in a ceremony given to them by Jesus but mishandled by the Church.

Why have churches made changes that limit Jesus' body and blood being shared amongst those who may be in the process of knowing him? It is unbiblical and therefore "a ritual of man".

Do Christians who say they follow Jesus' teachings realise man is modifying and altering those teachings. For Christians isn't the alteration, modification, misrepresentation or change of any of Jesus' word wrong and unChristian?

Listen if you have ears!
Posted by Opinionated2, Thursday, 19 February 2009 11:29:04 AM
No Christian is a follower of Jesus. Since Jesus lived and died a Jew those who wish to follow him should not reject his religion but should seek conversion to his religion which is still around.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 19 February 2009 11:47:43 AM
Well, I was certainly wrong on one matter, OP2.

>>I guess that you must be sincere in your confusion OP2<<

Sincerity clearly does not come into the equation here, does it? Serves me right for giving you the benefit of the doubt.

>>Thankyou for your explanation Pericles ... I am not a Christian<<

Then why, for goodness sake, are you concerning yourself with these questions? It is very, very bad manners to pretend to be interested, and lard your posts with frequent biblical quotations, when all the time you are simply goading the devout with devious questions that they cannot possibly answer.

Furthermore, what makes you think you are qualified to speculate on what they may or may not find important?

>>The question "If Jesus' word isn't good enough for a Christian then whose is?" is the most important question a Christian should ask themselves<<

Pretty presumptuous for a non-Christian, I'd suggest.

And why are you consulting priests?

>>I spoke to a minister the other day ... pointing out that...<<

How very rude of you. I hope he told you where to shove your thoughtless and arrogant observations on his faith.

But thank you for providing the clearest possible evidence that yes, you are indeed a troll...

"someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response" - Wikipedia
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 19 February 2009 12:31:25 PM
Wow Pericles... Have you lost the plot? We are having a philosophical discussion here ... STOP name calling .. Please don't call me a troll ... I turn the other cheek...lol

Take a chill pill Pericles you aren't in 495 – 429 BC now... please catch up with the main game.

Now back to the topic

These questions have moulded mankind... It is important we discuss them openly and with the relevant references so that at least Pericles can understand. If he can then others may.

If man's teachings are placed higher than the specific words of Jesus then should Christianity be renamed to "Manianity with the occasional reference to Jesus' words"? You can't say that the Bible is the word of God and then ignore a specific instruction - can you?

Pericles ... I'm not allowed to consult a priest for a discussion on matters of religion and faith... Are you for real?

So if Jesus is "the Son of God" and a Christian wants to follow Jesus why confuse Jesus' teachings with Pauls or any other of man's teachings in their Bible? Why cherry pick? Why change Jesus' intentions?

Why not isolate Jesus' teachings ... understand those fully ... and then discover which group bests reflects your saviour the Lord Jesus Christ.

There is only one ministry ... The ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ and yet almost "ALL" denominations, churches and sects have taken his name out of their names. What does this say?

One final thing Pericles... Many Christians won't have even realised that Jesus said what he did in John 14:28.

If Christians aren't questioning the trinity and how it has been preached since it's inception then Jesus' own words have fallen on rock and have no chance of bearing fruit.

Lastly I would like to refer back to Otokonoko posted - John 13:34. "I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you shall also love one another."

Now there is a starting point for mankind!
Posted by Opinionated2, Thursday, 19 February 2009 2:31:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14