The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > I don't know what a "Bogan" is but I know where they are.

I don't know what a "Bogan" is but I know where they are.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
In a recent extended and unexpected stay at an outer (Known city wide as “Bogan City”) suburban hospital I found myself amidst an insecure, violent, emotional maelstrom prone environment again, but this time I was sick, virtually defenceless, trapped.
Of the 9 nights/nights spent there were 5 five notable public displays unacceptably offensive, verbally, physically, attitudinal violent, behaviour (in and around ONE ward).
(The specifics are irrelevant to this post as it is not my intention that the conversation divide along, religious or political lines with their accompanying arrogances, slanging match, slogans, epithets and pointless quotes from dogma.)

It is one thing to be broadly define, categorize (easy pigeon holing = trivializing, overly simplistic thinking,) someone else’s and/or an area as ‘Bogan’ but what does this really mean?
The aspects are unique to this ‘class’ area or sub species. Clearly untrue so what is it that defines the word “Bogan “ and more specifically, what are the implications for a solutions and science if we just write them off?
Clearly the current approach isn't working having 'no go' or anti social concentrated suburbs in today's 1st world cities is both obscene and a potential time bomb.
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 1 January 2009 12:53:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
examinor,
You will have to do a far better job of explaining what you are on about.

I only understood that you spent sometime in a hospital somewhere. I do not know if you were unhappy with your treatment or unhappy with the staff or other patients.

As for the word Bogan. I now of a Bogan moth the comes out of the high country sometimes during summer and apparently causes some distress to those occupying Parliament house in Canberra. I think there is a Bogan river somewhere also, but not sure where.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 1 January 2009 4:14:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think Examinator is on about how rough bogans actually can be and that they are concentrated in certain areas and it's not good? I dunno if that is correct?

We had some move in from the next (very poor high crime)suburb over from here and terrorized my units for 12 months. They ran a crack house and all it entails, the lowest was one of them smeared her feces on our front door. No one could call the cops for a year due to fear... there was intense and constant violence and one feared for ones physical safety if not ones life.

I think there are *bogans* around poverty, and resentment. I also think *bogs* are socially retarded in some form... They really don't seem to know or care that crime and violence are actually wrong. Be it that they freely use physical or verbal violence or somehow affect their surroundings in a deeply negative way through their absolute disrespect. There are many kids from this suburb begging or threatening for money and yelling abuse etc under 10 years old. They are bought up to hate the world by their parents, hence they have no bloody chance in the world at all.

When this neighbor first moved in, my bike was stolen and he went into this suburb next door and got it back for me.

He was a nice guy.

He said to us at first he wanted to get out of that life and make it in the world but I don't think these units where far enough way from his extended families suburb who moved in like shadows and maintained the high volume of crime and violence and fear.
Posted by meredith, Thursday, 1 January 2009 5:17:21 PM
Banjo,
Sorry my point wasn’t clear. I was intending to raise the social issue that no one I know can give me a precise definition of what a 'Bogan' is. There are no unique traits that determine a 'Bogan'. My problem is therefore without a clear definition we can't attempt to alter the circumstances that create 'boganvilles' etc everywhere.
Even in a hospital a place of healing VIOLENT antisocial behaviours intrude.
The staff, the facilities were GOOD my closeting in this environment only emphasised the toxic nature of these 'boganistic' suburbs.
Current public practices of pigeon holing doesn't solve anything positive in fact all it does is create an belligerent 'toxic' underclass.
For the good of society there has to be a better way of countering their (the ‘bogans' individual problems). What can we do to help and reduce the on going impact these destructive places. Raising children in hell generally only raises the next generation of problems.

PS if you ever read a post by me and it seems egocentric then either you or I have missed the issue. To me discussions site are never the right place to run personal issues/agendas.
I hope this helps. :-)
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 1 January 2009 6:39:41 PM
Hope you are feeling better examinator.

Dictionary.com describes bogan as 1. A backwater, usually narrow and tranquil and: 2. Any narrow stretch of water.

Probably does not help much but perhaps 'backwater' may suggest someone ignorant and uneducated.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 1 January 2009 6:42:32 PM
Can get all people into good enough schooling that they can at least have the choice to make more of their education or career... It gives options to get out bad worlds that being kept uneducated or poorly educated can't give.
Posted by meredith, Thursday, 1 January 2009 7:13:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy