The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Selective perceptions of animal cruelty

Selective perceptions of animal cruelty

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 27
  8. 28
  9. 29
  10. All
The Australian community is quite rightly sickened and shocked by the torture, mutilation and brutal slaying of a 7-month old fox-terrier puppy near Mackay in Queensland. 'Hardened' police officers were described as being 'visibly shaken' by video footage of the incident.

The puppy's nose, one ear, right foreleg and rear left leg were cut off, it was cut open from neck to tail, and it was decapitated. A pair of garden shears and a pocket knife were used to torture and kill the puppy. This incident has been described as the worst in Australia's history.

Not that long ago, we saw video footage of another animal being similarly butchered. In this incident, the animal first had his throat hacked open, then the torturer severed the lower portion of his foreleg. As the animal pulled back its stump, the man reached for the next leg. Finally the belly of the still conscious animal was sliced open.

This was an Australian animal, a Victorian sheep in Kuwait, and as Animals Australia has proven time and time again, is routine treatment of Australian animals in importing countries. It is called a 'celebration', that particular 'celebration' being the opening of a jewellery store. It was watched with great enthusiasm by groups of locals including children. Australian animals in their millions have been, and continue to be, treated as badly or worse because we keep sending them, knowing this to be true. Cattle have their eyes stabbed, and leg tendons slashed to disable and disorient them. Think for a moment about the agony of these animals.

Our inconsistency in how we feel about this should concern us all as a society.

If we regard the torture of the puppy in Queensland as sickening and abhorrent, should we not view the level or torture inflicted upon the animals we send to the Middle East and SE Asia with equal disgust? The Australian government, which we elected to represent our views as a society, continues relentlessly to promote this disgraceful trade.

Is this what we want the world to understand are our views on extreme animal abuse?
Posted by Nicky, Thursday, 30 October 2008 6:21:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nicky, we most definitely should stand up for the basic principles of the decent treatment of animals that we export.

But there are complicating factors such as relationships with countries that accept live exports and with losses incurred by the producers of live exports and the communities they live in if the trade with certain countries was suddenly stopped or reduced.

We’re not in a really good position to demand that our exported animals be treated humanely…are we?
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 30 October 2008 10:11:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
But Ludwig, at what point do we draw a moral line in the sand? Our animals will not be treated like that if we don't send them. Nothing has changed in three decades of this trade. Evidence has proven that during the live export embargo on animals to Saudi Arabia, the trade in frozen meat tripled. When the government was forced to stop sending sheep to Egypt, that country also increased its imports of frozen meat, and did not import more live animals from other sources.

The AMIEU puts direct job losses in recent years as a result of the live export trade at 40,000. Furthermore, as far back as 2000, the Heilbron report observed that the live export trade could be costing Australia around $1.5 billion in lost GDP, and around $270 million in household income. Add to that indirect jobs in rural and regional centres where meat processing was the only, or the major employer.

Did the "producers" care any more about that than they do about the egregious cruelty to which these animals are subjected? Realistic estimates of the jobs provided by this sector are about 3,000, because most of the jobs claimed in the industry-sponsored reports would continue to exist without the export factor.

But I agree with you, Australia has much to be ashamed of in terms of animal welfare in this country, while "producers" place animal welfare a distant last, trucking animals across the country, for a few extra bucks, in all weather conditions just for slaughter. Add to that the intensive farming of pigs, meat chickens and battery hens and feedlots.

But we have to start somewhere, and that should be with what is arguably the worst animal abuse to which the Australian government turns a blind eye, and that is sending live animals on horror journeys to face the most brutal, savage cruelty in handling and slaughter. At the very least, we owe them some mercy in life and in death.

Nicky
Posted by Nicky, Thursday, 30 October 2008 10:37:39 PM
In the book of genesis it tells us that man was given the job of tending Gods great garden . Part of that job description was to look after the animals but Adam was warned not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil For on that day he would die {Separation from his father} . All people need their fathers love . Logic will tell you that a garden tended with the motivation of love blooms . When people are without direction idle hands make much mischief . Knowledge of God brings purpose and direction to a lost world but the god of this world " satin " has as his job discription to rid the world of the knowledge of God . Severer punishments don't change the heart people only follow while they are dominated . Jesus said these words "how can satin cast out satin" .Without a change of heart man will NEVER EVER reach his true destiny which is to be the best you that you are . Paul put it eloquintly in Romans 7 - 19 "for the good that I would , I do not : but the evil that I would not.That I do ." So without a change of direction , turning around , running to instead of from {repenting} God the condition of this world can only get worse . If you live in a chook house and you eat chook food that doesn't make you a chook . If you convince yourself that you are a chook I am sorry but that still doesn"t qualify you as the only thing that qualifys you is if you are born of the chook species. So knowledge will not change the situation , Domination only changes the situation while the pressure is on . The only real change comes with a change of heart which is impossible for man BUT thanks be to God nothing is impossible for him . The result or effect is not the problem and without short circuting the problem continues
Posted by Richie 10, Friday, 31 October 2008 6:09:27 AM
Nicky, I can't think of anything else to add, other than that I agree with you all the way.

Cheers
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 31 October 2008 6:47:41 AM
Deary me, our same old animal liberationist, who thinks we should
not be farming livestock in the first place, repeats the same
old mantras, like a broken record, again and again. We have
been through these things point for point. You have been proven
wrong point for point.

Nicky, its time that you put up or shut up. If you want animals
slaughtered in Australia, so buy them and slaughter them in
Australia. They are for sale to you or anyone else.

Fact is that this year's Hajj lambs to Saudi did not even come
from Australia, but from Somalia, as they were cheaper.

Sending thousands of West Australian farmers broke, because you
have some wierd notion of "sending messages", is just not an
option.

Fact is, if you want to address animal welfare in the ME, then work
in the ME and address it. Farmers are the only ones spending their
levies on improving animal welfare in the ME, ie they are actually
doing something. You OTOH and doing little but sitting by
your computer, trying to play politics. If it sends thousands
of farmers broke, well that is just too bad, in your opinion.

Sorry dear, its not going to work.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 31 October 2008 9:41:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 27
  8. 28
  9. 29
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy