The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Macolm Turnbull

Macolm Turnbull

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
Malcolm Turnbull is the new Liberal Party leader. I've just come from being one of a panel on Australia Talks http://www.abc.net.au/rn/australiatalks/ which discussed his rise.

One thing that struck me was how Malcolm Turnbull's elevation seemed to have energised the small "l" Liberals who were ringing in as well as saying they were rejoining the Liberal Party.

The other thing was that Turnbull was associated in the conversation with issues that would be unlikely to move a single vote - mostly the Republic and the environment.

There seemed to be a lot of affection for his character.

Wondered how the inhabitants of On Line Opinion felt about him. (I'll do a survey tomorrow too I think).
Posted by GrahamY, Tuesday, 16 September 2008 8:01:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Unlike Kevin Rudd,Malcolm won't have to form a committee to make a decision.As Malcolm said today,Kevin tried to deflect attention from the most important issue ie the collapse of the Lehman Bros Investment Bank,by raising the issue of the republic.This was really pathetic on Kevin's behalf.

Malcolm is a doubled edged sword,he has not been in the party long enough to understand it's culture.He has to bring the party with him whilst still not suffering fools who want to please everyone.

As he indicated in the Kerry O'Brien interview tonight,wisdom is a blessing that comes with age and experience,and it seems Malcolm is still willing to learn.

Aussies like strength with humility,and Malcolm on his journey to power,may well surprise even his harshest critics.

Peter Costello on the other hand still seems to be hedging his bets remaining on the back benches perhaps waiting for Malcolm to fail at the next election.Costello disappoints me,he has the ability yet does not seize the moment.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 16 September 2008 8:37:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gosh, I posted this last September! I near fell off my chair when I re-read it: its almost as if I saw this question coming.

Nothing has changed my view.

I can only note the similarities with Morris Iemma, and recent events in NSW.

See: http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=6424#94783
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Tuesday, 16 September 2008 9:18:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Funny, Graham - when Costello (mostly) ruled himself out the other day I predicted to my partner that Turnbull would assume leadership today. We discussed the possibility that it would be more prudent for him to wait a while, but we ultimately agreed that he wouldn't be able to resist having a go.

As it happened, EMO Brendan handed it to him on a platter, thus committing political suicide.

I didn't listen to 'Australia Talks' tonight for a change, but it wouldn't be at all surprising that the "small l" Libs would find him attractive. Further, I think that he could well retrieve much of the Centre Right vote that went to Labor at the last Federal election.

I think that the ALP's in a bit of trouble - there seems to be a momentum building at State level to oust Labor governments that are increasingly moribund or otherwise on the nose, and some strong Conservative leadership such as Turnbull might provide could well be a catalyst in the State branches.

Of course, as a Green I find this moderately depressing - but it's not as if Rudd has been very effective thus far in actually achieving anything substantial in terms of the environment and social justice, notwithstanding some nice symbolic acts early in his tenure.

Australian politics are about to become quite interesting again, I reckon.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 16 September 2008 9:50:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Graham,

When Malcolm Turnbull first appeared on the
scene with his Republic initiative it was obvious
that he was on a fast track towards the top job.

And now it is only a matter of time before he
achieves it.

The only obstacle still in question is Peter
Costello, despite his denials.

But Turnbull is determined, and will undoubtedly
outlast all obstacles.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 16 September 2008 9:57:42 PM
People like him which always helps.

If anybody wasn`t worried about Rudds leadership before then they had a wake up call yesterday in Parliment.

Fancy putting a replublic before the economy. I can see why Rudd said that. He has a one track mind trying to impress a certain group of voters. Rudd had strong support from the migrant vote.

Possibly the only ones who are still happy with Rudd are those he 'promised' more migrants to and easier entery into Australia.

The story on TV last night about the Muslim with seven kids that all live off welfare - while plotting against us is going to become a politcal issue between the two parties.

I think Malcom will pick up on the public outrage of this alone.
( Remember how they won the last elections)
Australians wont put up with that no matter who Kevin 07 promised to get votes.

Malcom has learned a thing or two from Howard who had the knack of tapping into the publics feelings.

I think the Libs will unseat ALP at the next elections.

I see Macolm Turnbull as our next PM.
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Wednesday, 17 September 2008 3:26:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy