The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Another downward step....

Another downward step....

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Boaz, I think now would be a good time to share a little experience of my own.

I once came across this ridiculous website - www.conservapedia.com

It's essentially, just like wikipedia, but for stupid people who can't handle hearing the other side of the story. They consider wikipedia to have a 'liberal bias' even though it's created from contributions from all over the world, and accepts both sides of a controversial issue.

Now, conservapedia on the other hand, selectively chooses what material it selects, so it has a conservative-only approach. It even considers British and Australian spelling of words such as 'colour' (as opposed to the American 'color) to be a liberal bias.

Now, I must confess to a little mischief here - nothing that wasn't in the name of informing the public.
The entry on chastity and chastity pledges makes no mention of the fact that teenagers who have made these pledges do have higher rates of pregnancy and STDs than those who do not.

This is largely caused by the inadequate sex-ed they receive, the fact they can't use condoms and the other forms of intercourse they partake in, without protection.

I made an entry to this end on the chastity pledge - I cited a medical journal, a medical conference, three news articles and some official statistics. If need be, I could probably dig most of them up.

Of course, conservapedia had my additions removed within a matter of hours without explanation.

I guess it just didn't jibe with they way they like to pretend the world must be like.

For some reason, you remind me a little of conservapedia, boaz. Your Christian shang-ri-la sounds rather pleasant, but ignores the hidden ugly side.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 21 May 2008 7:26:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanx TRTL....that was a reasonable post in spite of the "mischief."

I think any 'limiting' of information is dangerous. At Bible College, we studied the most rampant LIBERAL theologians as well as the conservatives. (Liberal as in.. Rudolph Bultman, Bauer and others, who re-interpret the whole bible in terms of a "documentary hypothesis" and 'demythologize' the Miraculous.

What I found, was that the holes in their theories were quite apparent, and the influence of their presuppositions determined their conclusions so transparently they were not the slightest threat as far as I was concerned.

The big picture is the important one. I fully realize that we cannot suddenly legislate everyone into becoming goody 2 shoes's.
The main point I'm making here, is that of gradual deline in society, and in a sense I'm 'preaching', because I'm highlighting the 'symptom' of a disease called 'sin' for which the cure is repentance and forgiveness and a living relationship of forgiveness and renewal with the risen Christ Jesus.

regards
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 22 May 2008 9:21:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BOAZ,

TUS.. aah.. you READ my posts :) happy day!

Why wouldn't I? What ever the topic, there is always a chance of hearing about some erotic scenario you have found yourself in. I know you try to make them tittilating for us. There always seems to be some kind of awkward sexual situation you find yourself in. It makes me think about joining the church you know. It all sounds very exciting. Wandering around the house at night, in search of the 'loo', and finding threesomes and brushing past strange women in your underwear. I think if that's what christianity is all about, I want to be part of it. I'm there with BELLS on!
Posted by Usual Suspect, Thursday, 22 May 2008 3:00:56 PM
AAAAH TUS :) The thing is mate.. I live in the real world :)

I had this 'vision' this morning.. an approach to evangelism. I might try it..

SIGN..

"GET RICH QUICK"... believe in Jesus"

When I bounced that of an elder here... he suggested one minor addition:

"GET 'RICH' QUICK"... believe in Jesus"

Did you see it?

Of course, the person with the public display/sign, will have nothing more than a little card with youtube search key words on it, leading to a video which explains the truth of the matter.

1/ True Riches, are of the heart, not the bank balance.
2/ There is a practical possibility of 'worldly' wealth though as a result of repentance and committment to Christ.....

If for example one was a '1 packet a day' smoker.. and also had a 6 pack of stubbies each day of a weekend.. then true repentance would provide an instant pay rise to the value of those debilitating habits....which one left behind.

BINGO.. you can suddenly afford a new car :)

The greatest 'riches' one can experience in life, is that of a genuine, heartfelt love from others, and for whom you can also give that same love.
The capacity for the deepest level of that, comes only from being one with Christ, His Spirit in us, and us in His will.

"I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly" said Jesus.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 25 May 2008 9:14:50 PM
Phew, that was a close call.

>>If for example one was a '1 packet a day' smoker.. and also had a 6 pack of stubbies each day of a weekend.. then true repentance would provide an instant pay rise to the value of those debilitating habits....which one left behind.<<

I'm not entirely sure how I managed it, but I gave up booze and cigs without any religious conversion being necessary.

I think this is where your logic collapses every time, Boaz.

People can be good, virtuous, law-abiding, caring, sharing, thoughtful, egalitarian, loving human beings, capable of choosing to do right by their neighbour and at the same time show that they are in total control of their lives, without the slightest vestige of belief in a higher authority dictating their actions.

Well, ok, it was just the cigs...
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 26 May 2008 9:49:43 AM
David,

as a "man of jesus" you must luv all god's creatures? yes?

well they are bonk happy, have been for billions of years [or they wouldn't be here]

I know of no animals who find "guilt" in sex as do christians and some others of human race, but they DO take it seriously because survival of the fittest is what got em here.

So they have enormous PHYSICAL barriers to sex like fights to the death etc, but AFAIK it is only [some] humans that seek to impose PSYCHOLOGICAL barries on themselves AND OTHERS about sex

In fact eg yourself/the Spanish Inquisition etc such people become TOTALLY OBSESSED with the sex OTHERS are having or not having

really makes you wonder when it is suggested we are more intelligent than animals just we can make computers etc
Posted by Divorce Doctor, Monday, 26 May 2008 2:46:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy