The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Obama, Wright and the BlackPower movement.

Obama, Wright and the BlackPower movement.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Dear friends, and fellow posters.
We have been hearing a lot about Obama's connection to "Rev" Jeremiah Wright and the latters rather radical ideas.
In order to posture himself as a "person for all", Obama has been distancing himself from Wright.

On Hannity and Colmes recently, Sean Hannity interviewed Wright, and was told "Have you read the books of James H Cone? If not, you cannot understand me"

So this leads to Cone.

http://www.answers.com/topic/james-cone

<<The first major attempt to integrate Black Power with theology was James Cone's book Black Theology and Black Power (1969). Here Cone developed the thesis that Black Power is "Christ's central message to twentieth century America," that Black Power means "complete emancipation of Black people from white oppression by whatever means Black people deem necessary,">>

Keeping in mind that this book on BlackPower and Theology was written in 1969, it's surprising to see just how volatile are his statements.

One major problem is his focus on 'color' and his connection of this to Theology.

For some insights and a passionate expose of the content of the BlackPower/Black Theology movement, please have a listen to this talk from Dr James White (interestingly ironic name) and see how Cone manipulates both the scriptures and philosophy in extremely racist terms.

http://www.aomin.org/podcasts/20080506fta.mp3

The point of bringing this for our discussion is that it shows how any 'liberation' movement contains a dominance theme rather than an equality theme.
Cone combats 'white' racism, with vehement 'black' racism. Rather than calling for 'justice and equality for all' he does more. He sees those values in 'Black' terms.... i.e.. racist terms.

As I try to emphathise with these thoughts and place myself in the shoes of a black person in the USA in the late 60s, I can see the legitimacy of the complaint in social terms, but cannot justify a solution in 'racial' terms, which is couched in violent and racist revolutionary rhetoric.
Does this have relevance for Australia's race relations?
If so... how?
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 12 May 2008 6:31:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear David,

You've lost me in this thread. I don't understand the point that you're trying to make here. What does Senator Barack Obama have to do with the Black Power movements of the 1960s?

And why are you connecting the Senator to his former pastor, Wright?

Wright's expressed views are entirely his own, and as Senator Obama has explained, they are not opinions he shares.

So what's your point?
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 12 May 2008 6:12:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Foxy.. don't worry :) this is not a 'get Obama' by association thread.. if not clear in the first post it would become so as it develops.

Obama is just the 'current affairs hook'.. i.e.. the media has made much of his connection with Wright, who bases his own teaching on Cone... personally, I don't see it as being anything other than a 'right wing plot' (some of our lefties should love that)

Some glimpses of Cone and Wright here.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-1X5sZ6Q4Fw&feature=related
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=JEMZHQsQJ6Y&feature=related

No..my point..is found in the last 2 lines of my first opening post.

Once we examine the teaching of Cone, it may be instructive about how racist liberation movements generally behave. This has significance for us. Having seen Gary Foley rant like an Adolph Hitler on speed at an IR rally...I feel it is in all our interests, indigenous and white to manage our reconciliation very carefully and monitor any hint of 'Cone-ism'

Unless one listens to the talk by Dr James 'White' :) you won't get the point there.. also, there is a good summary of Cone's beliefs in 'Answers.com' which fleshes out his meaning of 'black' and 'white'..and sounds a lot better than Dr White pitches it.

http://www.answers.com/topic/james-cone

(understandable, as Dr White was reading the book selectively to gain Cone's essential points)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 12 May 2008 6:43:29 PM
I agree with David here Foxy.Obama is equally white as he is black.Genetically he is 50% white.Michael Mansel who lives in Tassy Australia is about 90% white ,yet insists he is black to gain advantage.

Obama is using his perceived underclass as leverage to gain power.He is not going to Govern for all Americans.Obama will be the deathnel for the Democrats.His past statements will get McCain over the line.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 12 May 2008 10:14:51 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree totally with DAVID BOAZ! gee that hurt, no it did not truth can not be avoided, while Fox news is no recommendation.
Racism is always wrong but not just a white thing Obama however given a chance could be the best thing to happen to America.
His task is going to beat him in my view I still hope I am very wrong, have we considered the impacts of a Republican win?
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 13 May 2008 5:51:06 AM
Nothing to say, the cartoon below sums up this discussion thread perfectly.

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/nq/2008/nq080512.gif
Posted by Fractelle, Tuesday, 13 May 2008 10:02:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy