The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why are Animal Welfare groups branded as extremist by some?

Why are Animal Welfare groups branded as extremist by some?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
It seems that ,judging by debate on this forum in relation to animals..that farmers and any industry that makes its living from the sale and slaughter of animals for market, tries to discredit and undermine any group or organisation, that stands up for the right of animals.

Instead of recognising that there are precious few pple in the world who fight for any kind of deal for the health and welfare of animals and applaud and respect theyre efforts..they seem only concerned with tearing them apart.
Posted by taurus29, Sunday, 22 October 2006 7:20:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Taurus29
It is true there has been a lot of ill feeling between animal producers and some groups. Note I say animal producers because thats what we have more and more in Australia. There are may wonderful people who care about animal welfare that are mislead at times by some of the group leaders and this leads to misunderstandings right the way through. I am sure it would be fair to say that most fair minded members of the public would prefer animal were treated kindly from padock to plate. Where it all goes wrong is when you get the cruel intensive producer and the animals liberation type protesting.
The animal liberation do a fantasic job in 995 of their work. Where they really fall over is by protesting about people eating meat. This does more damage than any one thing. The public get annoyed for do not listen to their good message and the farmers then brand every animal welfare group as extream. There are groups that work well with lots of farmers but its getting harder each day. The Government play up the extreme people as we tend to call them to suite their own agenda and turn their backs on the truth of their message. The Government do not want to deal with the cruelty of farm yard animals. Its huge and I dont think they would have a clue where to start. The other thing is real farmers are too busy working their land to be bashing out insults to animal wefare groups .
Despite what you have heard lots of them still dont use the net.
Wouldnt have it on the place.
There are exceptions to that of course as the little farmer gets pushed out and the corps take over.
Mass producing animals in terible conditions can not be called farming. There is a name for it but its certainly not farming.
However to answer you question people in the meat industry be nature dont like animal welfare groups.
Posted by NedKelly, Monday, 23 October 2006 5:25:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you NedKelly for your very well worded and articulate post..as long as Ive been on these animal threads now..I think thats the 1st time Ive had it explained in a way that put it in context for me.

Yes the government is great at manipulating agendas to suit themselves but how frustrating for anyone working to give a better deal for animals to have to deal with all theses contradictions from so many different depts.

Its incredibly frustrating and counterproductive and gets in the way of better outcomes for farmers, producers and animals.
Posted by taurus29, Monday, 23 October 2006 9:51:07 AM
Here is a question for you all. Given there are limited resources in the world, should people give money to organizations that save children in Africa or organizations that are concerned with the quality of a chicken's life in Australia?
Posted by matt@righthinker.com, Monday, 23 October 2006 12:05:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Taurus... because they break the law... they invade private property, they misrepresent themselves and all manner of sculduggery.

This is not to suggest that they don't have in some cases a worthy cause. Personally, I don't worry about Chickens too much, they are a bunch of murdering thugs to their own. But pigs.. aah..they at least have a brain (that is functional) and the intensive pig farming/breeding methods based on the last cent of 'shareholder value' in large coroporate entities is disgusting.

Capitalist interests would tend to demonize anything they can find animal lib people doing if it effects their bottom line.
cheers.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 23 October 2006 1:30:28 PM
"Despite what you have heard lots of them still dont use the net.
Wouldnt have it on the place."

ROFL, I can't think of one efficient farmer in WA, who is not
on the net :) Its used for everything, from checking the weather,
banking, the latest info, you name it. Those comments might
apply to a few hillbilly farmers in Queensland perhaps :)

Most animal welfare groups are branded extremist, because most
of them are. The head of Peta for instance, told us on national
tv, that when she dies, she wants her meat cut up and barbecued.

But today we understand extremism in neuroscientific terms. Emotions
and thoughts compete in the human brain. Science for instance, is
about rational thoughts, evidence, all information is tentative
and open to question, minds are changed based on the prevailing
evidence, in other words its about reason and weighing up the
arguments. Emotions are more black and white, for me and against me.
Extremists generally prevail in wearing their so called hearts on
their sleeves, despite the evidence. Emotions overwhelm reason.

Thats why so many animal libber groups are totally unreasonable.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 23 October 2006 2:14:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy