The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > NSW Power Sell or not?

NSW Power Sell or not?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
belly: "2 interesting posts I agree with both, but nothing to do with the thread?
Truly nothing at all, the question is why has the NSW government made up its mind to sell the power generation?
And is it good for the state?"

I disagree that it was irrelevant. I made the point that large centralised power plants are dinosaurs that will become less useful over time. I don't know whether that is in the collective mind of the NSW Govt, but it should be. To answer the second question: yes, it is good for the State, because if the centralised infrastructure is retained it will become progressively less valuable as new technologies take over. Far better to sell it now and invest the money in those new technologies.
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 28 April 2008 6:15:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
EASY TIMES at least knows part of the story true that Carr was stopped by the party from selling.
And true that todays price is half what it was then.
Power controls development, it brings jobs to a state or takes them away.
It is ok to rant about rail services or any infrastructure but who pays?
And is there any evidence passenger rail in its current form will ever pay its way?
More Honesty I am afraid Stu, you have difficulty finding people to debate with you, seem blind to the fact I am both union and ALP.
But constantly place the blame for NSW s dreadful leadership on both.
If you said conservatives are the answer just maybe I could respect your views.
But you are on record here in this forum bagging them too!
It seems your well named but empty party The Australian Peoples Party, is the one.
Why then Stu did you stand as an independent?
Why the self assurance on a result of just under 2% of the vote?
If my party has an on the record rule saying we will not sell our power why sell?
If NSW is better for selling then sell, but convince me Stu use the forum to debate not insult.
It is my view without new leadership my party is handing this state to conservatives without doubt.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 28 April 2008 6:24:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If i was to insult you you would know.

No rants from here

The rail has been sold of and leased back, have a look at how bad it is

The electricity have a look at how bad privatisation is for victoria, loss of jobs, bad service

are these not things that you the unions should be fighting for the workers.

Now make up your mind belly you work for the workers or the alpp.

Everytime you speak about me you insult all those you apparently stand for.

As you see i keep fighting for the people where as you keep fighting for the alpp.

So who pays your wages.

There was a big write up in vic with the unions saying how bad the electricity privatisation is, so why dont you lot take notice.

Bag me as much as you like but when it comes to corruption and the Heiner affair nobody could even come close to the predators that the unions and alpp(alp) are.

Stuart Ulrich
Independent
A free voice
Posted by tapp, Monday, 28 April 2008 7:14:31 AM
Look just like the 2020 Summit, this thread is ignoring the
energy elephant in the corner.
We are on the cusp of an energy crisis and as well the Federal
Government is planning carbon taxes that will impact on power stations.

In those circumstances why would anyone risk billions.
There is just too much uncertainty for the state government to even
consider selling the stations. We just have no idea what impacts will
hit us in the future. We can guess, but we really do not know.

In the long run distributed generation may well be the answer but
it will be a long time coming. We will need full political control of
energy generation and distribution to cope with the powerdown that
will follow the start of oil depletion and the switching of the energy
load from oil to electricity.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 28 April 2008 1:05:46 PM
Geez Belly, your starting to sound like me.

This issue is surely a test of any remaining integrity for the NSW ALP. I don't think they have any left. Bell, I bailed out years ago, around the time Keating sold off the CBA.

I am yet to hear one argument for this sell off that has not been refuted by independent observers.

What a bunch of greedy, grasping, back-stabbing tossers this lot are.

Where is the statewide pole campaign by the ETU now? 'Your Rights at Work' indeed. Try telling that to the Singapore govt. or whoever.
Posted by palimpsest, Monday, 28 April 2008 8:01:25 PM
So where does that leave Rudd and his cronies.

Since they are backing the sale.

It seems Krudd needs the sale to fund his election promises.

Stuart Ulrich
Independent
Posted by tapp, Monday, 28 April 2008 8:12:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy