The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > NSW Power Sell or not?

NSW Power Sell or not?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Power generation should, IMO, be as widely distributed as possible. The days of large generators sending power thousands of kilometers with the concomitant inefficiencies should be well and truly numbered.

I am currently working on a gasification plant for my business's waste stream, which will generate considerably more power than I can use. That power will be fed back to the grid and I'll be paid for it. The same could be done by any business that has a waste stream with a high organic (containing carbon) content. The initial cost is not high and it doesn't require a lot of space, nor does it need to be either noisy or smelly.

In view of the changing technology, I'd just as soon see the large "dinosaur" power plants sold off and the money used to fund further development of alternatives. Sadly, of course, they'll be sold and the money used for some stupid purpose like pursuing those "potential mass murderers" (LMAO) with laser pointers. Shame.
Posted by Antiseptic, Sunday, 27 April 2008 7:09:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Excellent work, Antiseptic.

Demonstrating that sustainable energy can be affordable and practicable.

Part of the problem is that our leaders in government and industry as still in thrall to monopolies.

Selling NSW Power will not help - a change in attitude and behaviour will.
Posted by Fractelle, Sunday, 27 April 2008 10:20:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
2 interesting posts I agree with both, but nothing to do with the thread?
Truly nothing at all, the question is why has the NSW government made up its mind to sell the power generation?
And is it good for the state?
Why say the party's long standing on record policy not to do so is to be ignored?
The thread even asks would we be better or worse of?
But without doubt we do need new ideas for power generation and smaller plants even running on other fuels may be the part answer.
Be concerned if you thought you elected an ALP government in this state.
It is not so now, overturning party policy's threatening members who oppose this, and the lie yes lie that power black outs are coming without privatization.
Every now and again we need to think about our party's direction, mine is no longer the one we elected just a while ago, new leadership is called for and some honesty.
If we are to sell power to get infrastructure so Morris can get re elected we need not bother he is gone.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 27 April 2008 1:50:09 PM
As belly keeps saying be concerned but what about rudd backing the sale.

This is something that these people keep forgeting to say.

So why is rudd and his lackeys backing the sale of state assets.

Why is it the unions keep hiding and just keep ging on about NSW labor, they should also focus on federal labor as well.

Stuart Ulrich
Independent
Posted by tapp, Sunday, 27 April 2008 2:56:06 PM
SELL SELL SELL. It should have been sold years ago when the assets were worth twice as much as they were today. Today they are worth about 15-17 bill but back in the days of bob bloody carr they were worth about 30 bill and I still remember the labour party crusading against selling them. Why the sudden change of heart from labour? Wait for the price to halve and then sell?

Instead of putting the money towards power stations it could be better spent on building and improving Sydney and the rest of the states infrastructure. For starters they could improve the rail network by not only expanding but also increasing the amount of services.

A second airport would also be a good idea and even a fast train link to a satellite city so as to reduce the upward pressure on house prices.

There is plenty of competition in the power sector (I think we already buy a lot of power from Victoria) and if prices go up it will most likely be because of raw material cost then anything else
Posted by EasyTimes, Sunday, 27 April 2008 8:36:31 PM
Well the states rail network , thats a joke.

Didnt you know it was sold of and the state just leases the trains, engines and carraiges.

No wonder it has gone down hill and costing us 10 times as much, but hey labor has to look after their mates.

Stuart ulrich
Independent
Posted by tapp, Sunday, 27 April 2008 9:26:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy