The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > meat prices and value for money

meat prices and value for money

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 47
  8. 48
  9. 49
  10. All
So what do people look for when buying meat.

Is it price, quality, value for money, service or convenience.

It is obvious there are many regulars on this site and I would realy like to know what makes you decide when and where to buy your fresh meats.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 5 March 2008 6:44:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I try to buy organic meat whenever possible and will pay more for this option. We are lucky that there is an organic butchers shop here which also provides 'real' free range eggs and other products.

Woolworths and Coles occasionally stock organic but it is not as reliable supply wise but I will buy it from them, usually on the spur of the moment, if it is available.

Service is important - happy to pay more to help an independent butcher over a large supermarket if I can. It is a nice feeling when you can establish a good relationship with the butcher or indeed any small business owner.

This option is not for everyone because of cost, pensioners could not afford it mores the pity. We are not rich but comfortable and we choose to eat less meat but pay more for the meat we do consume.

My grandfather was a butcher. :)
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 5 March 2008 11:24:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*It is a nice feeling when you can establish a good relationship with the butcher or indeed any small business owner.*

Sounds like it pays butchers to sweettalk the females :) Sorry,
but I buy my meat from Coles. Their meat is better then the local
butcher, who is stuck with the meatworks he has for logistics
reasons. I can then pick out what I want from there, unlike at
the butchers.

Lamb is my own, the best of the lot. The more we get away from
wool breeds, the better they taste.

As to organics, I don't have Pelican's faith nor belief.

I once followed a discussion involving some US organic farmers,
where they feed alot of grains etc. As organic grains are hard
to find and expensive, they were feeding their livestock "certified
Chinese organic soy meal" Hey, believe whatever you will lol,
I'll prefer to stick to Aussie free range, where they eat mainly
grass and clover.
Posted by Yabby, Wednesday, 5 March 2008 8:21:54 PM
But thats getting harder and harder to buy especially for those not so wealthy.
Even the average family now cant afford the prices that go up and up because its so hard to get while we Australian Compete because of the cruel live export trade.
Today we compete for our food with the whole world not only meat but in everything.
I fear if the cruel live trade isnt stopped Australian familes will only have memories of putting meat on the table:)
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Thursday, 6 March 2008 1:26:51 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ha ha Yabby, I don't think I am in the right age group to be sweet talked, my hubby does that. :)

I do agree with you on organics (don't faint) to some extent that we cannot always trust the supplier. It has become a bit of an industry in itself and you have to do your own research. The butcher we use gets his meat from up north from a producer who does not feedlot and his cattle are grassfed.

The problem with organics is also the supply - not always the choice available. There is a good argument for stronger controls in regards to certification. I also stress that organic should also mean cruelty free and there are a growing number of these outlets now either online or retail but alas not in the smaller cities. Of course, you cannot not buy meat online (that I know of).
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 6 March 2008 9:44:13 AM
*I fear if the cruel live trade isnt stopped Australian familes will only have memories of putting meat on the table:)*

At least even you Gertrude, can see the funny side of that, ie it
not being true. Our charming meat processors in WA pay 90c a kg
or thereabouts for mutton. They have a captive market and they
know it.

Meat in Australia is extremely cheap. Many cuts are far cheaper
then many fruits or veggies.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 6 March 2008 10:03:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 47
  8. 48
  9. 49
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy