The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Accountability in Government?

Accountability in Government?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. 21
  11. All
Jolanda

Sorry cleary I meant Annoyed Parent.
I am also familar with Jolandas matter. I probably would not have made comment had I not seen your post refering to aboriginal children. It caught me eye.
There are many things that happen in our lives and not all of them will be fair or just.
However I cant help but try to remind people that the poor aboriginal children are the ones really suffering. With this new Government not all things are bad.
Kevin Rudd 'much to my surprise 'is running a very open Government.
( apart from certain trade issues)

That said Kevin Rudd is very interested in Schools and education and his staff in that area seem to be making a fantasic effort.

While I understand most schools come under their State Governments
people have been invited to contact the Rudd Government with any claims of Government misadventure.etc.

I was just curious if you like concerned parent about your comment.
After having said that i must admit to not reading all of Jolandas comment this time after reading a huge amount of her material I the past.
So possibly your question is a cross reference to something stated there.
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Friday, 22 February 2008 10:30:31 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry, I misread your opening statement. I thought you were appealing to OLD contributors.

Being old, I remember a system of Government called the Westminster system. Compared with this load of spin doctoring that we now elect, it was a very satisfactory system of Government.

Good luck with your cause.
Posted by phoenix94, Friday, 22 February 2008 11:12:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't know much about this issue Jolanda and I can see you feel very strongly about your experience with DET.

I would say one thing from personal experience, don't let this situation consume your life. It is easy to become totally absorbed when you believe a great wrong has been done and while you are fighting the powers that be, your life and that of your family still continues.

Sometimes it is better to let go and accept that sometimes people get away with doing the wrong thing and that not everything can be fixed as infuriating as it might be. Peace of mind sometimes means letting go.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, my comments comes from personal experience as an employee in a government department and speaking out about some of the activities. With the benefit of hindsight I would not recommend whistleblowing to anyone. The government is a strange beast and in the face of scrutiny sometimes all it does is close the ranks. I understand all about FOI and in my case there was a small win, so I am not saying that integrity always loses out to the machinery of government merely to say to weigh up the costs.

Yours in empathy.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 22 February 2008 1:57:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jolanda, I just had a look at your website and must say I found it very confusing. I couldn't tell what the actual offenses against your children have been. Or are you keeping them confidential for a reason? If not, can I ask, what actually happened?
Posted by Vanilla, Friday, 22 February 2008 2:16:49 PM
jolanda, there is no oversight of government in oz, but the ombudsman office is supposed to make sure people are not victimized by the personal spite of whatever agency you fall afoul of. it can't do anything about the government itself.

bad luck if you have managed to antagonize two agencies. but cj is right to suggest maybe the fault is your own. even if not, there is not much you can do.

in my experience, the best plan is to visit the office of your local mp, present your case, and get a written report detailing why you should not be given any assistance. then publish that report on the web. add your side of the story in a separate document. perhaps the public will see that you are being done over. this kind of publicity is very unwelcome to politicians.

or maybe the response will be: "serves her right!" either way, that's all you can do.
Posted by DEMOS, Friday, 22 February 2008 3:21:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Right or wrong you're fighting for your children.
I can live with that!
Great believer in going public and fighting for the accused right of reply.
Posted by Only Human, Friday, 22 February 2008 5:10:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. 21
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy