The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Accountability in Government?

Accountability in Government?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. 21
  10. All
I would like to ask the opinion of fellow OLO readers.

I recently made formal allegations against the Ombudsman of a conspiracy to cover up allegations of bias, victimisation, neglect and corruption aimed at children. The cover up is in relation to formal allegations that my family has made against the Department of Education.

I sent a copy of a letter to the Premier Mr. Morris Iemma and asked for his assistance with regard to holding the Ombudsman’s office to account. I received, in part, this reply signed by Leigh Sanderson for Robyn Kruk – Director General..

"The Ombudsman is an independent office created by statute and is responsible directly to Parliament. Accordingly, the Government cannot, and should not attempt to, direct the Ombudsman in the exercise of the Ombudsman's functions.

The Ombudsman is overseen by a Joint Parliamentary Committee, which monitors and reviews the exercise of the Ombudsman’s functions. I note that you have already raised your concerns regarding the Ombudsman’s office with the Joint Parliamentary Committee on the Office of the Ombudsman and Police Integrity Commission.

In the circumstances, the Department can be of no further assistance to you.

The first paragraph really confused me. I thought that the Government was Parliament?

The second paragraph was a concern because I can’t help but wonder whether the Premier knows that the Office of the Ombudsman and Police Integrity Commission are informing people that they do not have the power to question the Ombudsman or to look at any investigations or complaint handling issues from his office and that under the Ombudsman’s Act Section 31B(2) they are prohibited from asking questions about ‘particular conduct’.

I just find this bizarre. Who is keeping the Ombudsman honest? Does anybody know?

Oh and I don't know what assistance the Department of the Premier actually thought that they have given me?

Education - Keeping them Honest
http://jolandachallita.typepad.com/education/
Our children deserve better
Posted by Jolanda, Thursday, 21 February 2008 11:43:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jolanda I am aware of your case I have more than once visited your web page and watched with interest your posts here.
However[ I have zero reason to support my states leader] he is right.
That office was set up to be a watch dog on governments, interference by government would be seen as just that.
No easy task you set your self, any of us who challenge government or its children such as the education department are fighting against a great tide of whitewash.
I did and I lost, well maybe the fight continues.
The shambolic nature of the current NSW government sees more effort on white wash application than honest outcomes.
More strength to you but your best efforts should be in getting the-other side of politics and the Medea involved.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 22 February 2008 5:54:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Belly, problem is that if the Ombudsman was set up to be a watchdog on Governments and those in the Joint Parliamentary Committee are Ministers and these Ministers are prohibited by Legislation from asking any questions with regard to misconduct and corruption then what is the point of having them? All they do is work as another level of cover up as people believe that if you had evidence then something would be done. People don't realise that nobody is allowed to challenge public servants. The only role of complaint handling is to obtain a response. The response can contact lies and misrepresentations and it will not be challenged, it will be accepted on face value and your matter closed. Complaint handling never looks at the evidence. This is why there are never any investigations only inquries. Even if you look at the Ombudsman’s report you will see that they pretty much investigated nothing. They do not want to know the truth. They just want to present the picture that they want to present.

Criminals have full protection of the law whilst law-abiding citizens get shafted.

The DET targeted all my children, not just one. The persons responsible were permitted to continue targeting my children so that we would present distressed and that I would have numerous issues to deal with and that I would become confused. I have no doubt that their hope was that I would turn to alcohol or drugs and/or lose my mind so that they could discredit me further. Just like what happened with the Aboriginal people.

The media know, for some reason they don't want to go there. Not too many people care about the children they prefer to protect the adults. The other side of politics (Education) said that they didn't have the power/resources or funding to investigate individual complaints and Mr. B. Nelson said that the issues we raised were too complex for him and so he couldn't help us.

They must know by now that I will fight this to the bitter end. Nobody should be allowed to mistreat children.
Posted by Jolanda, Friday, 22 February 2008 6:53:40 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jolanda, I am sure that you believe that the DET have mistreated your children. What I am curious about is

1. Do you believe that the DET organised for children at your childs school to make up allegations and do you belive that they also asked teachers to go along with these alegation as to discredit your child and your family. (the situation where your son was not at school on the day that the school alledged that the incident occured)

2 Do you think that it is fair and right that you include the Aborignial people as a comparision to you and your children.
Posted by Annoyed Parent, Friday, 22 February 2008 7:58:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
jolanda
What do you mean by 2- could you please explain?=
2 Do you think that it is fair and right that you include the Aborignial people as a comparision to you and your children.
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Friday, 22 February 2008 8:32:47 AM
Jolanda: "I thought that the Government was Parliament"

No. Parliament is comprised of the Government and the Opposition. The Joint Parliamentary Committee includes members from both the Government and Opposition.

If your complaints to the Joint Parliamentary Committee had any substance, I'm quite sure the Opposition members of the Committee would have pursued them in order to embarrass the Government.

While there's no doubt that you feel aggrieved, has it occurred to you that you might be wrong?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 22 February 2008 9:32:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. 21
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy