The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Halal Slaughter In Australia Who Is right- Have your Say

Halal Slaughter In Australia Who Is right- Have your Say

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
We invite you to post your thoughts on Islamic Slaughter in Australia.
The Federal Government are to consider a request From Muslims not to pre stun Animals. A method that has previously been illegal on humane grounds.

Peter Singer (b. 1946) in his classic work Animal Liberation commented: “Slaughter according to a religious ritual need not comply with the provision that the animal be stunned before being killed. At the time this method of slaughter was laid in Jewish law.
RSPCA Also have guidelines under Animal Welfare Laws and have in the past demaned Animals are pre stun either by way of abolt to the head torender the Animal unconsious or an electric stun gun to stun the Animal before its throat is cut.

I have copied some of those laws as follows.

The following:3.1.17.1 Restraint of individual animal prior to
stunningHead restraint is necessary for adult cattle as failure to
restrain the animal’s head may lead to imprecise percussive stunning,and that the knocking box design should facilitate animal restraint to minimise movement to assist in accurate placement of stunning equipment.Specific head restraint is not required for pigs,sheep and calves provided body restraint is satisfactory.3.1.17.2 Efficiency of stunning equipment and monitoring of efficiency on a regular basisaTo ensure effective stunning,electric stunning

The question is who is right and who is wrong and is this a move to improve Animal Welfare or put other issues before animal welfare.

Also are People entiled to know what they are eating by food outlets displaying either Halal Or Australian Slaughter methods on public display
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Thursday, 10 January 2008 3:18:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
shouldn't that be 'halal/kosher'?

has anyone asked the cows?
Posted by DEMOS, Friday, 11 January 2008 7:39:01 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PeopleAgainst ... said Slaughter according to a religious ritual need not comply with the provision that the animal be stunned before being killed. At the time this method of slaughter was laid in Jewish law.

Peter Singer is seen as very extreme in his views.

I dont care what Jewish law says, this is Australia and they need to respect our laws.

What right do they have to put their rutuals before animal welfare?? Makes me boil!
Posted by I_Spy, Friday, 11 January 2008 9:38:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The whole concept of cutting an animals throat to facilitate it`s bleeding (to death) whilst the animal is still conscious and aware, is totally abhorrant to any reasonable thinking and feeling human being!

The hard cold fact that animals have to be slaughtered at all for food by neccesity is hard enough to deal with, but the Halal requirement is sheer bloody mindedness.

Religion in all its forms has a lot to answer for in this modern world. I remember not too long ago a Christian Archbishop state that "animals had no spirituality!"......what a load of rubbish! ...if an animal has a brain and a heart it has spirituality!
It is amazing what some of these many religous zealots will say to support their own cause!

As far as I am concerned Halal slaughter should be banned here in Australia and if the "true believers" want to participate in this animal brutality, let them go back and do it in their own country, where the stoning to death of women that have been raped is "acceptable" and "justifiable"....according to their religion!
Posted by Cuphandle, Friday, 11 January 2008 9:44:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I_Spy

“Peter Singer is seen as very extreme in his views.”

What exactly do you mean by Peter Singer being extreme in his views and what are those extreme views to which you refer?

David
Posted by Atheist Foundation of Australia Inc, Friday, 11 January 2008 9:45:54 AM
Hello Everyone. I am placing link which was provided by another poster Yabby on different thread.

Thank You Yabby.

It is the amazing work of Dr Temple Grandin`s Her book was a best seller in USA. The lifes story of this truely amazing women is worth a read even if you ae not particially interested in Animal Welfare.

http://www.grandin.com/index.html

DEMOS

Well not really because Kosher was stopped on cruelty grounds some time ago.

After saying reports say Kosher was is still happening.

Its been a grey area for some time now which led me to speak with a AQIS inspector around a year ago. He said it had been stopped and was only ever allowed if it was by a "special order."
Please excuse me while I cough.

There was a great deal of work done to highlight the cruelty by people working hard to stop barbaric treatment of horses at plants that would go into more detail[ space allowing]]

Without Pre Stunning DEMOS
Animal suffering are commonly dismissed as "just twitching nerves" despite veterinary research which shows sheep remain conscious of the pain for 30-40 secondsatleast but some say more. Far more.

For cattle, it's much longer due to a secondary blood supply to the brain that prolongs the suffering.

Knife-only killings are still accepted as normal practice throughout the Middle East and in parts of Africa and Asia.

Australian has had strict guidelines for local abattoirs which must use captive-bolt stun guns even for kosher and halal prepared meat, [yet the Commonwealth allows livestock to be subjected to butchery methods overseas that would never be tolerated at home.]
Getting back on track= There is a real threat the Rudd Governmentis about to approve Australia being turned into A Riutual Slaughter country similar to the middle East.

" Past Muslim leaders spoke out to ensure Government that most Muslims except Pre Stunning in Halal Abattoirs Here."

So Have we got it Wrong? Should we allow this? Do you prefer the evidence and advise of our vets which RSPCA have always stood by or perhaps we have all been wrong.?
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Friday, 11 January 2008 10:02:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy