The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Refugee Issues

Refugee Issues

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. 15
  13. All
FRank...I tend to agree on most of that... good points well made.

Regarding the singling out of a race.. yep.. as I said.....My gut feeling is that because:

They are
-Black
-Highly visible
-In the news (Keysborough .. 700 Sudanese in a riot over a girl)
-Are very noticable when in a group.

They are a convenient 'target' for re-election prospects.

If the PM was serious about 'problem ethnics' of any description..and surely we all know who are the more problematic groups by now... they would have embarked on some serious RE-SETTLEMENT arrangements which specifically prevent 'ghettos'

The first prize for 'spin' has to goto the Sudanese bloke who said "We hang around together because we are friends...not a gang"

The very fact that they hang around in 'ethnic' groups... with 'ethnic' friends.. simply confirms the charge that they are as racist as anyone else. Limiting your 'friends' to those of your own ethnic group is the very heart of racism and the source of race related problems in community.

CONSLUSION.. until the Government (of any flavor) learns how to implement policies which specifically address this.. we are doomed to the ongoing cycle of these problems, the polarization of the community and the political capital being made out of them.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 5 October 2007 2:26:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Right, Boaz. So when I see a members of a church hanging out together, I can dismiss them as a 'gang?'

Presumably their protestations that "we hang out together because we're friends" aren't to believed.

Good to know.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 5 October 2007 2:45:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's a bit cheeky to berate others for "spin", Boaz.

<<In the news (Keysborough .. 700 Sudanese in a riot over a girl)<<

OK, here's a question for you.

How many Sudanese took part in the riot?

Now, how many did you manage to "suggest" took part in that riot, by using the words that you did?

Do you see the difference?

Nowhere, in any of the reports of that incident, was it even remotely suggested that "700" people were involved in a riot. And - even though I wasn't there either - it would be reasonably safe to conclude from the evidence...

- one person arrested, a teenager from Sunshine
- one person injured, a twenty-year-old from Mulgrave
- "a number of implements allegedly used as weapons" were collected by police

... that the only unusual aspect of the incident was the colour of the particpant's skin.

And you talk about "spin", Boaz?

If more than a dozen out of those seven hundred were involved, I would be surprised. That would certainly be a more consistent reading of the incident, unless the other six hundred were simply whacking each other with wet lettuce leaves.

Which, of itself, hardly qualifies as a riot" either, does it?

Incidentally, where did the girl come in? Wasn't mentioned in any of the reports that I read...

More embellishment, Boaz?

More "spin"?
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 5 October 2007 3:40:25 PM
Why cant the Sudanese people be resettled in a peaceful African state why must they come to the West. It doesnt make sense to me. Dont they like people in other African states. Why the hell do they have to come half way across the world to be resettled in Australia.

This kind of tribal warfare is always raging somewhere on the planet the only difference is that when I was growing up there was no TV or satellite television and we didnt feel compelled to race all over the world to try and stop it.

I said we'd solved nothing in Timor and we'd be back there and I was right.
The only reason things have settled in Bosnia is that a lot of the Ethnic cleansing was achieved before the United Nations finally intervened. If the numbers were to build up again on both sides then it would start all over again. Maybe this time the Croats would send in terrorist bombers against the Serbs, but one way or another the tribal warfare would break out again. Dont think the trial of Milosovich would stop it. Somalia and Rwanda the same.
One day maybe we'll learn when we've sent force after force to end these massacres and they still break out again and again that we need to have a rethink about how to really stop it if thats even possible.

War and ethnic cleansing isnt physcological its biological.
Posted by sharkfin, Saturday, 6 October 2007 2:31:35 AM
Pericles: "There seems to be a strong link between being a (professed) Christian, and being singularly uncharitable to fellow human beings.

Am I the only one to notice this?"

No. Certainly, the most vociferous 'Christians' who post in this forum seem to have some of the most misanthropic attitudes that I've encountered.

I've just spent a few days holidaying on the far north coast of NSW, where the community ethos seems to be the exact opposite of the sad and bitter xenophobia expressed by some in this forum. I was struck by how happy, diverse and friendly people are in that part of the country.

As my kids joined in with a veritable junior United Nations playing in the park across from the pub, I noticed a young coffee-coloured girl wearing a plain white t-shirt, upon which was emblazoned "MEAN PEOPLE SUCK".

Just about says it all, really. Why do so many "mean people" post on OLO, and why are so many of them 'Christians'?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 6 October 2007 8:03:27 AM
Irrespective of what the UN or 'global villiage' advocates say, the overwhelming responsibility of any Government should be for the well being of its citizens and to act to promote a cohesive society.

Therefore I agree that cultural incompatibility is reasonable grounds to refuse visas to certain groups of people. Those that are trying to claim it is racist are simply dog whistling and cannot sustain any credible argument against it.

There are other groups the incompatibility criteria should apply to also. For example the Croats and Serbs, the Sunni and Shia Iraqis. These groups hold their long held cultural hatreds above our laws and standards. The Lebanese Muslims have little or no respect for us or our laws or anyone else and further importation should stop. If there are identifiable groups that continually flaunt our laws by carrying out cockfighting ,FGM and arranged marriages, they should also be refused visas.

Rather than try to attack the Minister for racism, he should be asked why only reduce the intake from 70% to 30%. Why not stop the intake entirely from those countries that have shown incompatibliity? Maybe the 30% intake will be made up by those that have higher integration assesment.

It is noticeable that the Opposition has not bought into the debate and this is because the major parties have a pact not to debate immigration issues. This is abhorrent as these matters are very important and should be discussed openly.

Pauline Hanson has long critised the Government for allowing African refugees in without health screening and given the high incidence of exotic diseases in most African countries it is fair criticism. Before those that dismiss what Pauline has to say, it should be noted that Morris Lemma told the NSW Parliament that only 37% of the 4000 refugees coming into NSW in 2005 had been health screened.

Will the Minister garruntee that all immigrants/refugees will be subject to integration assesment and all will be health screened?
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 6 October 2007 10:23:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. 15