The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Retail rip off!

Retail rip off!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
I went into a supermarket the other day and saw an item. I wasn't sure if I was going to buy any and decided to get some the following day.

Anyway when I returned the price went up by a few dollars. I was appalled and disgusted. I mean I don't have a lot of choice with supermarkets as a few people dominate the marketplace and you are forced to pay whatever they set.

Don't get me going about chemists/pharmacies either. They are nothing more than a bunch of rip-off merchants cashing in on the sick. I can't believe I've had to pay hundreds of dollars for a few boxes of medicines. It's so appalling.

I have no choice here and I am sick and tired of the retail industry taking advantage of people. It's nothing more than a retail rip-off.

On the other hand, costs of running a business are going up. Do we need say a freeze on wages and other costs just to keep some costs down on businesses so increased costs aren't simply passed on to the consumer? I do think we need to make some tough decisions here if we want real outcomes.

Why can't I buy directly from the producer - why am I forced to go through a retailer? The whole system is a crooked one and needs a big shake up.

Am I alone here or do others feel the same?
Posted by NathanJ, Monday, 29 July 2024 5:59:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What was the item that went up “several dollars” the next day? What sort of foodstuff in a supermarket suddenly goes up by “several dollars” overnight?

And, “hundreds of dollars for a few boxes of medicines”.

His much medicine? Over what period?

I think this is another one of your fairy tales.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 29 July 2024 7:50:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Nathan,

«Why can't I buy directly from the producer - why am I forced to go through a retailer?»

Yes, you ought to be able to buy directly from the producer.

Is there any legal prohibition against it?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 29 July 2024 10:37:01 PM
Of course you can buy from the producer. errrr, I wonder how nuch it
would cost for petrol to drive to his farm ?
Or it might be a product from a factory in Rockhampton, hmmmm.
You asked a really silly question.
Posted by Bezza, Monday, 29 July 2024 11:24:05 PM
Nathan, I bet you complain about your electricity bill ?
Next time you are in that supermarket go around and count the number
of refrigerated cabinets, then count the lights.
How would you like their power bill ?
Posted by Bezza, Monday, 29 July 2024 11:28:45 PM
Maybe we need a good old no frills option.
Bring back Franklins?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 29 July 2024 11:39:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy