The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Retail rip off!

Retail rip off!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. All
I went into a supermarket the other day and saw an item. I wasn't sure if I was going to buy any and decided to get some the following day.

Anyway when I returned the price went up by a few dollars. I was appalled and disgusted. I mean I don't have a lot of choice with supermarkets as a few people dominate the marketplace and you are forced to pay whatever they set.

Don't get me going about chemists/pharmacies either. They are nothing more than a bunch of rip-off merchants cashing in on the sick. I can't believe I've had to pay hundreds of dollars for a few boxes of medicines. It's so appalling.

I have no choice here and I am sick and tired of the retail industry taking advantage of people. It's nothing more than a retail rip-off.

On the other hand, costs of running a business are going up. Do we need say a freeze on wages and other costs just to keep some costs down on businesses so increased costs aren't simply passed on to the consumer? I do think we need to make some tough decisions here if we want real outcomes.

Why can't I buy directly from the producer - why am I forced to go through a retailer? The whole system is a crooked one and needs a big shake up.

Am I alone here or do others feel the same?
Posted by NathanJ, Monday, 29 July 2024 5:59:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What was the item that went up “several dollars” the next day? What sort of foodstuff in a supermarket suddenly goes up by “several dollars” overnight?

And, “hundreds of dollars for a few boxes of medicines”.

His much medicine? Over what period?

I think this is another one of your fairy tales.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 29 July 2024 7:50:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Nathan,

«Why can't I buy directly from the producer - why am I forced to go through a retailer?»

Yes, you ought to be able to buy directly from the producer.

Is there any legal prohibition against it?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 29 July 2024 10:37:01 PM
Of course you can buy from the producer. errrr, I wonder how nuch it
would cost for petrol to drive to his farm ?
Or it might be a product from a factory in Rockhampton, hmmmm.
You asked a really silly question.
Posted by Bezza, Monday, 29 July 2024 11:24:05 PM
Nathan, I bet you complain about your electricity bill ?
Next time you are in that supermarket go around and count the number
of refrigerated cabinets, then count the lights.
How would you like their power bill ?
Posted by Bezza, Monday, 29 July 2024 11:28:45 PM
Maybe we need a good old no frills option.
Bring back Franklins?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 29 July 2024 11:39:02 PM
In Cairns a rort developed over the past couple of years regarding courier services. businesses which previously delivered for a reasonable fee now have to use couriers with a standard $90 charge. Buy a tin of paint from a hardware store or a strip of aluminium for $25 & pay $ 90 to have it taken to another transport agent to take it to Mareeba/Atherton & there goes another $25-30.
Bunnings charged $50 last year, don't know how much it is now.
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 29 July 2024 11:58:44 PM
We are trying to start a "community garden" with the help of the local council. We have a site of private land which the council is hopefully able to purchase. Stage 1 a bloody big fence.

On the score of supermarkets; Involved in the 'SecondBite' program with Coles, and similar with Woolworths, Aldi have a program through Oz Harvest I believe. Estimated we receive $75k a year in usable product from the 'Big Two' and we are only a small charity, 22 volunteers, serving the local community only. Volunteers pick up from each supermarket 5 days a week, fruit & veg, bakery items, dairy, lots of stuff. Waste is huge, particularly items such as bread, we take about 20% only in that department, can't store it. A new thing with Coles sees their excess bread going to reprocessing as animal feed. Also receive donations of items from the supermarkets for "special occasions" like our Woolies only yesterday donated about $200 worth of soft-drinks etc off the shelf for our 'July Hot Lunch', for 90 or so, the local RSL donated the meal. There are a lot of businesses and organisations out there that do help people.

BTW There is a new breed of poor, call it the "wealthy poor", young families who have a big house and flash car etc, kids at school but can't pay the rent or mortgage, yep the wealthy poor they now exist.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 30 July 2024 3:53:07 AM
The fact remains: supermarkets operate on a profit of 2-3%. If I had money to invest it wouldn't go into a supermarket.

The big profits - 30% - 100% - are in the fashion industry and stuff that we don't actually need to survive.

We should be grateful that investors are willing to take such miserable profits so that we don't have to go back to hunting and gathering to survive; or slave away on a bit of ground to feed ourselves, as is still the case in many Third World countries,

Governments have tried, with obvious success among the non-thinking drones, to make enemies of supermarkets. That’s part of the typical totalitarianism that takes our minds of what the totalitarians themselves are up to.

Personally, I cannot say that I have been affected by the supposed increases in the cost of food. And, I couldn't comment on how other people manage unless I knew how well they managed their finances, what their priorities are, and if they BUDGET.

Without that knowledge, I remain convinced that the CPI hysteria is just another 'look-over-there' tactic of bad government trying to avert attention from their own rip-offs and corruption: such as mass immigration, the real cause of Australians becoming poorer than we should be.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 30 July 2024 8:39:51 AM
Hey Paul,
Whats the name of the church in Wynnum where you're at again?
I have a friend whose doing it tough atm and could genuinely use some help.
I know she's planning a run at the local charities.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 30 July 2024 8:43:03 AM
"Am I alone here or do others feel the same?"

No, you're not the only one. There are millions of people as economically illiterate as you.

I always like to remind people that the current inflationary uplift dates back to the lockdown mania where billions (yes B) of dollars were splashed around for people to do nothing. The country never recovered and still struggles to recover.

At the time of the lockdowns this was easily predicted. But the lockdowns continued and were enthusiastically supported by the majority of the population.

So if you supported the lockdowns or supported those who implemented the lockdowns, don't go looking for scapegoats for the current inflation - you're the cause.

And it ain't over yet -the nation will be paying for the lockdown lunacy for a generation. Economic suicide is always a choice.
Posted by mhaze, Tuesday, 30 July 2024 10:29:11 AM
Hi AC,

Its through the Anglican Church, have a look, you'll find it. BTW, Coles this morning, logged in 60kg F&V and 20kg bakery, no bread wanted today. Woolies soon. p/s Get a lot of eggs, with 1 broken in carton, get fresh milk just on used by date, The 'Old Man' always said these use by dates were a marketing ploy to get you to buy more, milk kept cold will generally go a week beyond UBD. Also Best Before Date, has up to 90 days on top for some items.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 30 July 2024 2:23:58 PM
Hi Paul,

Our Woolies has run out of eggs.

Which for me is a disaster as I do so much baking.

Hopefully, it will come good quickly.

I can't say that I've noticed a hick up in prices at
our Woolies. But then, I cook and freeze things ahead
for a few days. So I don't shop daily.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 30 July 2024 2:59:24 PM
Sorry - I should have said - a hyke up in prices.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 30 July 2024 3:06:57 PM
Or is it - hike?
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 30 July 2024 3:09:21 PM
Thanks for the info Paul, I'll pass it along.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 30 July 2024 3:49:36 PM
Hi Foxy,

Still getting a fair amount of eggs in broken cartons, we cut donated empty cartons in half and make up 6 packs, priority for eggs, fresh milk is families first, then others.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 30 July 2024 3:56:01 PM
<<There are millions of people as economically illiterate as you.>>

mhaze, you could actually focus on the issues at hand. For example with pharmacies consider the following.

The Australian Financial Review and also the ABC highlight issues with the Pharmacy Guild in Australia. They are a corrupt organisation. For me the guild has political parties wrapped around their tight little finger and cares not one iota about the general public. They are nothing more than a retail outlet. When you read what's involved you're appalled.

http://www.afr.com/policy/health-and-education/another-win-for-the-monopolists-20240225-p5f7o4

This article although from 2019 highlights "According to the Australian Electoral Commission, it (pharmacy guild) made more than $220,000 worth of donations in 2017-18 — including to both major parties."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-20/pharmacy-guild-lobby-wields-great-political-power/11217028

I wish the pharmacy guild were putting that money towards lower prices rather than trying to buy out political parties in terms of policy. It's all so shocking - and yet they are getting away with this type of activity. I've had to pay over $40 each for a number of my prescriptions.

In terms of food prices and items at supermarkets, the large stores are making a fortune, regardless of previous COVID-19 restrictions and let's not forget farmers paid a load of rubbish for their products by the supermarkets also.

http://www.9news.com.au/finance/supermarket-coles-woolworths-profits-consumer-expense-inflation-interest-rates/178f1e88-2206-40ac-b288-714342877d52

I'll continue my points to yourself and others in another post on this topic.
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 30 July 2024 7:36:20 PM
$220,000 worth of donations in 2017-18
Nathan J,
That's about the annual cost for a bureaucrat who really achieves nothing of benefit to society and, they'll never disclose how many of them they harbour !
Posted by Indyvidual, Tuesday, 30 July 2024 10:33:59 PM
The food item that shot up by "several dollars" overnight still remains unidentified.

The liars and bullsh-t artists don't even feel the need to defend their lies and bullsh-t these days; probably because your average knobhead doesn't ask questions,

Mhaze

Your reference to financial illiterates and just who is responsible for their "suffering" is appreciated.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 31 July 2024 11:44:44 AM
"mhaze, you could actually focus on the issues at hand."

The issue at hand is that inflation is NOT caused by the retailers. But economic illiterates see only the cost of the goods at the store and think the rises are caused by the actual store.

An RBA study last year found that the main cause for rises in prices in retail stores was rises in costs of the actual item followed by increases in wages, adverse exchange rate effects and interest costs. None of those are caused by retailers but they get the blame by those who don't understand how the system works.

According the the Bureau of Statistics the average EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes) for retail stores is 5.7%. That is, they make 5.7% profit on their sales from which they then have to pay their interest costs and taxes.

Comparatively pharmacies make an EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortisation) of 6.3%.

If you think that's a price gouging level of profit, then you're living in a fool's paradise. The fact is that, if these places were making super profits as you seem to think, then other people would be looking to get into those markets. They're not because they're not.

More bad news for those who don't understand this stuff - inflation rose again this quarter so prices will continue to rise as well.

Again, we need to understand that inflation doesn't just happen. It is caused by a range of factors. At the moment its caused by the last 5 years of government profligacy which in turn was caused by the public demand for and support of failed Covid responses.

But as usual, those who caused it are looking to relocate the blame.
Posted by mhaze, Wednesday, 31 July 2024 12:31:38 PM
Government spending is a big cause of inflation; and it will get worse with the money being handed out to buy votes for the coming election.

Inflation is now 3.8% federally, 4.5% in South Australia, and 4.6% in Western Australia. Don't know about the eastern states. They ignore everything West of the Great Dividing Range; I ignore them.

The old mot ‘there is no problem that hasn't been created by the government or made worse by them’ remains true.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 31 July 2024 4:09:31 PM
Government spending is a big cause of inflation;
ttbn,
I know what you mean & I totally agree but for those around here who don't want to see what's going on I'd like to say that it is incompetent Government spending & lack of bureaucrat integrity that causes inflation.
people are just as guilty though. They demand higher pay but all they achieve is costs going up higher. It's stupidity out-doing stupidity for the sake of stupidity i.e. greed.
How Govt & everyone else can just sit back & let CEO's take home millions & bureaucrats hundreds of thousands is simply stupid ! The voters get the Govt they deserve & Govt get the voters they deserve ! I think it's time to re-program this sick system !
Posted by Indyvidual, Wednesday, 31 July 2024 8:17:21 PM
Indyvidual

Oh, yes. Too many people now actually want big governments to provide everything for them. So, shifty politicians know that handouts, taking over people's lives and problems, is the way to get elected.

Policies mean nothing: it's about how much money and free stuff is available.

The problem is, the more governments give to people, the more control they have over those people. That's how the silly buggers end up oppressed and controlled by totalitarians - even after the money runs out.

We are looking at communism: that failed evil that not many people now remember, and the rest have never been taught about.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 31 July 2024 10:20:00 PM
"Government spending is a big cause of inflation"

If we abolish non productive Aged Welfare and introduce a Seniors National Service with non monetary payments, then there would be an immediate $70 billion saving. Off the bat for starters, we have a labour shortage in the building industry, put non-productive's to work there.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 1 August 2024 5:03:40 AM
Dear Paul,

«If we abolish non productive Aged Welfare and introduce a Seniors National Service with non monetary payments, then there would be an immediate $70 billion saving.»

The guillotine is cheaper and just think of all the houses that will become available - there will not even be a need for a building industry!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 1 August 2024 6:05:10 AM
Hi Yuyutsu,

I'm not in favour of capital punishment, and I think the guillotine is rather final, few survive without their head. I'm only wanting a bit of productivity, besides the guillotine is rather messy. I'll have to wait for the forum old blokes and see if they are in favour of your suggestion. They might view ME as a political dissident, and I don't know what they make of you. All in a days work I suppose. They may take a lead from the following....... Perhaps not!

"According to Nazi records, the guillotine was eventually used to execute some 16,500 people between 1933 and 1945, many of them resistance fighters and political dissidents."
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 1 August 2024 7:53:59 AM
Dear Paul,

«I'm not in favour of capital punishment,»

And I am not in favour of any punishment.

Nor am I in favour of the guillotine, but I personally would prefer it over being forcefully conscripted into your suggested Seniors National Service.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 1 August 2024 8:37:07 AM
Despite Jim Chalmers telling us what a beaut job he is doing to overcome inflation, Australia’s figure is still up while the rest of the world has falling inflation and interest rates. The big, vote-buying spend in May didn't help.

Jimbo still blames the “global economy”.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 1 August 2024 10:01:56 AM
Well Nathan will be thrilled to find out that within the latest inflationary data it is revealed that grocery prices only rose by 2.3%, much lower than the overall rate. Much lower than wage rises. Tell me more about those dastardly supermarkets!!

OTOH, electricity prices went up 6.3% and that was AFTER the government threw a bunch of money at subsidies to try to keep it under control. Remember when Albo assured us electricity prices would fall in his first three years due to the wonders of renewables. Well if you do remember, please stop it. You're not supposed to remember the lies they tell you just believe the new lies they now tell you.

Here's something else for the likes of Nathan to ponder. When you go to a supermarket you see massive numbers of lights, 'frigs, ovens and air-conditioning. All running on electricity. All costing 6.3% more to run this year than last. (Actually more than that since they don't get the subsidies). What effect does that have on supermarket prices?

If that's too hard to work out the correct answer is they rise
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 1 August 2024 11:14:25 AM
Poor old mhaze, he thinks everyone pays the same price for electricity. He believes Woolworth are paying the same as he is, a nobody little consumer to the big power companies. AND he also believes everyone's bill went up by 6.3%, probably all on the same day, btw happy birthday for yesterday mhaze, 1st August. Well news for you, Woolworths would be on a far better rate for power than little old consumers like you
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 2 August 2024 6:48:45 AM
there would be an immediate $70 billion saving
Says Paul1405,
Introduce public Service bureaucrat positions based on need & merit & three times more than that could be saved.
Their salaries alone would save that much, add to that stopping them from wasting through incompetence & indifference & you could double that again.
Posted by Indyvidual, Friday, 2 August 2024 8:48:28 AM
I wonder what special deals Woolworths get on electricity. The same as those businesses closing down or leaving Australia because we have some of the most expensive electricity in the world? Electricity is now a major cost of doing business, and obviously has to be passed on to the customer.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 2 August 2024 9:55:12 AM
Paul wrote: " he thinks everyone pays the same price for electricity. "

Well I specifically said the opposite to that, but we all know Paul's relationship to the facts, let alone reality, is non-existent.

Business pays more for electricity than individual consumers. And they don't get any of the subsidies doled out by the government to try to hide their failure to deliver the promised price cuts.

"AND he also believes everyone's bill went up by 6.3%, probably all on the same day,"

Paul's a dill but why does he have to show it on a daily basis. Not that he'll understand but the 6.3% increase in electricity costs occurred on average over the whole country over the 12 months to 30 June 2024. But numbers for Paul are like hieroglyphics.
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 2 August 2024 10:24:24 AM
True. The rich are being heavily subsidised by taxpayers. They are given billions every year to exterminate koalas and vandalise the Great Dividing Range by building wind and solar factories.

If you believe that wind and solar generate the cheapest power then you should be concerned with rising power prices. The price should be falling. You're being ripped off!
Posted by Fester, Friday, 2 August 2024 10:26:18 AM
Hi Fester,
The elite get the government to sign off and make the people to pay for the improvements they want.
Australia is projected to have a decade of deficit spending.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 2 August 2024 11:45:27 AM
Poor old mhaze, he's full of it,

This is what you said in reference to supermarkets; "massive numbers of lights, 'frigs, ovens and air-conditioning. All running on electricity. All costing 6.3% more to run this year than last. (Actually more than that since they (supermarkets) don't get the subsidies).

ALL COSTING 6.3% MORE TO RUN, well no not necessarily, YOU don't have a clue as to what supermarkets are paying for electricity. They could be paying 20% less this year than last. No surprise you are a Trumpster, most are at your level of intelligence, including your relatives in Borneo!
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 2 August 2024 1:06:31 PM
So Paul, you don't actually know they are paying more or less or the same as non-business consumers but assume its less because....well just because.

http://www.ratecity.com.au/energy/articles/difference-business-residential-electric-rates

The fact is they actually pay more. How much more depends on the size of the business and area they are in. But if you compare consumer and business electricity plans even you could probably see they pay more. And that's before the government subsidies handed out to voters to try to hide the increases with Albo promised wouldn't happen.

I've done bookwork for many businesses over the years and every single one paid a higher rate than consumers even before you consider issues like off-peak rates.

So just assuming they are paying less because that's what you want to believe isn't how the real world works. The real world - you should join it one day.
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 2 August 2024 2:38:33 PM
The latest inflation figures show fruit, vegs, bread,
and dairy, have all jumped in cost in the last month.

There's an inquiry , we're told, the first of many, by the
Australian government looking at food prices to ensure
they're fair.

Farmers have argued for too long that they've had it hard
when meeting the major retailers at the negotiating table.
We're told that time and time again growers of fruit, vegs,
milk and meat have privately recounted tales of bullying by
the retailers, essentially pushing them to supply more for
less.

Publicly they haven't been prepared to speak out for fear
of retribution.

Last year Coles and Woolies both reported profits of more
than $1 billion.

I've recently watched Miriam Margolyes travel programs where
she travels around regional Australia and meets and speaks
with farmers.

It's a sad state of affairs at present.

Mos Australians do want food security.

But how to achieve it and be fair to all is apparently no
easy task.

Hopefully someone will be able to come with a mix that will
satisfy all sides.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 2 August 2024 4:20:21 PM
Poor Old mhaze, comprehension is not your strong point.

You said; "but assume its less" No I didn't assume anything of the sorts. What I said was "they could be" there is no assumption in that phrase, nor does it say its valid. I could say mhaze could be intelligent, but I would most likely be wrong.

Then he gives me a something from 'RateCity', a domestic consumer site. Well I don't think the likes of Woolworths and Coles use info from 'RateCity' to get themselves the best power deal, nor like mhaze they're not paying top dollar with Dodo electricity.

Then he tells use about his book-keeping experience with some nickle and dime outfits, where he was most likely cooking the books down at Freddie's Take-Away, all for a free kebab on a Friday night. Probably studied high school commerce as well. Trumpster your wonders never cease!
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 2 August 2024 5:03:32 PM
Still Paul, you've simply asserted that big business (ooooh, boogie man) is getting cheaper electricity than others. You've haven't got the slightest evidence for that except your standard marxist conspiracy theories. (You see, Paul, that's the difference between us - you make up fantasies and pretend they're reality, I go and research reality which is why I provided links - do you know how to do that?)

But even if what you say is true, (and we both know its bollocks) that doesn't change my original point that rising electricity costs leads to rising supermarket costs. But I suspect that requires a level of cognition that is beyond you.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 3 August 2024 7:43:34 AM
Mr Trumpster, your comprehension of economics is abysmal, Did Freddie sack you from that job of cooking his books, when he said "Trumpster I need you to cook the books" he didn't mean for you to drop them into the hot chip fryer like you did!

Anyway, enough about your work experience. You said; "my (Trumpster) original point that rising electricity costs leads to rising supermarket costs" No necessarily overall, it will be a contributing factor in pricing, but its certainly not the only factor in determining supermarket prices at the check-out, electricity could go up but prices could at the same time go down. Something they didn't teach you in high school commerce class did they.

BTW, where is your evidence that electricity costs for supermarkets rose 6.3% last year, you're still thinking the big guys are paying the same top rate that Dodo is charging you, and they get their deal from online retail sites, oh dear you are way shy of the mark.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 3 August 2024 8:06:48 AM
Oh dear, Paul this just gets worse and worse for you.

I didn't say rising electricity costs were the only cause of rising supermarket costs. But they contribute whereas you and others seems to think its all about supermarket greed.

Equally I didn't say supermarket costs went up by 6.3%. In fact I specifically said they didn't go up by that amount - have I lost you yet?. We don't know how much they went up by but we do know they went up and that leads to rising costs for supermarkets and therefore rising prices at supermarkets. (Are you lost yet?).

Have you found any evidence for your claim that the supermarkets are paying less this year than last year - oh I forgot, Paul doesn't provide or look for evidence, he just fabricates lies and then pretends they are reality.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 3 August 2024 10:57:12 AM
"There's an inquiry , we're told, the first of many, by the
Australian government looking at food prices to ensure
they're fair."

Food prices rose by 2.3% in the year to June. So of course the government has an enquire as to who they can blame for it - answer anyone but the government.

Electricity prices rose by 6.3% (actually 14.7% before the subsidies issued last year to hide the government's failures) so of course the government DOESN'T have an enquiry which might find that the wrong person (ie government policy) was the cause.

The old saying for government - never hold an enquiry where you don't already know the answer or are able to fudge the answer.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 3 August 2024 11:56:14 AM
mhaze,

Firstly you only write as if the only place we buy from is supermarkets which we generally don't and then leave out pharmacies which have an exclusive stranglehold on the retail marketplace, plus political parties wrapped around their little finger due to political donations, but these things you choose to ignore.

I even provided links to the AFR regarding pharmacies, hardly a left leaning publication, a more conservative, free market one and in principle I am in favour of free markets when it comes to retail and purchasing so the consumer has more rights and the ability to access items at lower prices.

As the link highlighted: "Another win for the monopolists, a law to shield pharmacists from competition will take Queensland back to the last century."

It's something I agree with in terms of reality, pharmacies being shielded from competition are taking parts of Australia back to the last century.

No one including myself is dismissing inflation as an issue. In terms of electricity that also has a retail element, with a limited number of sellers and the production market is also limited, so naturally you will pay more in that area as a result also. It's a circular effect, a negative one and the consumers are the ones loosing out - and the farmers paid a pittance for their product.

On electricity prices and manipulating the market:

http://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/crime/qld-governmentowned-electricity-generators-facing-class-action-over-price-manipulation/video/c2e1609755ec6bd6dfee154c7a5e99e1

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-03/demand-power-tariffs-shock-to-australian-households/103913030

Farmers paid: "Outraged farmer wants supermarkets to 'be accountable' for massive profits as they 'bluff the public' and rip-off farmers"

http://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/outraged-farmer-wants-supermarkets-to-be-accountable-for-massive-profits-as-they-bluff-the-public-and-ripoff-farmers/news-story/09d750d568d36c3511b49ed29e1daab7

mhaze you have the opportunity to admit here that those with the power control prices and do have a huge say on what we pay in a range of areas, but you choose not to - why?
Posted by NathanJ, Saturday, 3 August 2024 2:34:10 PM
Mhaze, unlike you who claims to be "in the know" about what the big supermarkets are paying for electricity, that's a joke they're not about to tell an old coot like you what they pay, or don't pay. I never assumed anything, you did that for both of us.

You said; "So Paul, you don't actually know (if) they (supermarkets) are paying more or less or the same as non-business" Correct, just like you dopey! Other than the fact electricity is a cost of doing business for the supermarkets, I can't say what the impact it has on prices at the check-out, nor can YOU! You sure you did high school commerce, being clueless as you are about business.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 3 August 2024 8:29:20 PM
Nathan,

"Firstly you only write as if the only place we buy from is supermarkets".

This is the first clause in your original post....
"I went into a supermarket the other day".

I can't imagine why the conversation devolved into talking about supermarkets!!

Nathan wrote: "then leave out pharmacies which have an exclusive stranglehold on the retail marketplace, "

This is from the most recent release on June 2024 inflation talking about inflation in the past year...
"Pharmaceutical products fell 0.6% ".
But its only the ABS, what would they know?

Paul who claims he doesn't make assumptions about prices... "They could be paying 20% less this year than last." In Paul's fantasy world, electricity prices went up everywhere EXCEPT supermarkets. Oh dear.
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 4 August 2024 8:06:02 AM
The best Yahoo "news" can come up with on the inability of people to cope with the largely fictional increase in the CPI is that - shock, horror - boozers are not shouting a round in pubs!

No chance of adjusting by giving up the drug altogether, of course; it is needed to make them feel better about the hard times.

Teetotallers seem to manage OK without numbing their brains.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 4 August 2024 9:17:39 AM
Counterfeit medications are a significant income source for organised crime. A regulated industry provides protection from counterfeiting and comes at a price, but would you rather get a discount and take your chances?

I self medicate for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, and have done so for over ten years. The same medication (off label use in Australia) would cost me well over $10,000 a year. I paid $900 for a few hundred years supply (chemically stable and the smallest quantity I could purchase). I have medical oversight for the use of the drug. Is this what people mean when they want cheaper drugs? Not that I have observed. What people want is for someone else to go to all the hard work and expense in procuring a safe and effective drug, then provide it to them at low cost, preferably free, and then they will still whinge about one inconvenience or another.

If you are always on the take then you are in danger of not giving much thought about the processes and costs by which your handouts are provided.
Posted by Fester, Sunday, 4 August 2024 9:18:15 AM
"mhaze you have the opportunity to admit here that those with the power control prices and do have a huge say on what we pay in a range of areas, but you choose not to - why?"

Why? Because that is wrong.

Supermarkets, pharmacies , retailers in general don't have the power to control prices. Only those utterly ignorant of economics think so. They are just as much at the mercy of government policy, international forces, the vicissitudes of supply and demand as every one else.

The current inflation cycle was instituted by the errors of the Covid lockdowns and the economic vandalism that accompanied that. People who applauded the lockdown policies did so in utter ignorance or utter lack of care as to the results of those policies.

But when the results became apparent, when the chooks came home to roost, rather than accept the real causes, they look around for others to blame. I get that you and millions like you want to blame the supermarkets, the pharmacists, the retailers because they are the ones you see putting up prices. But they aren't the causes of inflation - you are.
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 4 August 2024 11:00:48 AM
Paul1405,
Why do you challenge posters yet when a question is put to you we never get an answer other than some idiotic waffle ?
Sounds very much like you're a bureaudroid !
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 4 August 2024 11:47:55 AM
Mr Mhaze Trumpster,

Wrong again, can't you tell the difference between an assumption and a statement of possibly. To say "They could be paying 20% less this year than last." is not an assumption, its only one possibility. If I had said; "I assume they are paying 20% less this year than last", now that's an assumption. Example, I could say; "mhaze could have an above average IQ" that is an assumption, but I would be wrong!

How about providing evidence that supermarkets are paying more this year than last for electricity. You're in the know, so you claim, how about some proof to back up what you say, the fact is you don't know. Is all this some kind of Trumpenoics on your part?

Indy,

No need for you to worry about inflation, supermarket prices etc, with you snout firmly in the taxpayer trough getting a big handout of undeserved aged welfare, you're inflation proof!
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 4 August 2024 6:06:20 PM
Got a friend that works at Coles service stations.
Apparently a few days back they've done some training about new tobacco laws coming in.

Apparently rolling tobacco will only be available in pouches of 15 grams, so if you used to buy a 50 gram pouch, you will now have to buy 3 which will cost more, but you get less.
Same for cigarettes, they will only be available in packs of 20's so if you used to buy packets of 40's you'll now have to buy 2 packets at a higher cost.

They call it shrinkflation.

Stupid part about it is that more people will just switch to cheap illegal tobacco, and the government will take less in sales tax.

Though I'm sure it will be good for their statistics, they can probably claim smoking rates are reducing and their policies are successful, when in truth smokers will just not be buying the normal legal tobacco products.

Goes to prove once again our nation is run by imbeciles.
They'd be making more in tobacco tax overall if they weren't so greedy.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 4 August 2024 10:53:09 PM
Hi AC,

"SHRINKFLATION" is a common practice, your favourite sauce once in a 250g bottle, now in the "same" bottle but smaller at 200g at even a higher price. Where you once bought 4 bottles you now buy 5, up over 25%. The one caught out with that practice was Cadbury chocolates once 200g block now a 180g block. They were forced to change their claim "a glass and a half in every block", now they have to say "A glass and a half in every 200g". In the good old days their chochs were 1/2 pond blocks (427g).

Just on "No Frills" the old Franklins made the mistake of reducing the quality under their black and white labelling, "more sauce and less beans" as they would say. Aldi on the other hand have been able to keep the quality (copy the brand name) and reduce the price.

The biggest problem with Woolworths and Coles with their 75% of the market, they lack competitiveness. The big two control prices from both ends the "deal" they give the producer, and price fixing at the retail end. Remember the milk scandal where the supermarkets purposely kept milk at $1/lt sending producers broke. Not because they wanted to help consumers, but because they wanted to boost overall dairy sales, in Woolworths case dairy sales went up 15% on some very high margin dairy items, the milk was a bait to get customers into the dairy section.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 5 August 2024 5:43:48 AM
BTW AC,

No inflation on our food hampers, the price this year is the same as last year FREE. Got bad news last week our local Wynnum Community Place an outreach of Redlands Community Centre, they have been operating 5 days a week unfunded, (previously 3) looks like closing at the end of September, due to lack of funds, they are a "non-for-profit" rather than a "charity", which is a disadvantage in my book. P/S our mob is doing ok, we're only down about $3k on last year for the first 6 months 2024, but we can sustain that with grants, donations and fundraising. We are lucky to have a couple of big sponsors.

http://redlandcommunitycentre.org/wynnum-community-place/
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 5 August 2024 6:05:38 AM
Hi Paul,
Redlands Community Centre:
- Isn't that a place in Capalaba behind the old Video Ezy store, now charity clothing and other goods?
Which one's closing down?
Also, can my friend in Alex Hills go over to Wynnum, or are there area boundaries to receiving food hampers?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 5 August 2024 7:44:49 AM
mhaze,

<<This is the first clause in your original post....
"I went into a supermarket the other day".>>

Well, the initial post did actually include pharmacies, and you conveniently left that out of your discussion for a long time. You left that out of your own choosing. Now, that's not my problem, that's yours. The reality is people shop at a range of places, including ones with a complete stranglehold on the marketplace - pharmacies one of them.

<Supermarkets, pharmacies, retailers in general don't have the power to control prices....>

You seem to deny that the retail sector has a real say on what we pay as consumers. The fact is they do, particularly the large players, alongside others. Plus, they also have an impact on our daily lives and so there is a difference between say a figure and actual reality of life.

For example, I am on a lot of medications, plus also vitamin tablets (not a lifestyle choice). Where I live, we only have certain brands of pharmacies in the area, others frozen out due to the current regulations, with the pharmacies in my area taking advantage of the system due to lack of competition. Some items are 50% more expensive than elsewhere. That has nothing to do with inflation at all. It means I have to travel further out to get my medications.

The flow on effects of greed are passed onto consumers, alongside other factors of course, ones I have already acknowledged such as inflation - but all you want to do is continually defend your friends at the pharmacy guild and large supermarkets.
Posted by NathanJ, Monday, 5 August 2024 1:01:46 PM
Again Nathan, the ABS found that ""Pharmaceutical products fell 0.6% " in the year to June. That's overall and over all products. It might be that the products you need just happen to be the ones where prices didn't fall but I suspect its more likely that its all about false memory.
If pharmacists do control prices, why did they allow overall prices to drop? Or do you disbelieve the ABS figures?

BTW, if you're concerned about vitamin prices try iHerbs.com which is where I always get mine. That way you can by-pass those greedy pharmacists.
Posted by mhaze, Monday, 5 August 2024 2:01:41 PM
I don't like the idea of pharmacies selling vaping products.
Seems like the wrong fit to me, might as well sell smokes too.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 5 August 2024 2:22:54 PM
Hi AC,

No problem send them down, don't ask addresses just circumstance, ie name, single, couple, family, number of dependants and ages, accommodated, homeless or couch surfing. If you have a dog or cat, yes, we give out pet food if we have it, as well as hygiene items if needed. Ask if a person is registered with 'Centrelink' but don't look at cards etc, ask a contact number that's optional, only used if we were to give out a "bad prawn". Name can be just first name, but most people give their full name, all details are confidential. Been robed 3 times this year, cops asked us to check if the local they arrested on finger prints for 2 of the break in's had been to us before, yes he had been twice in January.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 5 August 2024 3:54:10 PM
Rob the charity after going to them for help, well that's biting the hand that feeds you.
Stealing from the most desperate in the community, glad they caught them.
They need to be publicly shamed or something.

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along tomorrow.
She's genuinely struggling, definitely not the 'wealthy poor'.

Alcohol tax hiked again, expect to pay more
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/breaking-news/alcohol-tax-hiked-again-expect-to-pay-more/news-story/5361f6ae4ab0399540617b43e053a20a

I'm not sure if cigarettes and alcohol are considered a part of a cost of living crisis or not.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 6 August 2024 1:10:43 AM
I noticed yesterday morning the finance analyst came on after Albo and Mike Burgess and the first thing he said was 'Don't Panic'.
Seems he was trying to tell people 'Don't sell'.
I noticed it yesterday and thought he's trying to protect the market and economy from panic selling.
I see its taken another hit overnight, opened lower this morning.

You have to wonder if they have the little people interests.
They'd rather have mum and dad investors take the hit, while all of them are selling.
I guess they would claim it's the 'responsible' thing to do.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 6 August 2024 9:52:08 AM
After all the yabber, Nathan still hasn't twigged that moaning about his personal problems to a computer screen isn't going to make a jot of difference.

There are people and departments paid to deal with his complaints. Being an A-class whinger, he would most likely not have had given them a try; if he has, it's also most likely that he was politely told to suck it up - just like everyone else.

Whatever. But moaning to anonymous posters is not going to ease his misery, or make his shopping cheaper.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 6 August 2024 10:24:28 AM
ttbn,

<<After all the yabber, Nathan still hasn't twigged that moaning about his personal problems to a computer screen isn't going to make a jot of difference.>>

So when I voice an opinion here about something it's literally a crime, but when you do something it's nothing or perhaps people could call the same as above?

mhaze,

Re the ABS statistics and pharmacies, there are figures calculated from someone's office at the ABS and elsewhere and then there's real life. Please get out and find out what real life is all about and what is actually occurring - and no it's not about false memory or old age.

For example, I can get price matching at some pharmacies that charge a lot more, but I need to ask for it and travel long distances away to get a product that is cheaper at another retailer to get the discount in the first place - and the discount is substantial. The prices though are not going down due to competition or other reasons, it's because I'm being pushy at the chemist saying I want price matching - and if I don't ask I don't get it.

I also get prescriptions from my specialist where I can get multiple prescriptions in one purchase that are the same. It means the pharmacy misses out on prescription fees, compared to if I go in individually and purchase one item per time, but legally they have to accept. Some though decline, making up reasons why my prescription can't be accepted and I have to leave or remain firm to get an outcome in my favour.

As for your vitamin website, no products suitable for myself and one similar (but not suitable) is more expensive that what I would pay at a more expensive pharmacy!

As pointed out there are a range of factors that lead to price rises or people paying more in general in the retail sector. Inflation is not the only one.
Posted by NathanJ, Friday, 9 August 2024 11:18:32 AM
Hi NathanJ,

The Old Fart had this to say to me when I put forward my opinion on his diatribe against young people volunteering. The only opinions he likes are his own, and he gives them about 5 times a day on this forum.

"At least I have the intelligence the honesty and courage to express my opinions: which is more that can be said for you. You only attack the poster, never tackle the subject, you horrible creature.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 9 August 2024 2:57:03 PM
Eggs- the issues are a combination of Woke Marxist activism against caged eggs and recent health scares. Also laws around the keeping of chickens, roosters, etc due to vermin, noise and a high proportion rental population has conspired to make Australian's more dependent on large shopping chains. Even the plastic bag Woke Marxist activism has probably effected compliance costs and profits of supermarkets. As mhaze and ttbn said it's often not the fault of the supermarkets. Back in the day we could keep chickens and sell the excess. Also food safety laws all conspiring to create authoritarian dependency and slavery.
Medicine- there is an enforced monopoly/ oligopoly/ supply restriction in the health care sector (doctors, pharma, etc) under the auspices of public safety that doesn't always work
Posted by Canem Malum, Friday, 9 August 2024 3:30:42 PM
Is the Kudos Kid for real, everything he is against is down to the "Woke Marxist" whoever they are, all off the planet nonsense of course, but he believes it. What on earth does chickens in cages have to do with the mystery "Woke Marxist"! There are lunatics everywhere, including on this forum!
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 12 August 2024 7:04:38 AM
One thing I forgot to add here were the costs of face masks in terms of heavy Covid restrictions. I remember when you had to pay up to $25.00 and you got about 5-6 in a packet. Now I can get 10 for $5.00.

Please don't tell me there weren't people at all ends, manufacturing, wholesale and retail taking advantage of people there. There would have been - and it was all a big rip off of a monumental scale, probably one of the worst in Australia's history!
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 13 August 2024 7:54:46 PM
NathanJ- remember Sinophile, Andrew (Twiggy) Forest from Fortescue Metals and his Chinese imported PPE's (probably mostly face masks). As well as his campaign to put women in most of the C Level roles in his "gender before merit" affirmative action policy. Sounds like "gender washing" to me. "Washing" seems to be a red flag to hide failures within companies.
Posted by Canem Malum, Thursday, 15 August 2024 1:05:53 PM
I wonder why Paul1405 cares about my talking about Woke Marxism? Maybe I'm saying something he doesn't want others to know about.
Posted by Canem Malum, Thursday, 15 August 2024 1:08:20 PM
From memory it ws Gramsci's Prison Diaries that talks about cultural hegemony and the march through the institutions of Health, Schools, etc shortly before he was executed as being a social pest.
Posted by Canem Malum, Thursday, 15 August 2024 1:13:12 PM
Kudos Kid,

"I wonder why Paul1405 cares about my talking about Woke Marxism?"

Why, because I'm not sure they really exist, like fairies at the bottom of the garden, or are they just a figment of your fertile imagination, please enlighten. I did ask you several times for the names of Australia's most influential Communists, those unnamed people you kept banging on about, no list was forthcoming, have they morphed into a form known only to you as "Woke Marxists". Like that list of Australian Communists you couldn't provide, is that also true of an Australian list of Woke Marxists.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 16 August 2024 7:01:35 AM
Am I right if I think supermarkets are making only a 3 percent profit?
Were I in such a business, I would expect at least 10 percent or more.
So they are undercharging us?
Time to get realistic?
Posted by Ipso Fatso, Thursday, 5 September 2024 1:27:39 PM
"Am I right if I think supermarkets are making only a 3 percent profit?"

A bit of slight of hand there, at the check-out supermarkets make 3% net, but as they control the supply chain they make profits at all points along that chain, from farm production, packaging, wholesale, transport etc.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 5 September 2024 5:06:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy