The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A Cashless Society Will Cost Us - Bigtime

A Cashless Society Will Cost Us - Bigtime

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. 13
  15. All
A recent survey shows that people spend more when they go cashless. Not on tips or charities though.

Handing over cash is more “salient”. If nothing physical is handed over, “it is easier to lose track of how much is spent. And, many people refuse to take a receipt of their electronic payments to reconcile with their bank statements, the dills.

(An Adelaide university study, published in the ‘Journal of Retailing’)

Not that OLO big senders, sneerers at people who are deemed to be “behind the times”, and general nongs who don't mind being ripped off would care.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 7 June 2024 6:10:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aged welfare, make it cashless with food stamps etc to "spend" at the government store. Old folks can't handle cash anyway money confuses them.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 7 June 2024 8:05:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is something I do not understand about this topic.
If I buy a goods, I pay $x for it.
If I paid by credit card or other system I see from my accounts I
still pay $x. So where do these charges come in ?
Are they built in to the advertised price ?
If so I would prefer my local supplier to get it, so pay cash.

On another matter if a shop says no cash, cards only and I offer
legal tender and they refuse it, can I just take the goods and say thanks !
Posted by Bezza, Friday, 7 June 2024 11:19:26 PM
Baz

Perhaps you have been lucky so far, buying from traders who don't attach the surcharge. Recently, my wife spent $946 and was charged a $13 surcharge, or 1.4% of the purchase price. I use my financial institution's app, and the amount was displayed with the surcharge separately beneath the amount of the sale.

She paid for paying!

Again, if you pay just the price of goods, you have not been hit with the surcharge. Make the most of it; because, if cash disappears, and there is no longer any point on being competitive, they will all be bunging the surcharge on.

And, of course you can't take the goods if cash isn't an option. You just advise them to put the stuff back on the shelves, and walk away.

Better still, when you go into a shop, first look at the checkout area, where they should have notice of their payment preferences, and if there is a surcharge for using electronic payment. The law says that they must do that.

If, as some of the know-nothings on this site say, that going cashlessness is more convenient and CHEAPER for a business, why are they putting on a surcharge? Miserable greed, is why - and the mugs are letting them get away with it.

Something else. There is supposed to be a difference between the surcharge on credit cards and debit cards (where your own money is used). However, it has been reported that the high amount for the credit card (the banks money) is also being charged on debit cards.

Australians are being made poorer every day by the Albanese government. Australians are letting them get away with it because well, hey what can you do about it.

Business is also making us poorer, but we can do something about that. No cash - no business. Go where they do take cash.

If you do need, or want to use a card, it should be illegal for traders to add a surcharge as it is in Europe and America.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 8 June 2024 9:24:30 AM
While I'm on about the poor quality of our politicians and their lack of interest in us, their employers, I'm going off topic to mention a headline I've just seen: the Liberal Party begging Labor to put the Greens last in the coming election.

WTF! It is up to voters to decide their preferences, not the Liberal Party or any other party. But, we know that the politicians and media have made the drones think otherwise. Sadly, dopy voters are as much go blame as government, the media and corporations for the shite country Australia has become.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 8 June 2024 9:36:30 AM
ttbn,

Maybe you're not aware, but HTV's from political parties are no more than a guide, or put it another way their preferred preference. As for putting the Greens last, that would promote the Fascists and Nazi's from the likes of One Nation up the list, and possibly see more of them joining the Lovely Pauline in the Senate, people who have no affinity with Labor principles to begin with, and would combine with the Noalition to vote down Labor's agenda. The reality is Labor needs the Greens far more than the Greens need Labor.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 8 June 2024 10:14:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11