The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A Cashless Society Will Cost Us - Bigtime

A Cashless Society Will Cost Us - Bigtime

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
Baz,

A week ago the Treasurer was saying that the government is committed to cash and moving it around the country, “even if Armaguard goes into insolvency.

We need to remember that it is non-government actors talking about the “inevitably” of cash disappearing at this stage. Lots of opinion; not much in the way of facts.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 11 June 2024 11:35:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Its inevitable, with the advancement of technology a totally cashless society will become the norm. Today cash handling by business is not free, they charge the customer through higher prices for the cost of handling cash, so they will charge for paperless transactions in the same way, its called, "the cost of doing business". of course its very hard to convince these old Luddites that, that's the reality.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 12 June 2024 7:02:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
According to 7 News, cash withdrawals are increasing.

30,859,700 ATM cash withdrawals in February, representing a 3.6% increase in withdrawals in February 2023. (Reserve Bank data)

The $9 billion of withdrawals are the highest since 2020.

A backlash against the bullies?

An aside: Western Australia has caught up with South Australia by stopping gamblers using credit cards. Many years ago I witnessed a barman in Port Adelaide telling a woman that she couldn't get money for the pokies with a credit card.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 12 June 2024 8:29:32 AM
Dear Paul,

«Its inevitable, with the advancement of technology a totally cashless society will become the norm.»

I just hope to be dead by then.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 12 June 2024 8:40:15 AM
Yuyutsu

Only people who have no say in anything use the word 'inevitable'. Governments are not saying that cash will disappear; nor is the RBA. I have presented above information to that effect.

Every time you see something about the economy and read about it, images of people handling banknotes - not plastic cards - are used.

But whatever happens, it won't be in our lifetimes; and I hope that the smartarses and the increasingly ignorant young will learn the error of their ways. It won't be our problem. Isn't that wonderful!
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 12 June 2024 9:08:40 AM
I recently started withdrawing a bit of cash every time I pay for groceries at the supermarket, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the sense of freedom and privacy that now comes with using cash for purchases.

Even more surprising is the unexpected feeling I get that I am somehow doing something "naughty." I suspect this stems from the perception that those who use cash are seen as having something to hide; when they're not old enough to be considered technologically challenged, at least.

It seems to me that the initial embarrassment cashiers express, after presumptuously offering the EFT machine to customers wishing to pay with cash, is slowly being replaced by a raised eyebrow. After all, why would I have cash in my wallet if all of my recent transactions were legitimate?
Posted by John Daysh, Wednesday, 12 June 2024 9:29:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All