The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > I Spy With My Little Eye

I Spy With My Little Eye

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. ...
  14. 13
  15. 14
  16. 15
  17. All
Talking about China.

Yesterday we received a telephone call at home from
a person claiming that they were concerned about our
"computer security." A red flag went up for me
immediately. I asked - "How did you get my number -
it's unlisted?" She repeated - her concern about my
"computer security." I said "That's strange, we don't have
a computer." And the woman hung-up - ringing back an hour
later and speaking in Chinese this time.

So Folks be careful - and whatever you do - don't fall
for any scam. Don't give out any information or take
phone-calls from people you don't know.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 6 March 2024 8:21:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Talking about spies.

"You can't be a real spy and have everybody in the
world know who you are and what your drink is."

(Roger Moore).
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 6 March 2024 9:13:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anyone remember the Labor Senator - Sam Dastyari who
was suspected of being "an agent of influence," back
in 2017? due to Chinese donations? He ended up
resigning from politics.

There's more at the following:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/12/sam-dastyari-quits-labor-senator-china-connection#
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 6 March 2024 10:21:52 AM
My apologoes. Here's the link again:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/12/sam-dastyari-quits-labor-senator-china-connections#
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 6 March 2024 10:26:11 AM
Thanks Foxy - some good research.

I have an inkling a more senior, more respected former politician, from either side of politics, may be the one ASIO and the AFP actually had in mind.
Posted by Maverick, Wednesday, 6 March 2024 4:02:17 PM
AUSTRALIAN FEDERAL POLICE CONCERNS

For those with a trendy, typical anti-ASIO bias.

Note that ASIO does much of the Analysis of Foreign Interference and the Threat Briefing to Parliament and others.

It is the AFP (working with Judges) that does the charging and arresting.

So here's part of a handy summary from the AFP: http://www.afp.gov.au/crimes/espionage-and-foreign-interference#about-this-crime-type

"About espionage and foreign interference..."

[NOTE THAT THE ANTI-BURGESS, ANTI-ASIO KNEE JERKERS CONVENIENTLY FORGET THAT THE AFP COULD ONLY ACT AGAINST THOSE WHO BROKE FOREIGN INTERFERENCE LAWS - ONCE THOSE LAWS WERE IN EFFECT - THAT IS SOMETIME AFTER JUNE 2018.

"...In June 2018, the Australian Government introduced the National Security Amendment (Espionage and Foreign Interference) Act 2018 (EFI Act) to combat the growing challenge of foreign interference.

The EFI Act amended existing offences in the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth) and introduced espionage-related offences. Some of the actions it criminalised include...

...The secretive nature of foreign interference makes it difficult to detect. Any harm to Australia may not be apparent for many years [AFTER 2018].

To be a crime under the Criminal Code Act, foreign interference must be linked to a foreign government or its proxy (also known as a foreign actor)."

more at http://www.afp.gov.au/crimes/espionage-and-foreign-interference#about-this-crime-type
Posted by Maverick, Wednesday, 6 March 2024 4:30:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11