The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bachelors who major in abhorrent behaviour > Comments

Bachelors who major in abhorrent behaviour : Comments

By Nina Funnell, published 13/11/2009

Men who hold misogynist and sexist attitudes can come from any class, community or culture.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. All
Pynchme:"if a bloke regularly gets drunk at the pub; flashes a bit in a fit of mild hooliganism and brags about his conquests - does that mean it's ok for someone else to rape him?"

Perhaps not, but it does mean it's OK for the bouncers to forcibly eject him and it does mean it's OK for the police to sharge him with indecent exposure or disorderly conduct for "flashing a bit".

Just why is it not OK for the same things to happen to the woman who does the same? Why is he held to be accountable for his drunken actions while she is not? Think about the answer to that one and you might just start to work out why the "glass ceiling" exists.

Nina, as others have said and as I have pointed out before, you're quite a good writer when you avoid polemics. It's a shame that you have fallen into a culture that rewards such conformism more than the genuinely thoughful writing you're capable of producing.

Do take note that your only support for this article has come from the extremely misandric pynchme, who never met a bloke she didn't despise. Do try to aim higher, you're wasting your talents and education with this sort of guff.
Posted by Antiseptic, Sunday, 15 November 2009 4:58:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The sort of behaviour that Nina writes about is nothing new.

Hellfire clubs, "These clubs were rumoured to be the meeting places of "persons of quality"[1] who wished to take part in immoral acts, and the members were often very involved in politics."

The very first known hellfire club was founded in 1719.

I think it was St Augstine, who in an effort to destroy or control pagans and enforce christanity collect a list of 'sin's' and basically any pagan behaviour became sinful and punishable.

so history repeats it self where a moral minority tries to control the behaviour of those who they find objectionable.
Posted by JamesH, Sunday, 15 November 2009 7:48:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Antiseptic: Nice sideways step to avoid the issue of consent.

The fact is that context matters. A woman flashing her vagina would very likely be ejected from a club, except perhaps a strip club or something, or arrested for indecent exposure. Either sex flashing their genitalia in the middle of Myers on a Saturday morning would probably be charged with something or at least removed from the store. There is a wider range of discussion possible on social mores and modesty and the like; personality disorders too, if we must get clinical - but I won't follow your lead away from the core issue just yet.

The issue is consent. Nobody who is intoxicated or drugged is capable of giving it. A male who is insensible is vulnerable too, and nobody has the right to use his body while he's in that state.

Btw: You can write quite well when you're not rationalizing a narcissistic sense of entitlement to others' bodies.
Posted by Pynchme, Sunday, 15 November 2009 12:17:40 PM
Pynchme

Again I tend to agree with your theoretical perspective but that doesn't justify Nina or Anti's extreme representation of the data.

Facts are males are more inclined toward physical violence in pubs and clubs. Likewise Females tend to behave more aggressively sexual at male strippers than the other way around.

Neither side is always blameless.
As I said before, it is total nonsense to over emphasize either side.
Bad behaviour is bad behaviour regardless of gender.

I also think Nina's piece has the depth/objectivity/worth of a facebook entry hardly a discussion/thought piece.

Pre-teen mags, TV, MTV clips media movies don't help because of the stereo typing of extreme rolls for money appealing to the LOWEST denominator.

Clearly sex and sexualization is normal But discussions like this tend to emphasize, justify, excuse the extremes.

IMO it is the extremes, the excesses, in anything that are the problem. if you like the third standard deviation from the mean.

This means that numerically few actually behave in these extreme ways consistently. Their 'individuality' sells products under the guise of adding greater justification to leadership/acceptance in peer groups.
In short just because it's natural doesn't mean we should roll in it/blow it out of proportion (i.e. we all go to the toilet but....)
Posted by examinator, Sunday, 15 November 2009 1:12:05 PM
Yes TheMissus, Australia is a "sexist society". To that you can add "racist, homophobic, reactionary, bigoted, ageist and xenophobic".
Oh for that wonderful land just somewhere over the rainbow.
Posted by blairbar, Sunday, 15 November 2009 4:49:09 PM
I agree with Blairbar, we certainly have many problems with our attitudes about others in this country.
Yet, strangely, Australia is one of the most sought after countries to emigrate to in the world.

Nina worries about men's behaviours in her article. I say we women are very lucky to live in Australia, where at least there are no laws dictating what we are to wear, what religion (if any) we are to practice, who we are to speak to, where we go out, or what we eat or drink (although I realise some men still try to enforce such rules in their own households)!

I understand we have a long way to go before we have gender equality in Australia, but I don't think most women have it too bad here.
Posted by suzeonline, Sunday, 15 November 2009 5:53:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12