The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bachelors who major in abhorrent behaviour > Comments

Bachelors who major in abhorrent behaviour : Comments

By Nina Funnell, published 13/11/2009

Men who hold misogynist and sexist attitudes can come from any class, community or culture.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
Oh dear, oh my what a lot of hand ringing.

It is also true that women who hold misandristic attitudes can come from any class.

During my college years, there were some very ill mannered behaviour, not only on the part of men, but women as well.

It would seem to me that Nina takes any opportunity that she can to take a swipe at the male gender. It is rather tiresome.

lets get past the hyperbole and dig deeper under the artifical layers of misbehaviour and feminist theory.

But then the matrons always disapproved of any behaviour that they thought was unacceptable.

I guess that until they (feminist) discover a way of controlling male behaviour, to what they deem to be acceptable, or someone figures out a way to neuter all pubescent males, there will always be problems that Nina just loves to write about.
Posted by JamesH, Friday, 13 November 2009 9:43:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nina,
You are in danger becoming counter productive to you argument by being myopic and polarised. In the process you over emphasise your point and are only reaching the converted....the out of average female, those with gender victim issues or those with bad attitudes of their own (anti male/female).

You might like to take a more realistic objective perception. Experience tells me that current circumstances are a little more complex and that right's issue of the 60's are well underway and that it's time to consider that males cop it too.

My worse experiences are mostly due to unfair treatment by females in that I was defenseless unless I resorted to violence,unpalatable brinkmanship and escalation.

It is a nonsense to suggest that men don't suffer this and similar discrimination from either gender.

Surveys I've seen show of reported cyber bullying is weighted towards females in the younger generation. My point is the discrimination or nastiness isn't exclusively one sided.

I don't disagree with what you say perhaps you could consider the more productive perspective of Bad behaviour and unfair discrimination is rife regardless of gender.

Power struggles are as natural as they are undesirably internecine to a society, nation etc.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 13 November 2009 11:37:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maybe, just maybe, these bachelors are reflecting the values of a society who demanded parents not discipline their children.

Thus, the wanton sense of endless and selfish “entitlement”, displayed by loutish thugs, who rape at will and demonstrate that they have no concept of the rights of or respect for others, is the price of them never receiving a timely whack across the arse when they actually needed it.

In short, the payback for listening to a bunch of whoosy psychologists and assorted and often self appointed “experts”, who demand to order people in matter of raising children (despite having none of their own) and who still complain bitterly when a parent applies a salutary hand to the buttocks of a toddler screaming to get its own way or teenager who feels entitled to trash public facilities and people’s houses. Such delinquents being confident in the knowledge that there is no real punishment allowed in the nanny state, where abhorrent behavior is resolved by hand holding and clinical self-assessment courses, instead of hard gaol time
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 13 November 2009 1:36:46 PM
I didn't at all consider that the article was an exercise in "man-hating". Nor have I ever much thought or come across feminists whom take the time to write considered articles etc to be, in general, "man-haters".

But what I have noticed is that when criticism is made of supposedly "fun", "carefree", and "it's just a joke" type behaviours that are considered normal by a sufficiently large selection of people then there is always somewhat of a backlash. Not so much because a nerve has been struck but because any person who criticises the norm will always been seen as a bit of a loony and as someone who obviously doesn't understand the "real" world. People in this category are typically seen to have an "axe to grind" because why else would they think such behaviour isn't okay?

Boys who run crazy at college as described in the article do exist. And boys that don't exist too. It is not an essentially a male trait to behave in such ways. It is not just "boys being boys" because such a concept precludes the many boys whom don't participate. This is why, among other things, such behaviour is and can be criticised and why those whom think such behaviour is merely normal and part of the essence of being male are plain wrong. Such behaviours are social behaviours and social behaviours are subject to change.
Posted by twistoflime, Friday, 13 November 2009 1:43:19 PM
meh, just another unhappy feminist chant.

To sum the article up....

'and they have been proactive about working in collaboration with expert feminists.'

Translation; Damn, it's not fair, I want a cushy role with this board like Lumby got with the NRL board.

'expert feminist'?

Or, a useful name for organisations to bandy about when they need to do some pr damage control. You're not quite there yet Nina, but keep at it.
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 13 November 2009 1:47:40 PM
WTF?
In her article on 28 February this year Nina Funnell states, “A number of my friends take pole dancing classes. Another two have had boob jobs. And many of my friends enjoy big nights out on the booze. They also swear, smoke and have sex… these women are highly successful, motivated, intelligent individuals. They would take great offence at the suggestion that they have been unthinkingly duped or coerced into their current lifestyles.”
Posted by WTF?, Friday, 13 November 2009 2:47:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy