The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Changing Australia Day > Comments

Changing Australia Day : Comments

By Andrew Bartlett, published 28/1/2009

Calls to change Australia Day are manna from heaven for radio shock jocks and history warriors: it’s no surprise Kevin Rudd wants to shut down debate.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. ...
  14. 16
  15. 17
  16. 18
  17. All
Bushbred “Might say, Col Rouge, I had Marksman placed in my paybook after my first military rifle shoot way back in 1950.”

So what, I played with guns when in USA… M16 included… did not do too bad for a beginner… but if you became a “Marksman” it would suggest, the “skill” needed was far from “scarce”.

“And if you want to know where my Honour came from, it was receiving 93/100 in 1981, after a long study in Sri Lanka”

Well I didn’t (want to know) but I suppose I will never get those few seconds back, wasted on reading your potted biography…

but you do remind me of something humorous, which I will share

She offered her honour,
I honoured her offer,
And all night long,
I was on ‘er and off ‘er.

“You should know by now, my friend, that many country boys have a reputation just not only in sport, but of also marrying full-blood natives, the progeny still revealed as having physical capabilities much superior to whities.”

Ah - if they were so "superior" why did they not found an "Empire on which the Sun never Set"?

and why, on earth, do you think I should care about your coupling choices?

I can assure you, the capabilities of the "fruits of my lions", are nothing for me to be ashamed of, not just in their physical capabilities but also their intellectual and attitudinal capabilities (to which, I note, you, pointedly, made no reference).

“Finally, Col Rouge, seems the way you talk, you haven't been around very much, or is it just that you were not born with the brain to analyse coherently.”

Think what you want of me, your opinion has the consequence of a defective tap dripping water,

And to fix that, the only thing needed is a 1 cent washer and we can get on with life, the previously constant dripping on and on and on …. having been properly silenced.

Like Leigh said “Just try being yourself, instead being a poser.”
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 30 January 2009 5:25:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks, Col Rouge, but remember I'm nearly 88 -

and guess from the way you speak or write, you still need a lot of years to learn not only decency, but very much wisdom and understanding.

In fact, could feel a bit sorry for you, Col, especially about your attitude to our Aborigines.

As a matter of fact, I've written a series on WA called A Land in Need, and one of the main characters in Book One was a native called Yagan who has been called a hero by historians, but certainly not by writer characters like yourself.

Have Fun in your mental swamp,

BB, Buntine, WA.
Posted by bushbred, Friday, 30 January 2009 6:28:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Professor of Public Ethics at Charles Sturt University
has backed the call by the 2009 Australian of the Year, Professor
Mick Dodson for a national debate over the meaning of and the
date for Australia Day.

He said:

"A national debate about Australia Day should be part of the
transition to a republic, which seems only a matter of time
for a majority of Australians, becoming a republic would be
a powerful symbol of independence and our maturity as a nation."

"The symbolism would have real meaning if at the same time we
showed a renewed respect for the history of dispossession by
adopting a new date for Australia Day that marked both the
shift to a republic and recognition of original ownership of
this land by the first Australians.

January 26th could remain a public holiday to mark the arrival
of the First Fleet and the history of white settlement
akin to Thanksgiving Day in the US."

I'm sure that no Australian would complain about an extra
Public Holiday. I know I wouldn't.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 30 January 2009 6:56:05 PM
yep. In August.
Posted by Grim, Friday, 30 January 2009 7:19:25 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJ Morgan,

Anybody who knows what civilisation is would disagree with Warner’s idea of the condition. Civilised people do urinate and defecate in the same place they eat and sleep. They have sanitation systems, solid homes to live in and sleep in, and they don’t roam around all over the place: they stay in the cities they have built. (See the derivative of civilisation from Greek) They also trade, produce and enjoy the finer things of life.

I would obviously disagree with Warner on this subject, as would most people who actually understand such matters. The only thing you and I have ever agreed on is abortion and euthanasia.

You call me “uneducated, unaware (and) uniformed”. I disagree with you. You call me a racist. I disagree with you. And, your ‘responses’ have done absolutely nothing to change my mind. I will refrain from trying to match your insults in this, the last time I will take any notice of you.

Col Rouge,

Poor old Bushbred has to crow about his shooting ability too! At the age of 88, he should have come to terms with himself, and no longer be feeling the need to puff himself up in the sadly mistaken belief that doing mickey mouse degrees and trying to get people to look up to him just won’t work if he didn’t have what it takes in the first place.

How about the country boys marrying full-blooded natives? He doesn’t say that he married a full-blooded native, though. (Nothing wrong if he did). Just another throwaway line that makes him look more ridiculous and sad in his attempts to aggrandise himself.

BB certainly has problems, not the least of which is his lack of a humorous approach to life, such as yours.

Foxy,

The opinion of the academic to whom you refer is just that: an opinion – no worthier than your opinion or mine. You clearly agree with him, I disagree. The day should stay as is, or we should do without it altogether, so faricial has it become.
Posted by Leigh, Saturday, 31 January 2009 11:37:16 AM
I meant do NOT defecate...., of course. Don't want you to waste a post on that, CJ.
Posted by Leigh, Saturday, 31 January 2009 11:40:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11