The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Changing Australia Day > Comments

Changing Australia Day : Comments

By Andrew Bartlett, published 28/1/2009

Calls to change Australia Day are manna from heaven for radio shock jocks and history warriors: it’s no surprise Kevin Rudd wants to shut down debate.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 16
  13. 17
  14. 18
  15. All
CJ Morgan,

I know anyone who disagrees with you is ‘ignorant’, and I have not read the book to which you refer. But I suggest that a modern dictionary will back up my version of what is a civilisation, as will common usage. I repeat: there is no way Australian aborigines could be classified as civilised, no matter what other qualities they have which you might admire. See Shadow Minister,too.

As the book you mention was written in 1937, I am unlikely to find it. But, knowing you and your political persuasion, I feel sure that you would read only what you wanted to read - i.e. whatever suits you. Whatever I read, I always look for an opposing view so that I can make up my own mind.

Good to see that your only insulting word was “ignorance”.

Bushbred,

We all know about your mature (very) history studies; there’s no need to mention it in every post because it means absolutely nothing. It explains why you are a brainwashed lefty, and that’s about all.

To call Col Rouge a “rightist” and liken his opinions to that of Nazis is the typically crude comment of an uneducated person who came to learning late in life, and believes whatever he is told by academics. You were probably better educated when you were driving bullocks.

The slavering after an education you didn’t have when you should have is shown in your “…plenty of educated people to back me up” nonsense. For somebody claiming to have studied in the area you say you have, you seem unaware of the ‘History Wars’ and the vast differences between your ‘educated’ people when it comes to reporting what they all claim to be facts.

Just try being yourself, instead being a poser.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 29 January 2009 7:37:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't have a problem with January 26th as Australia Day. But then I am white, middle class, and quite content with my lot in life.
Because Australia Day is supposed to be about all of us - celebrating who we are, and the fact remains there are people out there who don't have much reason to celebrate. I think that Banjo summed it up
rather well in his post. We can still retain January 26th - if we
became a Republic on that day.

Then the date could perhaps be acceptable to everybody.

Just a thought.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 29 January 2009 9:11:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wubble you,
Being a professional historian, can you confirn or correct what I said in my post on page 3, in relation to La Perouse. And that other nations were interested in this country.

Be nice to get another opinion,I was speaking only from memory.

Foxy,
That was not me that made that comment. I am not convinced we need a republic.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 29 January 2009 10:17:51 PM
Bushbred “not many thanks for your uneducated inhuman hardhearted opinion”

You are welcome to it, regardless of how pathetically judgmental you seem.

Regarding your opinion to my right of centre perspective, you are entitled to think what you want.

That is the difference between me and the “Nazis” who you scurrilously attermpt to associate me with.

The Nazis would give you a good kicking and send you of for some genteel reeducation.

Conversely, my values accept you are freely entitled to hold and express whatever views you want, regardless how moronic and half-witted they might be.

“Also as one who has gained Honours in the Humanities, one could certainly find plenty of educated people to back me up.”

For someone who has studied the "humanites" yet confuse my view with those of Nazis, I suggest you go and demand a refund.

So do I assume your "honours" are fropm one of those the cornflake box degrees or something you bought off the ‘net?

“Must close by saying, Col Rouge, that it is not only you I've got my
sights on, but the bulk of my so-called Aussie mates as well.”

That could be scary, except it is obvious, you are barely capable of firing blanks, let alone come up with real ammo.

Kipp “Col Rouge, you are a bit of nomad yourself, have you ever spent enough time in these various countries, to inform you of the respective countries history of being.”

I have lived 33 years in UK, 2 ˝ years in USA and about 25 years in Australia. I have never claimed to have lived anywhere else, although I have travelled to a few places on both business and pleasure.

I have also made a habit of reading, fairly widely and believe we can only avoid future problems by learning from the events of history.

So I personally find "history" an extremely interesting area of study.

But I must admit, I fail to comprehend the point you are trying to make.
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 29 January 2009 11:31:03 PM
BANJO PATERSON IS NOT BANJO !

The proximity of the two pseudos is understandably creating confusion. We are two different persons with, apparently, opposing views on this particular subject.

Hopefully, it is possible to change one's pseudo. If so, Banjo Paterson will now mutate to Saltbush Bill. If not, please be aware that Banjo is not Banjo Paterson and vice versa.

Saltbush Bill, alias, Banjo Paterso
Posted by Banjo Paterson, Friday, 30 January 2009 5:13:43 AM
BANJO PATERSON IS NOT BANJO !

Apparently it is not so easy to change one's pseudo or nickname as it is called here. I have filled out the enquiry form on line and am now waiting for someone to either change my name to Saltbush Bill as previously advised, or tell me how I can do it myself (if possible).

In the meantime, I remain,

Yours faithfully,

Saltbush Bill, alias, Banjo Paterson
Posted by Banjo Paterson, Friday, 30 January 2009 5:40:22 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 16