The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Not another wave of Islamophobia please! > Comments

Not another wave of Islamophobia please! : Comments

By Alice Aslan, published 17/12/2008

Islamophobia still dominates any debate on Islam and Muslims in Australia, and the terrorist attacks in India are likely to exacerbate this.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. ...
  14. 15
  15. 16
  16. 17
  17. All
Bush basher

Well... This article is in large part about Kayser Trad.

Even if you have some special little bit of logic that that means it is the wrong string to talk about him in.. doesn't mean we all do...
Posted by meredith, Saturday, 20 December 2008 11:19:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
no, the article is not "in large part about trad". it is extremely remotely about trad.

trad's OLO column is referred to exactly because of the *responses* to trad's column, which - whatever the merits of trad's column, and i couldn't see them - were largely off-topic, fact free, pointlessly nasty, and reduced everything to an absurd and deliberately obtuse "islam is bad" rant. just as, as pericles predicted, has happened in this thread.

the topic of this thread is guilt by association, whether all muslims should be stained by the actions of the nasty few. or, if you like, whether all christians should be regarded as disgusting because of poisonous toads like boaz-polycarp.

once again:

*) read pericles' paragraph

*) look at the thread and see where from where the hate is really emanating.
Posted by bushbasher, Saturday, 20 December 2008 11:58:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BB,

This is the last I want to converse with you, it’s not going to go anywhere and posts are preciously limited here. So you can have last say in you like.. names n all.. I don't care, as I said it doesn't work anymore.

To get to the point, a lot of people really resent attempts at censorship. People will discuss what they like, where they like and when they please. You need to come to terms with this.

Again just especially for you, in case maybe you’d like to put your hand up against racism:

“ The criminal dregs of white society colonised this country, and now, they only take the select choice of other societies, and the descendants of these criminal dregs tell us that they are better than us. And because we are not elitists, we tolerate them. Yet they want us to assimilate “

http://worldwar111.blogspot.com/2006/02/racisim-islamic-response.html

This is real racism, hard core racism.. At the level of KKK intensity. This is what the author, Nursul, as we, should be fighting.
Posted by meredith, Saturday, 20 December 2008 4:08:11 PM
Bushbasher

Read this and then tell me where the hate comes from, Bushbasher.

"the topic of this thread is guilt by association, whether all muslims should be stained by the actions of the nasty few. or, if you like, whether all christians should be regarded as disgusting because of poisonous toads like boaz-polycarp.
once again:
*) read pericles' paragraph
*) look at the thread and see where from where the hate is really emanating."

Read this and then tell me where the hate comes from:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1574694/Bishop-warns-of-no-go-zones-for-non-Muslims.html
Especially read the reader's comments- hopefully they will open your eyes.

Fifteen years ago, I knew nothing at all about Islam. I thought it was just another religion, that people had a right to practice in freedom, allowing others to have their religion or not have a religion at all, in other words "FREEDOM".

Most of what I have learned about it since, is bad.

Obviously, I don't suggest that ALL muslims are wicked. Unfortunately, they have done nothing to condemn and stop the extremists in their midst. We can only assume that they agree with them, or at least don't mind what they are doing.

Islam is NOT just another religion, it is also a totalitarian political system, with territorial ambitions, fuelled by Saudi money.

Australia is but a few steps behind what is happening in the UK.
When will you get it?
Posted by Froggie, Saturday, 20 December 2008 4:16:47 PM
Bushbasher

Tell me again where the hate comes from:

Note the dateline of this article, just a few weeks ago....

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23584232-details/Islamic+radicals+make+mockery+of+hate+laws/article.do
Posted by Froggie, Saturday, 20 December 2008 4:32:38 PM
People, please! Calm down for a moment.

There's a fundamnental disconnect here, which is causing the argument, rather than the core issues.

The real argument is not whether there are extremist Islamic groups. The answer is that 'yes' there are. This has never been disputed (so polycarp, drop the smug "now we agree" crap).

The disagreement is whether Islam in its totality should be treated with hostility, or whether the individual groups should be criticised.

Nobody is saying violent groups should not be criticised. What is being said, is that grouping them all as one is retarded because this can only lead to increased violence.

So, the links people put forward need to be placed in context - are you simply saying "look! Look! Violent fanatics!"

If so, I say, well, duh. To those who are saying Islam in its entirety is a threat, I would first ask what your goal is.

Nobody is discussing the realities of this dunderheaded approach.

Those hostile critics of the entire religion need to accept a few home truths:

1) There's a billion muslims in the world - most don't commit violence, even if there're many fanatical groups making problems.

2) Islam is not going to disappear. Therefore, anyone with a modicum of sense can see we need to find a way to co-exist with the majority.

3) The moment you say the violent interpretation is the "correct" one, you lose all ability to encourage moderacy.
You can't say "shucks, your religion is actually violent and evil and if you were a true follower you would be too, but hey, be nice."

The truth is, there's no "right" answer. Only different ways to live life.

There are sections of the Qu'ran which forbid violence. Encouraging people to follow these is more effective than insulting them for the bits which don't.

(Polycarp, I know I'm about to make an ad-hominem statement, but how stupid can you be? Can't you see that telling people the only "right" way to follow their religion is to be violent, can only lead to an angry response?)

Cont'd
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Saturday, 20 December 2008 5:15:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13