The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mass delusions and their consequences > Comments

Mass delusions and their consequences : Comments

By John Perkins, published 4/11/2008

The god delusion is pathological. Not only America, but the whole world, has been forced to pay the price.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. All
Yes colinsett, the ‘religion’ of voodoo economics is vastly more destructive to our future than any conventional religion or god delusion.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 4 November 2008 4:32:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is a quote from the original article, which I want to comment about: "All the benefits of modern society, such as increased longevity and prosperity, derive from our technical advancement. These in turn derive from rational inquiry, investigation and innovation. The human mind is thus capable of great feats of ingenuity. Yet both individually and collectively we remain susceptible to superstition, deception and delusion. On the rational level, our brains operate differently from how they do on an emotional level. When not entirely psychotic, this irrationality can be regarded as benign aspect of human nature that is without adverse social consequences."

I happen to believe that not all benefits of longevity and prosperity are derived from rational inquiry, investigation and innovation; but the reason I happen to be able to believe in a higher cause, or Spirital realm of causal occurrances, is because I have experienced many events which have no other rational explanation.

I am not the sort of person whom gets carried away with religious definitions of spiritualism, or with deep and meaningful explanations of God. To my mind, God is simply a force of living being which is, by definition, greater than a human mind can conceive of. Therefore we can't define and explain and express what God is, by the very definition of God. Therefore, such attempts at explanation must inevitably always approach manifesting as psychosis.

That fact however, can not undermine belief based in positive life affirming experiences.

Yet it is also very true to say, that most overt, and dogmatic, expressions of religious belief, and especially demands for subservience on the basis of what individuals reckon might be Godly enough for themself, are wrong and need to be opposed.

This is an interesting debate.
Posted by Curaezipirid, Tuesday, 4 November 2008 5:28:17 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
O U G
Mass doesn’t mean majority in this context simply means many, a group.

CJ Morgan, Fractelle, tebbutt and John Perkins
It seems to me that all of you are guilty of being selectivity, inconsistency in your logic and making some dubious assumptions.
You appear to be
1. Confusing Creationism and its many conclusions with a belief in ‘a’ God, the two aren’t interchangeable. The fact that they SOMETIMES occur together doesnt prove cause and effect.
2. Neither does Religiosity (God Delusion) necessarily preclude rationality in all other areas.
3. The God delusion necessarily equates to extremism/evangelism or more irrationality that all the above including me periodically indulge in…its part of being human.
4. You all seem to assume “I can so everyone can” which is a very tendentious and over simplistic view of others. Your abilities or tendencies aren’t the base level of these traits.

The issue of opposition to “intelligent (sic) design” (aka creationism) as an alternative to science is indeed a worrying issue and should be strongly opposed. I believe its desperation tactics for those with vested interests (maintenance of their power or control). It’s simply a case of the unscrupulous using people’s insecurities for their own less than godly purposes.
In that context attack the cause not the effect.

Just in case you ignored my other posts I am an atheist and I deplore Evangelistic zeal regardless of its dogma.

Neither does it necessarily mean that they don’t want to know the truth it’s simply their choice to believe. Some need the sense of security ‘God’ bring a greater context.

Simply put life without its delusions would be simply less even unpalatable for some.
Delusions are often a defence mechanism and and often the only thing that keeps them going to then deny them that IS both delusional, Cruel and insensitive to other’s emotional/psychological short comings.

I defy any of you to prove that "a belief in a god" is intrinsically bad. Rather on closer analysis human excesses are most often the problem, religions are the excuse.
Your turn.
Posted by examinator, Tuesday, 4 November 2008 6:28:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting and thought provoking posts Curaezipirid and examinator.

Examinator
You are very kind. You have reminded us that sometimes when vehemently defending our position we forget that for many, religious beliefs are very important.

Sometimes we also forget that there is more to unite us than divide us and religion is not itself THE problem. Religion like many other aspects of life, may be a divisive tool but the root cause of the problems attributed to religion, are probably as you say, attributable to some other aspect of human nature (the greatest probably - economic disparity).

Humans tend to fear others who are 'different' - perhaps as a survival mechanism for the pack and hence a pack mentality. These differences can be religion, class, wealth, culture (dress, language, food) or politics.

The best approach is probably to accept each other for our differences, and if some need religion for spiritual strength, peace or a moral compass perhaps they are better for it than without it.

:)
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 4 November 2008 7:36:17 PM
Outstanding sir!

I only wish I could put it so succintly. Thanks mate.

Mind you religion is not the only mass delusion is it? Here's a few more :

. Democracy exists,
. You can win at gambling,
. Politicians work for you,
. No one will quote Bible scripture on this thread!

I hadn't read these comments when I wrote this so I'm now looking.

Mr Right claims wars aren't caused by faith. Excuse me, do you read Mr Wrong? Try the history section at your library, please.

Ludwig turns his blind eye, yet again.

One Under God qualifies for scripture quoting although he fails to attribute such.

Snake wisely questions One Under's lucidity. A little too much spirutal over imbibing perhaps One Under?

Examinator, as an arheist I find some of your statements rather odd. The life without delusions one in particular. You see as an atheist you should know only too well how that lack of seeking, confusion and fear of the supposedly unknown clouds our minds. Once we know the truth, no God, that cloud clears and the need for that particular crutch vanishes. There are many more we can choose from of course.

You have noticed some talking about Satan I suppose. How does that help anyone mate. It's a big part of most religions you know.

Your defiant challenge is ridiculous mate. You have proved it immediately with the subsequent words. Any spiritual or political theory looks good on paper. Add humans and it becomes corrupt, misused and useless. You have already proved it. No argument, there's no point to such. Take a Gold Star out of petty cash for proving your own statement wrong please.

There's only one way a non atheist should interpret your comments. That is as condescending and insulting but I notice you are thanked. Hmmm.
Posted by DavoP, Tuesday, 4 November 2008 8:07:04 PM
Examinator,
"...Delusions are often a defence mechanism and and often the only thing that keeps them going to then deny them that IS both delusional, Cruel and insensitive to other’s emotional/psychological short comings..."]

A bit like telling a child that Santa Clause doesn't exist?
When we're all grown up and have been educated to think critically using rational thought processes, we should be capable of getting through life without an imaginary friend to look out for us. Teaching people that they can believe in magical beings who make them feel comfortable and secure is cheating them out of reality and also encourages stupidity plus an acceptance of being content with not knowing nor understanding how the world around them functions.

"...I defy any of you to prove that "a belief in a god" is intrinsically bad. Rather on closer analysis human excesses are most often the problem, religions are the excuse.
Your turn..."

Religions are the excuse, and the religious are happy to use them. So why give them an easy out - let them be judged and let them stand accountable for their behaviours and excesses as other people are, don't accept excuses. Take away the religion that they hide behind and they are seen for who and what they really are.

[quote]"...(Religion) With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion"
Steven Weinberg
Posted by human interest, Wednesday, 5 November 2008 12:23:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12