The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Israeli Diaspora soul-searching > Comments

The Israeli Diaspora soul-searching : Comments

By Antony Loewenstein, published 15/4/2008

The Jewish establishment fails to understand the shifting sands of the debate.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. All
This is a bit blunt.
But if Israel is so important to all thes hawks, then why dont they go and live there and put their lives where there mouths are.
Posted by Ho Hum, Tuesday, 15 April 2008 10:37:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Antony

This is a great article. What courage you have to challenge Zionism.

Remarkable. I enjoyed your book too.

Keep the debate going. I find it interesting too that Jewish voices here are far less critical than in Israel itself of the actions of the Israeli state. I wonder why. Your views help explain why.
Posted by Passy, Tuesday, 15 April 2008 12:10:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What I find bizarre, and both Uri Avnery and Gideon Levy have stated it baldly, is how Israel dared to chastise the Chinese over Tibet when their occupation of Palestine has been longer and more brutally illegal than the Chinese in Tibet.

I think those here have to explain to us all why they believe the Palestinians should pay for the war crimes of the west. They need to confront the fact that Australia and the west were not welcoming during the years that jews lived in peace in small numbers in Palestine. They need to confront the fact that the murdering scumbags who put their families into gas chambers looked just like me and not like my Palestinian friends.

The murders had names like Pfeiffer, Schultz, Goebbels, Hitler and others, not names like Mohammed and Ali, Akram or Soliman and they were almost all blue eyed blonds like me.

I for one don't think any Palestinian on earth deserves what Israel is doing to them because the cowards in the west stood by while Hitler enacted policies of extermination that they were well aware of.

Let us not forget that they loved Hitler while he was disposing of the communists and unionists and said nothing when he started on the romanies, the disabled, the homosexuals and then the jews.

Come to think of it the jews never mention that of the 110 million killed in wars last century they made up only 5% of the deaths, they never mention the others at all.

Then they hijack the word anti-semitic, forgetting that semites are all arabs and assyrians.

Good on you Ant.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Tuesday, 15 April 2008 2:23:07 PM
Given there is still no resolution over the sovereignty of the West Bank and Gaza and given that Israel long ago left Gaza these claims of "illegal," "colonialism" are not only infantile, they care contradicted by the facts. There is still no state called "Palestine" even after 60 years when the world has undergone the most momentest and revolutionary changes.

We have shamefully devoted far too much attention to this lower order issue. But the whole world has finally woken up over the past few years to just what extraordinary pressure and attack the Israelis have been for decades.

And Marilyn Sheperd, perhaps if the Palestinians acted more like Tibetans there would be more sympathy for them

Given how much Marilyn Sheperd and Antony Loewenstein (and their ilk) hate Australians, white people, Christians, and Jews so much, perhaps they should migrate to "Palestine" and in a spasm of solidarity with their subalterns-most-worthy simply "Strap On" and stop lecturing the rest of us.
Posted by John Greenfield, Tuesday, 15 April 2008 2:59:33 PM
Thank you John Greenfield for so eloquently proving Antony Loewenstein's point. Somehow you have translated concern over lack of debate into "hating Australians, white people, Christians and Jews". Enough said.

Mind you, Marilyn Shepherd's comments aren't any better. Her claim that "the jews" never mention other deaths in WWII is nothing more than prejudiced claptrap. Can I suggest Marilyn that you try reading some 20th century historians, many of which are Jews, to put you right on that score.

While you're at it, you might also do some research on Middle Eastern history in the 1940s and 50s. You'll discover that hundreds of thousands of Jews were expelled from Arab countries, from the homes they'd lived in for centuries and forced to move to Israel. The Arab governments then reneged on their agreements to resettle equivalent numbers of Palestinian refugees, preferring to leave them in squalid camps where they would prove an embarrassment to Israel. Funny how after 50 years they're still there. You'd think if these countries really cared about the Palestinians, they'd have made some effort to improve their living conditions while within their own borders. Instead they just treat them like pawns.
Posted by Cazza, Tuesday, 15 April 2008 3:35:11 PM
Cazza

Actually nothing I have said "proves" his "points" which are overwhelmingly misrepresentations and/or based on ignorance of history and law and coloured by an obssessive and pathological enmity towards Jews, Christians, and Australia.
Posted by John Greenfield, Tuesday, 15 April 2008 3:45:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy