The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The hidden assaults > Comments

The hidden assaults : Comments

By Joanna Bourke, published 10/9/2007

In bedrooms all over the country, women are still subjected to sexual violence from their spouses.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. All
In intractable cases, where experts are called in to conduct evaluations, rates of sexual abuse allegations being declared false or unfounded are 55% (Benedek Schetky, 1985); 36% (Green, 1986); 50% (Thoennes Tjaden, 1990, 160 cases); 75% (Wakefield Underwager, 1991, 500 cases); 77% (Dwyer, 1986).
Posted by aqvarivs, Saturday, 15 September 2007 12:01:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aqvarivs,
I find it difficult to believe that there is any spousal rape.

If a husband tears off the wife’s pyjamas (as written in the article), then she will need a new set of pyjamas, and more often that not it will be the husband that has to pay for the new pyjamas.

Also he could get divorced, in which case he will lose nearly everything.

So in the area of spousal rape, I would say that there would be close to 0.00% occurring in this country.

But in feminist literature, it would be 100.0%
Posted by HRS, Saturday, 15 September 2007 11:52:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Seeker: The people equating regrettable sex to rape are you and a small pack of very sick and callous people who are clearly conditioned and have an apparent underlying hatred of assertive women and women who have enough self-esteem to flick men like you.

You dish your silly baseless assumptions out but find it difficult to respond with anything that doesn't expose you for the disgruntled and irrational divorcees that you are.

The best evidence for this is that you and your crew are obsessed with firing your bullets at women and men who clearly have genuine concern for victims of rapists.

You're getting to the level of web stalkers now. You're dysfunctional and need help.

For other posters who don't get it, Seeker, knows my post was "amusing" because it was a parody of one he's posted to attack a feminist.
Posted by donald blake, Saturday, 15 September 2007 12:19:08 PM
HRS, I'm sure there is a minority of incidences of "rape" in the marital bedroom. There are both sexually aggressive men and women who seek to dominate the flesh as there are men and women who seek to dominate the word. Those who feel powerless due to their personal inadequacies strike out in untold ways and by diverse means. We live in a conflicted society of mixed messages. A diffused grey of instability, and only those with a solid moral and ethical foundation are going to come away with out any scars. Very few people are willing to do the right thing and accept their portion of responsibility. For the rest life happens in a vacuum. They never have contributed to their condition. They have only two rules. Who ever calls the police first wins. And a lie isn't a lie. It's strategy.
What I have said here should not be misconstrued to mean I accept any form of rape as tolerable. I don't. But, we very rarely have anyone who is willing to include the number of lies that drive such articles or the sexual-political manipulation and underlying power struggle that led to the rape that led to the article. There is no vacuum that breeds events and just willy-nilly pops them into unsuspecting lives. We effect each others lives. We need to understand that dynamic and take responsibility for our part not just point fingers to escape our participation.
Posted by aqvarivs, Saturday, 15 September 2007 1:14:44 PM
Donald Blake
I think the definition of what is actually rape varies considerably.

When in Australia, the author of the article appeared on Late Night Live with Phillip Adams, and during that program it was mentioned that a survey undertaken of male University students in the US showed that they had considerable confusion regards what is rape.

I would think that feminists are attempting to have the definition of rape broadened as much as possible, like what they did to the definition of domestic violence.

And of course everyone knows that it is only the husband who carries out domestic violence, because he is male.
Posted by HRS, Saturday, 15 September 2007 3:50:15 PM
Johny R, Donald B and James Pursar: -

I expect you've realised by now that any article written by a woman and dealing with women's issues eventually turns into a dialogue between the same group of people who support, congratulate and shore each other up through a series of posts whose content never changes from thread to thread.

Going back over these poster's personal record of responses finds them repeating themselves, using the same phraseology and stolidly ignoring every counter-argument that has ever been used. There is a marked dearth of phrases like "I see your point" "I do apologise" or "I agree" towards anyone other than themselves.

However, please don't give up. One becomes so tired of hitting brick walls and so sickened by the hurtful and vindictive personal retorts that its easier to just give up and leave them in possession of thread after thread - which can also be proved by going back over past threads.

So I have been cheered immensely to find counter arguments continuing so late into a thread - which has prompted this response:

Duncan - do your really expect that a cheery "How r u? Btw, ever suffered spousal rape" would get a truthfull response? Despite the trivialising of the subject here spousal rape is an intimate, shaming and soul destroying experience which women do not often confide even to each other though they have shared sorrows and laughter for years.

And JamesH - to even entertain the idea that women are so stupid they cannot tell the difference between a friendly tap on the bottom and the betrayal of a marriage that is spousal rape is dishounoring the entire female gender.

HRS - in the face of the poster who admitted his partner had suffered spousal rape; I, who have also gone into graphic detail; other posters who have before admitted knowledge of such things - and the author's research - it is demeaning, insulting and a complete slap in the face to accuse us all of lying by suggesting that "0.00% of such crimes occur in this country.
Posted by Romany, Sunday, 16 September 2007 3:57:22 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12